August 29, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

August 29, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:43 pm

My Jesus

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."
John 17:3

University of Chicago Divinity School each year has what is called "Baptist Day." On this day each one is to bring a lunch to an outdoor picnic area and the school invites one of the popular lecturers to speak at the theological education center. One year Dr. Paul Tillich came and spent 2 1/2 hours attempting to prove that the resurrection of Jesus was a lie. He quoted liberal books and scholars to prove his point and then asked for questions.

A older man near the back of the auditorium spoke, "Dr. Tillich (he took an apple out and began to eat) Crunch, crunch….I have a simple question….munch munch….I haven’t read any of those books you talk about….crunch crunch….I can’t recite the Scriptures in Greek….munch munch…I don’t know anything about Neibuhr and Heidegger….crunch..crunch…(he held up the core of his eaten apple) All I want to know is, this apple I just ate, was it bitter or sweet?"

Dr. Tillich paused and then responded, "I cannot possibly answer that question, I haven’t tasted your apple sir."

The old man dropped the apple core into his sack and said, "Neither have you tasted my Jesus". The audience of over 1,000 erupted into applause and cheers to which Dr. Tillech left the platform.

Prayer: Ask God to help you stand bolding in proclaiming the truth about who Jesus Christ really is.

"A good witness isn't like a salesman, emphasis is on a person rather than a product. A good witness is like a signpost. It doesn't matter whether it is old, young, pretty, ugly; it has to point the right direction and be able to be understood. We are witnesses to Christ, we point to him."
~John White
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Jingo Jaden » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:47 pm

*Applauds* ^^
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Return to Devotional Readings