February 15, 2007

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

February 15, 2007

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:45 am

Unmistakable Assurance

"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."
I John 5:13

An elderly man said to H.A. Ironside, "I will not go on unless I know I'm saved, or else know it's hopeless to seek to be sure of it. I want a definite witness, something I can't be mistaken about!" Ironside replied, "Suppose you had a vision of an angel who told you your sins were forgiven. Would that be enough to rest on?" "Yes, I think it would. An angel should be right." Ironside continued, "But suppose on your deathbed Satan came and said, 'I was that angel, transformed to deceive you.' What would you say?" The man was speechless. Ironside then told him that God has given us something more dependable than the voice of an angel. He has given His Son, who died for our sins, and He has testified in His own Word that if we trust Him all our sins are gone." Having read I John 5:13 to him he said, "Is that not enough to rest on? It is a letter from heaven expressly to you." God's Spirit used that to bring assurance to the man's heart.

Prayer: Ask God to help you live each day in the light of His assurance.

"God's grasp cannot be broken. None can pluck his chosen out of his hand."
~William S. Plumer
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Gooseberry » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:57 pm

Thank you - I needed this today. :)
"The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever." ~Isaiah 40:8
Gooseberry

Postby Mr. Rogers » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Thank you - I needed this today. :)

me too
Mr. Rogers

Return to Devotional Readings