April 8, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

April 8, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:00 pm

More Is Not Always Better

"What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?"
Matthew 16:26

A recent movie looked into the life of Howard Hughes. All he ever really wanted in life was more. He wanted more money, so he parlayed inherited wealth into a billion-dollar pile of assets. He wanted more fame, so he broke into the Hollywood scene and soon became a filmmaker and star. He wanted more thrills, so he designed, built, and piloted the fastest aircraft in the world. He wanted more power, so he secretly dealt political favors so skillfully that two U.S. presidents became his pawns. All he ever wanted was more. He was absolutely convinced that more would bring him true satisfaction. Unfortunately, history shows otherwise. He concluded his life emaciated; colorless; sunken chest; fingernails in grotesque, inches-long corkscrews; rotting, black teeth; tumors; innumerable needle marks from his drug addiction. Howard Hughes died believing the myth of more. He died a billionaire junkie, insane by all reasonable standards.*

Prayer: Ask God to help you not to focus on aquiring more, but to be thankful for what He has blessed you with.

"I had no shoes and complained until I met a man who had no feet."
~Anonymous
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Photosoph » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:33 pm

Wow. Even today I've been thinking about the act of thanking God. Thanks for this, Rev. Doc.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby TrigunX89 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:45 am

Indeed. I've been thinking about this too. Good message, as always. :)
TrigunX89

Postby VashTheStampede » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:19 am

Indeed. For who are we to not give thanks to the One that created us, filled us with love and joy, and redeemed our souls for eternity?

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

And for THAT, I think is worthy of thanks regardless of what we are going through in life.
I felt Your hands move mine aside, as those nails were driven down [[color=Gold]†][/color]
"There is a time for everything. A season for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

~Do not have feelings of animosity and resentment towards the depressing times in your life, but turn to God in praise for the days He gives you. Along with the times of joy He blesses you with, also come the times of hardship. For how can one reach for the stars without darkness?~

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

"And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

Digitally Imported Radio<-~-~Love Techno?~:cool:
Myspace!<--PM me for info if you wanna add me:sweat:
VashTheStampede

Return to Devotional Readings