Sheer Will does not work

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Sheer Will does not work

Postby Okami_Kunoichi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 am

As an alcoholic and addict, there comes a point in recovery where you have to acknowledge that sheer aspect of will simply does not work. I may be able to not drink or not use, but those are just symbols of what is really going on. Its the emotional and spiritual that is having the problems, not just my addictions.

This can be said in our spiritual recovery. I have often found myself thinking that by sheer aspect of will, I can stop specific sins that plague me. While I may not wish to admit it, this is me playing God. Its me trying to take control over something that I really have no control over. Yes I am responsible for my actions. I can choose to not cheat on my husband, kill my neighbor or steal from someone. I can't control the desire to, nor can I control if a thought enters my head that is less then spiritual.

This is why God is needed in the first place. If i could stop sinning by sheer force of will, then I would have by now. Obviously it doesn't work. It is then we must admit that we need a power greater then ourself to take that one for us. This being God.

So then, are we not responsible for our actions? Of course we are! That responsibility does not mean the same as control.

So then the choice becomes: When are we going to stop trying to be God, and let God be God?

Scripture to consider:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Some of us have taken very hard knocks to realize - Job or no job, relationships or no relationships - we simply do not stop drinking/using/(insert here), so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of our dependence on God.
Okami_Kunoichi

Postby Mr. Rogers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 am

That's a pretty important point.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Alcuinus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:30 am

O_O

That is a fascinating observation! I totally agree and we can see from the Scriptures exactly what you said; that this wonderful, glorious thing called repentance is certainly the gift of God. (link)

I more than any other human being know how wretched I am and what kind of person I'd be if repentance were left to my own will. Such thoughts drive me to the understanding that God is so gracious and merciful and I in no way deserve His great love! Truly there is no greater love than that demonstrated by our Lord.

May God continue to give us the grace to serve Him as I know I am entirely feeble! Your words are very encouraging, my friend. :)
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Midori » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:39 am

Always full of great insight you are. It took me way too long to find this out myself. Perhaps because I was relying on my own intelligence to figure it out.
Midori

Postby Okami_Kunoichi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Thank you very much for your support :)
Some of us have taken very hard knocks to realize - Job or no job, relationships or no relationships - we simply do not stop drinking/using/(insert here), so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of our dependence on God.
Okami_Kunoichi

Return to Devotional Readings