November 30, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

November 30, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 am

Light Of The World

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'"
John 8:12

The statement of Jesus, "I am the light of the world," was made during a special Jewish Feast, the Feast of the Tabernacles. In the Temple treasury stood four massive golden candelabras topped with huge torches. They were said to be as high as the highest walls of the temple. There was a ladder for each and a young priest climbed up to fill four great bowls that held over 20 gallons of oil in each one. When the wicks were lit at night the huge flames illuminated all of Jerusalem. It was a night of feasting and dancing around these great torches. It was in the same place the next morning with smells and memories of the night before that Jesus proclaimed, "I am the light of the world."

Prayer: Thank the Lord for the light He brings to your life.

"Some people change their ways when they see the light, others only when they feel the heat."
~Annonymous
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings