October 19, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

October 19, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:53 pm

In The Well

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
James 1:27

The composition teacher asked the class to write about an unusual event that happened during the past week. Little Johnny got up and read his essay.

It began, "Daddy fell into the well last week..."

"Oh, my!" the teacher exclaimed. "Is he all right?"

"He must be," said the boy. "He stopped yelling for help yesterday."

We are surrounded in the church, in the workplace, in our community with people in need crying out for help. Sometimes the cries stop and we assume they're now all right. The truth may well be that they have grown weary of seeing their pleas unanswered.

Prayer: Ask God to give you ears to hear the cries of those around you.

"The Christian faith is meant to be lived moment by moment. It isn't some broad, general outline--it's a long walk with a real Person. Details count: passing thoughts, small sacrifices, a few encouraging words, little acts of kindness, brief victories over nagging sins."
~Joni Eareckson Tada
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Puguni » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Wow, one of the more morbid tales. ;_; I was under the impression that he died!

Nevertheless, it's still a moving message. Thank you for taking time to do this almost everyday.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Rev. Doc » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 pm

Puguni wrote:Nevertheless, it's still a moving message. Thank you for taking time to do this almost everyday.

I apologize missing a couple of days this week. Things got pretty busy with a church member that had to have open heart surgery and it got very hard to keep up everyday. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on track next week.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings