September 29, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

September 29, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:41 pm

The Object Of Our Worship

"Jesus said to him, 'Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"
Matthew 4:10

On February 12, 304, magistrates in the town of Abitina in North Africa charged 49 Christians for not worshiping the Emperor Diocletian. A senator named Dativus confessed Christ and was immediately put on a rack and was tortured. Saturninus, a priest, also confessed the Lord and received a similar fate. Saturninus’ oldest son, Felix, was a reader in the church and was questioned if he had a copy of the Scriptures. Felix confessed Christ and said he said most assuredly that he had a copy of the Scriptures. The Romans beat him clubs. Last of all, the lad Hilarion, the youngest son of Saturninus remained. The pro-counsel said to him, "Will you follow your father and your brothers?" "I am a Christian", he confessed in his youthful voice, "Of my own free will I joined the assembly with my father and my brothers." The pro counsel then tried to terrify the boy by threatening torments. He said, "I shall cut off your hair and your nose and your ears. Then I will let you go." To this Hilarion replied clearly, "Do what you please; I am a Christian". The pro counsel ordered him to be returned to prison and all heard Hilarion's voice crying with great joy, "Thanks be to God!"

Throughout the ages to the present day, there have been those in authority who want the worship that is reserved for Christ alone. Who or what does you life give testimony to? This Sunday who will you worship?

Prayer: Ask God to help you stay focused on giving worship to Him and Him alone.

"What about you? What precious perfume is locked inside your heart that could be lavished on our Lord? The little treasures you and I struggle to hold on to may hold back opportunities to worship Him with extravagant praise, releasing ministry and service to Him that will bless all those around us."
~Angela Munizzi
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings