October 26, 2007

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

October 26, 2007

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:44 pm

Doing More Than You Thought You Could

"If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles."
Matthew 5:41

Georgene Johnson got to the starting line 15 minutes early. The mistake cost her 20 miles and a pair of aching knees, but she said she's happy with the outcome. The 42 year old secretary was slated to run in a 10-kilometer race. Instead, she mistakenly joined about 4000 runners taking part in the Revco-Cleveland Marathon. Rather than quit, she hung on to finish the 26 mile race. "As stupid as I felt out there running, I'm proud of myself," Johnson said in a telephone interview. "I guess I was in better shape than I thought. I feel fine, although my knees are real sore this." The 10-K (6.2 mile) race, was to start at 8:45 a.m., the marathon 15 minutes earlier. Both Revco-Cleveland races used the same starting line. Four miles down the road, as the route left downtown and moved into residential areas, she said she "got that sick feeling that possibly I was in the wrong race." Another runner confirmed her suspicions. Johnson finished the marathon in 4:04, good enough for 83rd place in the women's division. Her longest run previously was 8 miles.

Prayer: Ask God to give you the endurance you need for daily living.

"There's a lot of living to be found within your limitations, if you don't wear yourself out fighting them."
~Helen Keller
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm

Wow. That's a great tie in! This hits pretty close to home today.

Thank you!
Mithrandir

Return to Devotional Readings