March 18, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

March 18, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:20 am

God's Merciful Protection

"Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."
Psalm 25:4-5

"Please stay on the Path. Dangerous cliffs."

Cape Spear, the entrance point to the St. Johns harbor in Newfoundland, is both a beautiful and a historical site. The view from the cape, which makes its place in world geography by being the most easterly point in Canada, is spectacular, even hosting, on some days, frolicking humpback and fin whales. This is also the home of two beautiful lighthouses. But in addition to all of this, Cape Spear also draws thousands of tourists each year because of the remains of World War II armaments and barracks-anti Nazi defense structures built to defend Newfoundland from possible attack.

But throughout the entire network of graveled paths circling the cape were posted these warning signs: "Dangerous Cliffs" and "Please stay on the Path"!

One man's sons thought Cape Spear was a wonderful place to visit. They charged through the WWII ruins, raced up the hills to the lighthouses, and scared their poor papa to death by going out dangerously far on the cliffs. "Guys," he cried. "Read the signs! Stay on the path!"

Their faces glowed in eager anticipation as they started into one of their most annoying habits: Begging! "Why, papa? We're not at the most easterly point yet. We want to see if there are any whales! Besides, everybody is out on the cliffs! We want to see what they are looking at!"

Sure enough, most of the visitors to Cape Spear seemed to be ignoring the numerous, well-indicated warnings. So instead of arguing, he led them to a plaque that had been placed on the most easterly "safe" point on the cape. This plaque had been dedicated in the memory of someone's son who had been drowned from these same cliffs at the age of 24. Someone had failed to observe the warning signs and the results had been fatal.

"Look," he said, indicating the plaque. "This is what can happen to those who ignore the warnings. These signs aren't here to limit your freedom. They're here for your protection!"

His boys didn't seem to be overly impressed, but the incident produced the desired result: They stayed on the path!

Isn't it so typical for us to try and do things that we are warned not to do? If the speed limit is 65 mph, it means to drive a minimum of 75, and watch out for the cops! "Do Not Enter" signs mean to quickly peak through the door and see what's inside. "Don't touch" means to tap the object when no one is watching. Parents with young children can appreciate this one! Especially when in connection with hot stoves!

Is it any wonder that we, as humans, tend to ignore most if not all of the warning signs provided by God in His Word? The consequences of not doing so, however, are disastrous. If not now, then in the future!

Prayer: Ask God to help you ignore the desires of the flesh and to pay attention to the signs of life He has given to keep you on the right path.

"He has not made us for nought; He has brought us thus far, in order to bring us further, in order to bring us on to the end. He will never leave us nor forsake us; so that we may boldly say, "The Lord is my Helper; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me." We "may cast all our care upon Him who careth for us." What is it to us how our future path lies, if it be but His path? What is it to us whither it leads us, so that in the end it leads to Him? What is it to us what He puts upon us, so that He enables us to undergo it with a pure conscience, a true heart, not desiring anything of this world in comparison of Him? What is it to us what terror befalls us, if He be but a hand to protect and strengthen us?"
~John Henry Newman
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings