September 21, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

September 21, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:33 pm

Never Enough Encouragement

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
I Thessalonians 5:11

It may be that praise, like gold and diamonds, owes its value to its scarcity, as Samuel Johnson said, but most of us would prefer to err on the side of giving too much praise than too little. One who would agree was the wife of an old Vermonter named Eb. Old Eb was, like many of his breed, rather stingy with words. He said very little, and then rather grudgingly. One evening he was sitting on the front steps with his wife. The long day's work, the good supper, and the peaceful sights and sounds of dusk must have softened him up. He took his pipe out of his mouth and said, "When I think of what you've meant to me all these years, Judith, sometimes it's almost more than I can stand not to tell you."

Prayer: Ask God to help you to remember to always speak words that will build up and encourage others.

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you."
~William Arthur Ward
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Tigerchu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:00 pm

Thankyou for continually putting up these devotionals! I'll send you a private message, to make sure you get this.

Oop, you need to clear your inbox.
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Return to Devotional Readings