April 28, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

April 28, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:56 pm

Your Attention

Proverbs 21:13
"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered"

We live in such a hurried world that we have a tendency to become too busy and pay little attention to the needs of those around us. Not only does this produce great stress, but it will also affect the priorities of our lives.

Charles Swindoll once found himself with too many commitments in too few days. He got nervous and tense about it. "I was snapping at my wife and our children, choking down my food at mealtimes, and feeling irritated at those unexpected interruptions through the day," he recalled in his book Stress Fractures. "Before long, things around our home started reflecting the patter of my hurry-up style. It was become unbearable.
"I distinctly remember after supper one evening, the words of our younger daughter, Colleen. She wanted to tell me something important that had happened to her at school that day. She began hurriedly, 'Daddy, I wanna tell you somethin' and I'll tell you really fast.' "Suddenly realizing her frustration, I answered, 'Honey, you can tell me -- and you don't have to tell me really fast. Say it slowly." "I'll never forget her answer: 'Then listen slowly."

We can become so wrapped up with what is going on in our own lives that we do not hear the cries of those so near and dear calling out for our attention. Slow down and focus on the needs presented to you. Take time to hear the voices.

Prayer: Ask God to help you take time, as much as is needed to listen and focus on what others need.

"Attention is like a daily bouquet of love." ~Bob Keeshan, "Captain Kangaroo".
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Master Kenzo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:21 am

It's so true. Sometimes I wish there were 30 hours in a day...I do too much. Band, Jazz Band (IN THE MORNING!!), Website Commitee, 2 Youth Groups, Prayer Meetings, and soon to be Tennis Lessons, so I'm always in a rush, and I find it hard to stop and listen sometimes. I must say, I needed this one. Thanks, Doc.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Return to Devotional Readings