Study Group

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Study Group

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:04 pm

Ok so I thought this might be a good idea...but I want to lay down some ground rules.

Since ppl have different interpretations of the Bible, I know those differences are going to come out and you or I may not agree. That being said this is not a place for debate. I could care less to know whether Mary's eyes are brown or blues (happened during the plague, priests argued this while ppl died outside their doors).

Anyways, I am truly on a hunt for knowledge and while church can provide that, so can this.

So the first thing I would like to talk about is maybe Proverbs.

(this is not a "meeting" type of thing..ppl post when they want and if they want to switch topics as long as everyone else thinks its ok, then we can switch)

I think proverbs is really full of a lot of wisdom. At the same time..I feel like even though its divided in chapters that each "lesson" seems to be not put together. Maybe that's just me.

So if someone wants to start us off on this with either a verse or topic. I'm kinda at a loss except that ppl wanted to start with proverbs.
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby Sheenar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Read as a whole, Proverbs flow really well. For example, Solomon talks about folly and then he contrasts it with wisdom --and both are depicted as women. A lot of the subjects covered in Proverbs flow into the next.
I would love to discuss Proverbs. It full of great stuff (as is the rest of Scripture, of course).
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Kunoichi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:51 pm

alright well I guess i'm randomly pick a verse LOL

I love this one:

Provers 21:23
"If you keep your mouth shut, you will stay out of trouble!"

Anyone relate to this?
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 pm

I'd actually like anyone's take on this verse or issue in general: Proverbs 1:15 "My son, do not walk in the way with them, Keep your foot from their path" ...I was told that this also goes along with 2 Cor. 6:14 (about how we shouldn't be unequally yoked with unbelievers). Before I got saved several years ago, I was really tight-knit with a group of friends from college; I'm still close with them even now but I find it very different since they're not living the type of lifestyle I am; I feel like I can only say and do so much with them. They even joke that they'll use me as a voucher to get into Heaven: "Oh Marie's got us covered, all she has to say to God is 'they're with me!', and then He'll let us in!" (which saddened me to hear that of course) ...sorry to sort of go on a tangent, it just got me to thinking.

Is this verse saying that we can't befriend non-Christians? I mean I know Jesus ministered to people from all different walks of life, but didn't spend too much time with them, right? I guess I'd like some insight on this, I'm confused. I'd love to read anyone's experiences in dealing with non-Christian friends as well.
shiroineko

Postby shiroineko » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:26 pm

ohhh....LOL I like the above verse you mentioned, Kunoichi; so true! especially at my job (i.e. workplace gossip >.< yuck)
shiroineko

Postby Sheenar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:50 pm

[quote="shiroineko (post: 1257082)"]I'd actually like anyone's take on this verse or issue in general: Proverbs 1:15 "My son, do not walk in the way with them, Keep your foot from their path" ...I was told that this also goes along with 2 Cor. 6:14 (about how we shouldn't be unequally yoked with unbelievers). Before I got saved several years ago, I was really tight-knit with a group of friends from college]

Of course you should be friends with non-Christians! Building intentional relationships with people is an important way to show them Christ by living life with them.
But non-Christians should not be your "best" friends --the ones you tell everything to, are closest with, etc. You need Christian friends for accountability, to pray for each other, and for fellowship (and there's more).
I'm sorry this answer isn't very in depth --I'm pretty tired, but I hope this helps.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:17 pm

[quote="shiroineko (post: 1257082)"]I'd actually like anyone's take on this verse or issue in general: Proverbs 1:15 "My son, do not walk in the way with them, Keep your foot from their path" ...I was told that this also goes along with 2 Cor. 6:14 (about how we shouldn't be unequally yoked with unbelievers). Before I got saved several years ago, I was really tight-knit with a group of friends from college]

I think what this verse is saying more about is that you should not walk the same path. "We are made to be of this world and not conformed of it." Jesus himself made himself aquainted with those who were not followers. However, in one respect I think Sheenar was right, your closest friends should be those that are like minded with you (Christ followers).

I personally have a lot of friends that are not Christ Followers, and while I am able to hopefully plant some seeds there are times this has caused me a lot of grief. They don't always understand what I do or why I do it. And I can't always explain why and if I do, sometimes it will upset them. So we have to be mindful that while it isn't against the Lord or wrong to have non-christian friends, we can't expect them to always act, think or make decisions as someone that fears the Lord.

Kunoichi

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:33 pm

and btw, shiroi , I think its great that you brought up the above verse. That's what I want for this group..that we just let the Spirit guide us on what to talk about, cover etc.

If any of you guys have an verses on suffering (primarily physical suffering) I would appreciate a few verses plus whatever else you want to talk about in proverbs ^_^

Sorry for double post >< lol

Kunoichi

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 pm

I like this verse a lot: "The Lord works out everything for his own ends - even the wicked for a day of disaster." (Prov 16:4)

I believe that there is always someone who is geared towards making your life miserable, and all you would want to do with them is remind them "who's boss" or some kind of vengeance. It can sometimes be hard to believe (and certainly easy to forget) that we should let them have their way, because the Lord will certainly have his way on them. After all, the Word is loud and clear in stating that the Lord is the true Judge.
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Kunoichi » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 am

Thankyou st. attitude

I think too, this verse explains how much God is in control. Revenge will be his, even the most vilest of criminals will confess our Lord is God and praise Him. I thank God too that suffering and pain is never out of control. The Lord will comfort in this life and when we are finally home

Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Wow thanks for your input on the verse on my previous post you guys - really helped me to see that I can continue friending them and praying for them but that I can only go so far also. Kunoichi, i've had that same problem too - it's like I can't go into too much detail with non-christian friends in why I do the things I do or why I think and feel a certain way - they don't like my answers sometimes and see it as being "close-minded"

st. attitude, thank you for that verse, I really like that one and I don't think I've come across it yet. It really can be easy to forget that people who can come across as unpleasant and make us miserable need to just be left alone, since God says "Vengeance is Mine"(Duet. 32:35). I deal with this lady at work each day who is completely nosy, acts so angry and annoyed with everything I do, it seems like; the old me would've wanted to go off on her already lol. thank you for the verse though - it reminds me that I really do need to pray for her more and to just let God handle people and situations like that. :)

I like this verse on suffering - James 1:2-4 "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." trials and suffering, as painful as they are, are very helpful since they help us to draw closer to God and become fully dependent on Him alone. God loves us and wants to refine our characters.... He sees that we are capable of growing in Christ's image and developing the patience and passivity in dealing with tribulations. It humbles us, helps us to win souls...even to be an inspiration to others, especially to those that are suffering also. My aunt had once dealt with cancer and helped me to come to Christ while I was dealing with the disease myself. I had met other people going through cancer also and some of them blamed God for the illness, but having it completely humbled me and I knew there had to be a reason why God would allow it to happen. I saw it as a positive thing, since it led me to Him. :)

sorry it took me a few days to respond, I had a ton of stuff to do ^_^()
shiroineko

Postby Kunoichi » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:46 pm

shiroineko:

Thankyou for that verse..it comforts me and reminds me. Thankyou again and praise God for that verse.

I just got dx with fibromyalgia (possibly) and I know that as painful as this disease is, as depressive as my thoughts get sometimes...I know God is there. I don't know why I'm being allowed to suffer this...its hard and I am human and weak but I know that God will still use me...even if i am bedridden, God is greater than any disease.

its reminds me of what one of the apostles said..We are made perfect in our weaknesses (I don't remember where the verse is lol) but I think that God..can really use us at our most broken point and most humble point. maybe that is why God said that the poor are among the richest because I think they know what life is really about.

And no worries on response time, that's why it isn't a "meeting" time its just whenever ppl want to. *smile

All praise and glory be to God forever and ever! Amen

Kunoichi

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:04 pm

I read something interesting in Genesis...well I had read it many times but I just didn't connect some things.

When the Lord created us, well he spoke the world into existence and formed us with his hands. So he has given power to speaking.

Do you think that it is better to speak what you feel? It is hard..because if it is a sin..we like to hide.

So I guess my real question is:

We are told to confess our sins to eachother, Yet most of us are ashamed...why do you think that is and how powerful do you think speaking is? Is it more powerful then what you say in your heart?

Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Kunoichi...I'm sorry to hear that you've possibly been dx with fibromyalgia...I've researched it a little bit and the symptoms don't sound too fun to deal with :( I know how you feel...it feels unsettling not knowing why one is being allowed to suffer through something painful, not just physically but emotionally also......you just brought to mind this verse in 2 Corinthians 12:10 "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong"....I love that verse, it encourages me whenever I am going through something....thank you for reminding me of that verse about being made perfect in our weaknesses! lol I wish I could remember where that is also, I do remember hearing it before at some point *makes mental note to look for it* and I definitely agree with you and believe that God can use anyone who is completely broken in spirit and becomes humble.
shiroineko

Postby shiroineko » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:17 pm

I actually have trouble confessing sins to brethren a lot, to be honest with you...I guess I get caught up too much in what other people would think of me... or how they would look at me as a Christian and whether or not I am walking with God. I think a lot of people may steer away from confessing because of the judgment factor...there's other reasons too I'm sure. I've met "holier than thou" Christians who've totally torn me apart for doing stuff as a new Christian, when I wasn't mature enough in my walk yet...after that experience, I've been praying for God to bring trusted Christians in whom I can confide in and help me to become accountable for things.

I think speaking is very powerful...the tongue can promote life but it can also be deadly (I think there's some proverbs on that....I gotta go seek those out also) are you asking about the power of speaking when confessing sins to others? or just in general?
shiroineko

Postby Kunoichi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:51 am

First thankyou for that verse, I'm oging to write it down and pin it up on my wall.

Secdondly, I am just asking about speaking in general .If you noticed much of Jsus' iracles and that o his disciples was based on speaking. Jesus said, your sun is healed, but didn't touch them (at least not always_. When he healed the blind man with his spit and mud, it wasn't the mud that saved him but rather Jesus said again go to the priests you are healed.

So i believe God regocnizes hwo powerful the spoken word is. Now that is not to say that what is said in your heart isn't just as powerful but I think the reason the spoken word is so powerful is because when you speak it, you are bringing it into existence: whether it be anger, judgement or forgiveness.

And yes I have been torn down by those who say that belong to our father and yet have no love. I would only confess to those who are mature enough to handle it. Trust me those that are holier than thou, even if they say they have been christian for a long time, I believe are immature themselves and do not follow as they say.

I am going to post a little thing on judgement, it is merely my opinion and should be taken as such as well as it should be read with the guarding of the Holy Spirit so that if a correction against me should be made, it would be done in the love of Christ and not judgement itself.

Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:07 pm

that was amazing, thank you for sharing your thoughts on that...I never stopped to think about speaking and its power. I've had to tape verses all over my computer and walls to look at to speak out loud when in trouble..I think it's one of the ways God's strengthened me in getting through temptation.

I agree...with some Christians that have been claiming to walk with Christ for years, I can sense immaturity on their part by looking at their fruit. It totally brings back to mind the verses in Matthew in chapter 7 where Jesus describes false prophets and how you will know them by the fruits they bear, whether they are bad or good.

oh please do post about judgment...that's actually another topic I'm really interested in learning more about. :)
shiroineko

Postby shiroineko » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:15 pm

oh, several posts back you had mentioned that you were looking for verses on physical suffering. Have you read through Job yet? Just out of curiosity :)
shiroineko

Postby Kunoichi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:16 pm

^_^

Okay well attached is this little thing I wrote on judgement a while back *hugs hope it helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kunoichi

Postby Kunoichi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:17 pm

shiroineko (post: 1259311) wrote:oh by the way...you had mentioned that you'd like verses on physical suffering before. Have you read through Job yet? Just out of curiosity :)

yes...it is something that i am identifying with more and more lately...i now begin to really see how hard it was for Job..and how hard it is for other ppl as well

Kunoichi

Postby rocklobster » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:51 pm

I, too, know how responsible we must be in our speech. That's why I don't use curse words very often. I think it shows a measure of maturity when you don't use them as readily.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:31 am

I think it can go deeper than just cursing, I think even those who seem "sweet" (Ie no cursing etc) can have just as bad of intentions and mind.

But i am glad that you try to keep your speech pure, not easy and I try as well.

Kunoichi

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:45 am

Yep. George Carlin said it best: "The same words can hurt or heal. It's all a matter of how you use them".
Ever notice how so many words have more than one meaning? Something to think about, people!
Oh, and Kunoichi, could u pm me if you decide to do a study group on Luke's Gospel?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kunoichi » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:43 am

yea ^_^

Do people here want to study Luke? we can...since we aren't really doing this formal or anything

Kunoichi

Postby Zeth.exe » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:20 am

I think I'd like to join in on this. Luke sounds good to me.
-Sam
Zeth.exe

Postby Kunoichi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:40 am

ah welcome ^_^

Okay so we'll start Luke monday i guess..altho i will post some things here from what i'm learning..

ya know where it says Jesus' story about the rich man? How he had to sell all his possessions to the poor. The man walked away sad (I don't know what verse that is so if anyone can find it that would be great!)

But anyways...ya know some pastors teach that has a "conceptual idea" but i don't think that's the case. Some pastors say, "Just give ten percent that's enough" but I don't think that's all what God says. He may have said give ten percent to the church, but if you look at the early church "No one wanted". They took care of each other.

Being without money atm (literally zip) along with no job..in some ways its easier for me. I can see how God provides when I can't. But at the same time....are we really willing to give up everything to follow God. that's been my test. Right now, I have to give up my sense and illusion of trying to control things. I have to give up my independence of dependency on myself. (Meaning i try to rely on myself TOO much).

So the question is: are we REALLY willing to follow God the way he intended? That is something I have been going over a lot and really been shaken to the core and convicted of not really following God all the time.

Also, if we are really ready to follow God, we also need to expect that not only will other people see what we are doing as "radical" but that other Christians will say the same.

Just some thoughts.

Kunoichi

Postby shiroineko » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:48 pm

yay studying Luke would be wonderful ^_^

the verse about the rich young ruler is in Luke ch. 18 verses 22-24 (it might be in one of the other Gospels too, I'm not sure).

you make a great point.....it also reminds me of the poor widow who put in something like two cents into the church treasury, which was all that she had, and Jesus had remarked that she had put more in than all of the others (they had plenty of money but she didn't). It just amazes me...her faith and trust was so great, that she gave up everything and knew that God would provide for her. It's in Mark 12:41-44 if anyone hasn't read it yet.

I think there's possibly worry and fear about surrendering and trusting if we were willing to give up such and such amount, as well as our lives. That's something that I've faced for a while now....things start to seem dull and hopeless, and then I end up doubting. I definitely want the faith of that widow who was willing to give up everything she had because of her love and trust in God.

This also reminds me of the verse where Jesus tells his disciples to take up their cross and follow Him (if anyone has that verse that would be great, I can't remember where it is)
shiroineko

Postby Sheenar » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:16 pm

"And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow me."
-Luke 9:23

I look forward to studying Luke. I hope I'm able to be active in this. School and life in general is crazy, but I will try. :D

Sheenar

Postby Kunoichi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:12 pm

well as i said before..this isn't formal..if you want, starting tonight or tomorrow post whatever you wan about the book of Luke and we will talk about it

Kunoichi

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Can I be the one who starts it off? I think since it was my idea after all, I should be the one. That way, when I tell you people about who St. Luke was, it'll be more natural.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Next

Return to Devotional Readings