August 27, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

August 27, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:12 pm

Used By God

"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free."
Ephesians 7-8

Myrtie Howell was a devoted Christian woman who lived a hard life. Her family was very poor. When she was 10, she quit school and went to work in a steel mill for 10 cents a day. She married at age 17. But in early 1940, her husband was killed in an accident. And when that happened, she lost her home. And she had to go back to work to support herself and her three kids. Years later, her declining health forced her to move into an old, high rise nursing home. A few weeks later, her youngest son died. Then she fell into a depression.

She said, "Lord, what more can I do for you? I've lost everything that ever meant something to me. And now I'm stuck in this dark, dreary room. I have nothing left to live for! I want to die! I've had enough of this prison. Take me home."

But then God spoke to her as clear as possible. He said, "I'm not through with you yet, Myrtie. Write to prisoners."

So she wrote a letter and sent it to the Atlanta Penitentiary. And this is what the letter said: "Dear inmate. I am a grandmother who loves and cares for you. I am willing to be a friend. If you'd like to hear from me, write me. I will answer every letter you write. A Christian friend, Grandmother Howell."

The letter was given to the prison chaplain. And he gave her the names of eight prisoners she could write to. Prison Fellowship gave her some more names. Soon, she was corresponding with up to 40 inmates a day. She became a one woman ministry reaching into prisons all over America.

She said, "I thought my life was over. But these past few years have been the most fulfilling years of my life! I thank Prison Fellowship! And most of all, I thank Jesus!" Myrtie Howell became a great missionary for God. Out of a one room apartment.

No matter what circumstances you find yourself, the Lord can use you for His glory.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to reveal to you ways to be used for His Kingdom.

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
~Francis of Assisi
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings