February 2, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

February 2, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:27 pm

The Scars Of Life

"Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.'"
John 15:20

Long-time actress and comedienne Gracie Allen once received a small, live alligator as a gag. Not knowing what to do with it, Gracie placed it in the bathtub and then left for an appointment. When she returned home, she found this note from her maid: "Dear Miss Allen: Sorry, but I have quit. I don't work in houses where there is an alligator. I'd a told you this when I took on, but I never thought it would come up.

We can't claim ignorance. Jesus told us that as His disciples the future would not be easy. We can anticipate a number of hardships. But in the midst of them His promise rings true, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5)

Prayer: Ask the Lord to help you in the face of persecution to stand strong with a bold witness.

Hast thou no scar?
No hidden scar on foot, or side, or hand?
I hear thee sung as mighty in the land,
I hear them hail thy bright ascendant star,
Hast thou no scar?
Hast thou no wound?
Yet I was wounded by the archers, spend,
Leaned Me against a tree to die; and rent
By ravening beasts that compassed Me, I swooned:
Hast thou no wound?
No wound, no scar?
Yet, as the Master shall the servant be,
And, pierced are the feet that follow Me;
But thine are whole: can he have followed far
Who has no wounds nor scar?
~Amy Carmichael
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings