September 1, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

September 1, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:20 am

Can Anything Good Come Out Of This?

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."
Romans 8:28-29

As we look at the disaster that has taken place from Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf states, one may ask the questions of, "Why?" and "What now?" We may never know the answer to why in this lifetime. However, we are all in a position to answer the question, "What now?"

A farmer sent his nephew a crate of chickens, but the box burst open just as the boy started to take them out. The next day he wrote his uncle: "I chased them through my neighbor's yard but I only got back eleven." Answered the uncle, "You did all right. I only sent six."

Circumstances take place in life on a daily basis that can be termed disasters of varying degrees. How we respond to those disasters and what is produced as an aftereffect of the disasters is very telling about our closeness to God. In Romans 8:28-29 Paul is addressing believers. Those who do not know God know nothing about His nature or His interaction with mankind. Those who do believe recognize that in everything that happens, God can work good through it. How? Through His children. Those that He predestined to conform to the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ. Lives that exhibit compassion and mercy to those in need around them. How can any good come out of something like Katrina? You are the answer.

Prayer: Ask God to show you what you can do personally to be involved in the lives of those in need to make His love more evident.

"Let us not be content to wait and see what will happen, but give us the determination to make the right things happen."
~Peter Marshall
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings