July 26, 2006

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

July 26, 2006

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:33 pm

Steer Clear Of The Edge

"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."
2 Timothy 2:22

The story is told of a man who advertised for a coachman. Among those who came were two who seemed to him to be particularly bright. He took them aside and asked them how near they could drive to the edge of a precipice without falling over.

The first candidate answer that he could go within half an inch and had
frequently done so, just shaving the edge and feeling perfectly safe. He then
asked the other the same question. "Well, sir," replied the man modestly, "I
really cannot tell, because I have never allowed myself to venture near the
edge of a precipice. I have always made it a rule to keep as far as possible
from danger, and I have had my reward in knowing that my master and his
family were kept from danger and harm."

The master had no difficulty in deciding between the two candidates. "You are the man for me," he said, "the other may be brilliant, but you are safe."

How close do we allow ourselves to come to the edge of temptation only to fall to sin? Best to play it safe and not come too close to the edge.

Prayer: Ask God to help you flee temptation, running instead into His arms.

"There are several good protections against temptation, but the surest is cowardice."
~Mark Twain
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby oro! » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:03 am

This is so true about my generation. Many kids just want to see how close to the edge they can get before it's considered a sin or wrong in society. It is hard to show my fellow students that there is a reason to follow God in faith, love and righteousness, with your whole heart. All I can do is keep on showing them through God's love and through words they can understand.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Return to Devotional Readings