February 23, 2007

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

February 23, 2007

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 pm

That Which Hinders

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
Hebrews 12:1

Focus for a moment on those hindrances. Hindrances are those things that may not be sins, but still keep you from living a life totally surrendered to God.

Imagine you are at a track meet, and they’re lining up for the 100 meter dash. Everything’s fine except for one contestant. Instead of the regular shorts and track shoes, he’s wearing a snowmobile suit and galoshes.

Now that’s probably not against the rules, but he’s not going to win, if he even survives the race. The clothes are a hindrance to his success. Take an inventory of your life to see if there are any hindrances to your walk with God.

Prayer: Ask God to help you to recognize those things that would hinder you in your walk with Him.

"I am not what I might be, I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I wish to be, I am not what I hope to be. But I thank God I am not what I once was, and I can say with the great apostle, "By the grace of God I am what I am."
~John Newton
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings