Bible Reading Group

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

Postby oro! » Mon May 26, 2008 7:37 am

All right, I think we should set a date to which we have to start, so this idea won't die and fizzle like many before it. Any ideas? I was thinking something like next week.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon May 26, 2008 12:34 pm

I am for going into Romans... I love that book.

I have YIM and MSN so I have a few options.

I am ready to start when everyone else is... I may miss sometimes though because I just got a job!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Kunoichi » Mon May 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Two things:

1. You can do a chat room with Aim that could involve more people or we could simply designate a time to meet in Chat on Here

2. I may be in the hospital next week due to being sick again. If you are starting next week please pm me and i will let you know my own AIM SN or if we are meeting on Chat
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Postby animewarrior » Mon May 26, 2008 4:47 pm

hmm... *has looked over the posts* Well I'm 99% sure that we shall start in John. *appoints self CO-GM* (lol hope this is ok Amzi ^^) Well it's not easy for all of us to join in on chat every so often so if you can't make it to our chat meetings due to circumstances(which will be set up by Amzi and everyone at a later date)..here is an idea.

Bible Gateway has a online searchable Bible in 50 (50!!) different versions. If you wish you can copy and paste the chapter or so of John into this thread that you read and your thoughts on the passage. Please use make it clear what is the Bible text and what is your writing. (aka "Bible Verse" - Place and then [color="RoyalBlue"]your comments[/color] if you want to keep your post all one color then just make sure its clear. ^.^ )

We will get our chat meeting dates up at a later time.. XD This is a work in progress people :thumb:

(Amzi - heh. hope this post is within reason.... Can I CO-GM? XDDD)
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Amzi Live » Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 pm

oro! (post: 1229691) wrote:All right, I think we should set a date to which we have to start, so this idea won't die and fizzle like many before it. Any ideas? I was thinking something like next week.

Cool! Lets do that.
Since some have suggested John as a good starting point lets start there then.
I'd love to read Romans too,but it gets a bit complicated sometimes.It'd be a good idea to be clear on the basics (like Jesus life,and his death),and then keep moving up.I'm no Theology professor,so you're all free to speak your mind.
animewarrior (post: 1229834) wrote:hmm... *has looked over the posts* Well I'm 99%]Bible Gateway[/URL] has a online searchable Bible in 50 (50!!) different versions. If you wish you can copy and paste the chapter or so of John into this thread that you read and your thoughts on the passage. Please use make it clear what is the Bible text and what is your writing. (aka "Bible Verse" - Place and then [color="RoyalBlue"]your comments[/color] if you want to keep your post all one color then just make sure its clear. ^.^ )

We will get our chat meeting dates up at a later time.. XD This is a work in progress people :thumb:

(Amzi - heh. hope this post is within reason.... Can I CO-GM? XDDD)

I was actually thinking of looking for a CO-GM.Didn't know whom to choose though.All of your ideas are great,and since you're the one I trust the most I think you'd be great as a CO-GM.
Very well Animewarrior is Co-GM
You are a Godsend
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby animewarrior » Mon May 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Amzi Live (post: 1229841) wrote:Very well Animewarrior is Co-GM
You are a Godsend

YAY!! XDD *dances*:hug:*glomps Amzi* koff* heh. I shall remain your very serious CO-GM:cool: from now forward. *bows* :thumb:At least on this thread!XD:lol:

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby GeneD » Tue May 27, 2008 12:55 am

I'd just like to point out that MBlight and I live in a different time zone to most of you, so meeting up in the/a chat might be a bit difficult for us. As far as I know I'm 7 hours ahead of American EST and an hour more for every zone moving to the other coast. It's not impossible to coordinate something, it usually just means that I have to stay up really late, but just so you know, if I can't make a chat.

I like the idea of copying the piece we're reading in here, which means we can revise it any time we're on the net after we've read it on our own.

Also; yay for Co-GM's! :thumb:
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby MBlight » Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 am

Mmhmm, GeneD, you're usually on here really late any way!!! It's cool, late is cool...

I just have a small error to point out, maybe some genius can help me out with this... I'm a new Linux user and trying to download AIM did not wanna work... if you can help pls pm me!!!

Now on to the topic on hand... Yay! for CO-GM's!
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby MBlight » Wed May 28, 2008 12:26 am

Amzi just asked me to open our group in prayer...

Father,

I thank you for the opportunity you have given us to dig through the Bible as a group. I thank you for giving us guys like Amzi and Animewarrior to lead us through this venture, I pray that you would give them wisdom and guidance as we learn more about your word, that you will build their strength of character as we go along and that you will give them the patience to be effective leaders. I offer up each person who has joined us in this group, that you would reveal the inner secrets of Your heart to every one who is here and is willing.

Lord, pour your blessing and love over this thread and keep our hearts pure. Help us with a supernatural understanding for your Word and build us stronger as a community of believers. Please walk with us on this new path.

I pray this in Your holy name, Amen!
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Amzi Live » Wed May 28, 2008 5:25 pm

Amen
The BRG (Bible Reading Group) has officially begun.*throws confetti in the air ,and blows party horn*
Here is a link to the chapter we'll be reading.
We'll read John 1 for Monday,and try to read one chapter a day from then on.
John 1
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby animewarrior » Thu May 29, 2008 9:47 am

Just a note. You can change the version you are viewing on the link that Amzi posted. It is currently in the King James Version. Thought people would like to know. Look forward to dicussing this on Monday! XD

animewarrior

Postby oro! » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:32 am

So, I read the chock-full chapter. How are we going to discuss it?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby MBlight » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:36 am

Hi! I would just like to let you guys know quickly that because I'm writing an exam tomorrow afternoon I probably won't be joining our first discussion *sniff sniff* but will DEFINATELY catch up the moment I get home!

I'm really sorry that I'll be missing it!!

oro, I'm not sure yet how we're gonna discuss but maybe, if you would like, could you post which parts you liked the most (spoke the most to you), why and what you would like other's opinions on? I'll pm our GM's quickly and find out what the plan of action is...

Thanking ya!
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby animewarrior » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Ok guys... since Amzi is currently not around... I'll going to add you guys on my MSN...if you don't wish to give out this info on your personal tab I'll PM you. Hope this is ok and no worries you don't need to install anything ... I think... I know that MSN is compatible with Yahoo and I'll have to do some research on AIM.... btw if you're not able to get into the dicussion than you may do as MBlight suggests and post the parts you find interesting and explain why.

animewarrior

Postby oro! » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:15 pm

So John has so many things in each of its chapters; it's linear, but there is much more a discussion of ideas more than events. Some of the things that stuck out for me this time were a reawakening to how John clearly tells that Jesus is God. Everybody remembers the first few verses of John, but sprinkled throughout the whole chapter, and especially the first half, are affirmations that Jesus was not just a man.

One that I've missed that I was so excited about was John the Baptist's spiel about Jesus, his younger cousin:

15 John bore witness about him, and cried out, "This was he of whom I said, 'He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.'") ESV italics mine

Jesus is the preexistent creator:
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him.
You don't need Colossians to say that, although people usually go there.

So, anyway, two interesting observations from as many verses. Think of what many other things can come from this chapter alone...
oro!

Postby GeneD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:30 pm

Some of my thoughts. (I'm quoting from the KJV from the link, but I read from the NKJV at home.)

12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Just an awesome verse. I think the NKJV says the "right to be sons of God", but I like the "power to become". I think it shows that we can have authority as children of God.

I've read John 2 and it's only in this chapter that Jesus does His first miracle. By this time His (or some of) disciples are with Him. This shows that even before He did any miracles they saw something significant in Him. -I wonder what it must have been like.

Something a little sad -Here John the Baptist is convinced that Jesus is the Christ, but later (Matt 11) when he's in jail, he sends his own followers to Jesus, asking if he's really the Christ. It's a bit sad to see that he doubted what he once believed true, but it just shows that this happens to everyone. Even the great can fall into doubt and need assurance, but John didn't just let it go, but made an effort to seek out God and the truth.

46And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.
I added the bold, I thought that was funny.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:13 pm

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood[a] it.
- NIV

I've read this chapter a lot over the years and the last 3 verses really stand out to me as what reallly goes on in our lives... It's really said, isn't it? That people really run from the light... :/ It's also sad that those who have the light choose to hide it, to douse it so no one can see it...

14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,[d] who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Can you guys even imagine what this verse means? (I'm sure you can, but humor the question XD)

To me it's like... Jesus gave up Paradise to come to this place where people didn't even know who he was! To come to a place where the very people he came to save would eventually kill him. All because of love...

I dunno about you guys, but wow.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby animewarrior » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:33 pm

Kk... I'm going to post my thoughts on the chapter and then I'll put up the plans for discussing Chapter 2 of John,.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Thoughts on John:

John 1: 9 -11
The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. [NIV]

This bit stood out for me. In my version of the NIV Bible it says that "his own rejected him". For me that was kind of sad because, well being rejected isn't the greatest thing.. :(... so it shows just another of those things that Jesus had to go through for us.

I also thought the bit that GeneD mentioned:
John 1:46
"Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?" Nathanael asked.
"Come and see," said Philip. [NIV]

was HILARIOUS!!! I literally almost burst out laughing at this part... XD
So that's my thoughts on Chapter 1..

-----------------
PLANS FOR JOHN CHAPTER 2~

Alright I emailed everyone on the thread that I need IM addresses from.... so far I have ChristianKitsune, GeneD, Oro!, Amzi, Chilli_Salsa, MBlight, and Kunounchi. Our next meeting should be on Friday. I'll be online from around 3 pm - 5pm and then 7pm - 9pm... or so.... this is in Mountain time... I don't know how this translates for everyone else.. Please PM me if there are any questions or concerns...

PS - Prince Asbel. I'm not sure if you actually are part of this so please PM me if you are actually planning to be a part of this. I wasn't sure by your posts. sorry. :sweat:

animewarrior

Postby Sheenar » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:14 pm

You forgot me, Animewarrior...*feels left out* --I still want to participate...if that's ok, that is.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby animewarrior » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:19 pm

Sheenar (post: 1232520) wrote:You forgot me, Animewarrior...*feels left out* --I still want to participate...if that's ok, that is.

*smacks self on the forehead* I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING SOMEONE!!! this is waht happens when I'm overtired... sooooo sorry...:sweat: please don't feel sad it wasn't on purpose.... I'm PMing you right now... sorryy sorry sorryy

animewarrior

Postby GeneD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:54 am

animewarrior (post: 1232499) wrote:PLANS FOR JOHN CHAPTER 2~

Alright I emailed everyone on the thread that I need IM addresses from.... so far I have ChristianKitsune, GeneD, Oro!, Amzi, Chilli_Salsa, MBlight, and Kunounchi. Our next meeting should be on Friday. I'll be online from around 3 pm - 5pm and then 7pm - 9pm... or so.... this is in Mountain time... I don't know how this translates for everyone else.. Please PM me if there are any questions or concerns...

PS - Prince Asbel. I'm not sure if you actually are part of this so please PM me if you are actually planning to be a part of this. I wasn't sure by your posts. sorry. :sweat:
As far as I could work out, I'm 9 hours ahead of so called Mountain Time, but I'm not 100% sure. If I'm correct it means 3 pm Mountain time 12 pm my time. I should be on the net, but I can't guarantee it unfortunately.

Also I have a suggestion. Chapter 2 is pretty short, so why don't we cover 2 and 3? Just a thought.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby animewarrior » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:04 am

Also I have a suggestion. Chapter 2 is pretty short, so why don't we cover 2 and 3? Just a thought.

Sure that's fine. I didn't really preview Chapter 2 yet...

SO EVERYONE CHAPTER 2 & CHAPTER 3 FOR FRIDAY!!!!

animewarrior

Postby Sheenar » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:43 am

We were supposed to chat yesterday? *completely forgot*

What are your thoughts on the 2nd and 3rd chapter?
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Prince Asbel » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

I'm a bit late for this, but anyway... John 2 is kind of short, but both chapters are filled with awesome verses. John 3:1-21 is my favorite part. This really gives us some insight into the spiritual ignorance that was in the priesthood at that time. Even a man of the pharisees didn't understand the basic ideas of the spirit. Jesus talks about quite a few things. The depravity of man, a person being born again of the spirit, claims of divinity... I get a lot out of these chapters as they not only confirm the bodily resurrection of Christ, but also the exclusive manner in which God loves the world.
Prince Asbel

Postby Amzi Live » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:28 pm

John 2
This chapter holds one of my favorite miracles which I first herd in Bible School.
Jesus goes to this wedding celebration(party) with his disciples,and when disaster strikes we see him turning water into wine.This is so cool because we see that Jesus is no boring teacher.He enjoys spending time with real people in real time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Amzi Live » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:41 pm

Oh,yeah.I've been kinda busy because of a math immersion course I'm taking at college,and it's extremely fast passed.Just wanted to excuse myself for not being able to post every day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby MBlight » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:35 am

:( So I know I haven't yet posted so I'm gonna put everything in one big shebang... please bare with me!

The first thing I want to say here is.... I LOVE the way John 1 was written (Amplified version) it's so incredibly poetic, I just wanna go write a hundred songs based on some of these verses... >goes off with guitar and locks self in room for hours<

Secondly I would like to mention that John 1 - 3 was an emotional rollercoaster for me... some bits I just wanna cry, other bits I burst out laughing and GeneD looked at me funny!:sweat:

John 1:

10He came into the world, and though the world was made through Him, the world did not recognize Him [did not know Him].

11He came to that which belonged to Him [to His own--His domain, creation, things, world], and they who were His own did not receive Him and did not welcome Him.

12But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name--(D)

13Who owe their birth neither to [c]bloods nor to the will of the flesh [that of physical impulse] nor to the will of man [that of a natural father], but to God. [They are born of God!]

It's so incredibly sad that the very people God created didn't recognize him! It's the epitomy of rejection... and yet he carried on to die for them in a gruesome manner... the epitomy of love! If I were God & so many people had rejected me and my teachings I would've left them to screw up by themselves a long time ago. But, unlike what I would've done "But as many as did receive him, He gave the authority to become the children of God" It really reminds me of a song by The Afters "Thank God I'm not the one"

John 2:

Verses 12-17 is one of the only passages in the Bible where Jesus becomes really angry and verse 17 explains why so beautifully:

17And His disciples remembered that it is written [in the Holy Scriptures], Zeal (the fervor of love) for Your house will eat Me up. [I will be consumed with jealousy for the honor of Your house.]

It's one of the saddest things of our generation, we have no more zeal for the honor of God's house! We hardly ever hear of Christians standing up for things they believe in, how much more do we do this ourselves? I once heard a saying that says if Christians had the passion for what they believe in that Muslims do, this world would be revolving around love. and it's so scarilly true!

On a less serious note, I am rather tired at the moment and my mind is running wild with crazy thoughts and I really really wanted to share with you this funny image I got when i read verses 3 - 4.
3And when the wine was all gone, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no more wine!

4Jesus said to her, [[a]Dear] woman, what is that to you and to Me? [What do we have in common? Leave it to Me.] My time (hour to act) has not yet come

I could just imagine Mary running to Jesus with her eyes wide:wow!: and her hands on her cheeks saying "Jesus, you will not believe what just happened!!!" >Mary pointing furiously at distressed bride and groom< "They have no more wine left!!!"

Now I fully realise that Mary would have been around the same age as MY mom and wouldn't have acted so childishly at all and would've rather said :shake:"The poor darlings, they've run out wine..." I just love the way that the Amplified puts Jesus' response "[[a]Dear] woman, what is that to you and to Me? [What do we have in common? Leave it to Me.] " *
imagines Jesus rolling his eyes, thinking "I can sooo handle this"*

John 3:

Now, if I didn't have such an awesome pastor and such an amazing cell leader I probably would've gotten ubber lost with the way Jesus explained to Nicodemus that He needs to be born again.... (random thought)

15In order that everyone who believes in Him [who cleaves to Him, trusts Him, and relies on Him] may [c]not perish, but have eternal life and [actually] live forever!

16For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten ([d]unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.

17For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge (to reject, to condemn, to pass sentence on) the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him.

This is such a well-known verse and makes me incredibly sad to look at the country I live in and see the kind of violence that has occured in the last month. A great majority of South Africans declare christianity as their own, yet they reserve the right to themselves to judge others freely and take lives at their whim. God didn't even send His own SON into the world to judge people!!!

Verse 18 goes on to say that he who trusts in the Lord receives no condemnation, and the amplified says he will not be rejected.... just thinking back on my thoughts of chapter 1 that He was rejected by the ones he loved and still he offers us this... WOW!!!

27John answered, A man can receive nothing [he can claim nothing, he can [f]take unto himself nothing] except as it has been granted to him from heaven. [A man must be content to receive the gift which is given him from heaven; there is no other source.]

Just such a confirmation of what God has been working in my heart, I am nothing, have nothing, will always be nothing without God and His blessing on my life!:dance:
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby oro! » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:39 pm

So, when/what we going to try for next?
oro!

Postby MBlight » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 am

Is any one interested in chatting about what we've been reading this last week today or tomorrow. I think GeneD said the two of us are 9 hours ahead of most of you (we're in South Africa) so I'll be on from about 6 tonight GMT+2 until fairly late (say about midnight). Please PM me your YIM/Gmail/Skype if you're interested, I'd love to chat about what I've learnt!
I am a Rat Activist!

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby Kunoichi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:37 pm

is this still going on??

it seems to kinda have died a bit...well if it is still going on i would like to do it
I am on the forefront of battle against the demons of earth. All Praise and Glory be given to God Forever and Ever!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Kunoichi

Previous Next

Return to Devotional Readings