September 2, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

September 2, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:46 am

God's Instruments

"If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work."
2 Timothy 2:21

A mother had taken her children to an antique shop to look around. She warned them to not touch anything. As she was looking around, she heard music. Piano music. Beautiful music. Vintage Rogers and Hammerstein. The hills were alive with the sound of someone's skill at the keyboard.

She turned to see who was playing, but couldn't see anyone. She walked closer. A small group of listeners had gathered at the old upright piano. Between the furniture she could see the small back of the pianist. Why, it's only a child! With a few more steps she could see her hair. Short, blonde, and cute like ... it was her daughter.

Her seven year-old was at the piano, hands racing up and down the keyboard. The mother was stunned. what gift of heaven is this that her daughter could play in such a way? But as she drew closer, she saw the real reason. Her daughter was "playing" a player piano. She wasn't making the music; she was following it. She wasn't commanding the keyboard; she was trying to keep up with it. Though it appeared she was playing the song, in reality, she was only trying to keep up with one already written. When a key would dip, her hands would dash.

Oh, but the look on her little face, delighted with laughter! Eyes dancing.

One could see why she was so happy. She sat down to attempt "Chopsticks" but instead played" The sound of music." What's more, she couldn't fail. one greater than she was dictating the sound. The little girl was free to play as much as she wanted, knowing the music would never suffer.

It's no wonder she rejoiced. She had every reason to. And so do we.

Hasn't God promised the same to us? We sit at the keyboard, willing to play the only song we know, only to discover a new song. A sublime song. And nobody is more surprised than we are when our meager efforts are converted into melodious moments.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to make you into an instrument that will play only His music of love to this world.

"I know I can’t do a thing to earn my salvation but now that I am His, I will do everything in my power to show Him how much I love him and I live to please the One I love who has transformed me with HIS love."
~K. Walden
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Felix » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:01 am

ToT That's just what I needed to hear right now. Thank you Doc, that was great.
Felix

Return to Devotional Readings