February 14, 2007

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

February 14, 2007

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:27 am

Love Expressed

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
I Corinthians 13:13

On April 6, 2000, Ricky and Toni Sexton were at their home in Wytheville, Virginia. Shortly after noontime, Ricky, who suffers from Lou Gehrig's disease and is confined to a wheelchair, remained in the house while Toni went outside to walk the dog. As soon as she got to the driveway, a fugitive couple, Dennis Lewis and Angela Tanner, roared into their driveway, pointed pistols at Toni and ordered her into the house. The couple was on the run fresh from a gunfight with police in Tennessee.

Inside the house, the Sextons turned their hostage experience into an opportunity to demonstrate Christian love. The Sextons listened to their captors' troubles, fed them, showed them gospel videos, read to them from the Bible, and prayed and cried with them. During the thirty-six hours of negotiations with the police, Ricky Sexton refused his own release when Lewis and Tanner suggested that they might end the standoff by committing suicide.

The standoff had an unusual ending. Before surrendering to the police, Angela Tanner left $135 and a note for the Sextons that read: "Thank you for your hospitality. We really appreciate it. I hope he gets better. Wish all luck & love. Please accept this. It really is all we have to offer. Love, Angela and Dennis." One of the requests the fugitive couple made upon surrendering was to speak to a state police chaplain.

Christian love is patient and kind and is a powerful force.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to help you to express His love to all you come into contact with.

"Whoever loves much, does much."
~Thomas a' Kempis
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:57 pm

That is my favorite Bible passage!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Devotional Readings