Suffering made for Good

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Suffering made for Good

Postby Okami_Kunoichi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:45 pm

I often look at my alcoholicism, addiction and my medical illnesses as curses. While two of those things in a fashion are my own doing, they are also diseases and were unhealthy ways that I coped in my past. Now, I see myself having a hard time understanding my medical illnesses that leave me unable to walk as well as other significant life impacts.

While i know it will take a wiser person then I to try and understand fully the concept of suffering, I do hold to the promise that was given. That good would somehow be worked for good for those that love Him. I have found despite the suffering that I have endured, that i have witnessed others endure, as well as heard the exploits of others suffering, I truly do see the good that can come of it. For that i believe that is one of God's graces he has given. To know that perhaps the suffering can have good, rather then just be "pointless", can be much to the sufferer.

Pointing this to those that suffer from a particular sin, such as lust, stealing, lying, or infidelity, when they begin their recovery, and even more so when they share their recovery, the biggest thing that is given to another person is Hope.

That is what sharing to others our struggles, our courage and most of all, our faith in our God that is so important. I, for one, know that I am often tempted to remain silent of my struggles out of pride, shame and fear. Most of all shame. To tell others also makes my own pain more real. That is scary. I do know now, that if I don't share, not only am I now allowing myself to have the support I so desperately need, but I am also not allowing others to have the Hope they too so desperately need.

Scripture to Consider: Rom. 5:2-3 - Paul says that more than rejoicing in our hope, we rejoice in our sufferings which produces endurance, character and hope. Through faith, suffering brings about hope in God and, through endurance, salvation.
Some of us have taken very hard knocks to realize - Job or no job, relationships or no relationships - we simply do not stop drinking/using/(insert here), so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of our dependence on God.
Okami_Kunoichi

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:14 pm

"Where there is ruin, there is hope for treasure."
-Rumi

"What makes the desert beautiful," says the little prince, "is that somewhere it hides a well."
-The Little Prince
Mr. SmartyPants

Return to Devotional Readings