April 29, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

April 29, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:45 pm

God's Not Finished With Me Yet

Philippians 1:6
"...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

We have a tendency to become very frustrated with believers that are not quite where we are spiritually. Our patience is further tested when they have been a believer just as long or perhaps longer than we ourselves have been. In such circumstances we become very judgemental in regard to their walk and faith in the Lord.

A man once bought a home with a tree in the backyard. It was winter, and nothing marked this tree as different from any other tree. When spring came, the tree grew leaves and tiny pink buds. "How wonderful," thought the man. "A flower tree! I will enjoy its beauty all summer." But before he had time to enjoy the flowers, the wind began to blow and soon all the petals were strewn in the yard. "What a mess," he thought. "This tree isn't any use after all." The summer passed, and one day the man noticed the tree was full of green fruit the size of large nuts. He picked one and took a bite. "Bleagh!" he cried and threw it to the ground. "What a horrible taste! This tree is worthless. Its flowers are so fragile the wind blows them away, and its fruit is terrible and bitter. When winter comes, I'm cutting it down. But the tree took no notice of the man and continued to draw water from the ground and warmth from the sun and in late fall produced crisp red apples. Some of us see Christians with their early blossoms of happiness and think they should be that way forever. Or we see bitterness in their lives, and we're sure they will never bear the better fruit of joy. Could it be that we forget some of the best fruit ripens late?

We should allow the Lord to work in His time in other people's lives, and be more watchful of our own growth.

Prayer: Pray for patience as you continue to grow in your relationship with the Lord. Pray also for patience as you deal with fellow believers who are perhaps maturing slowly.

"I am not what I might be, I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I wish to be, I am not what I hope to be. But I thank God I am not what I once was, and I can say with the great apostle, "By the grace of God I am what I am." ~John Newton
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby wiggins » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:49 am

Thanks Rev_doc. It's a great reminder that God's not done with us yet,, and not only us, but our brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus, as well. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Return to Devotional Readings