February 23, 2005

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

February 23, 2005

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:15 am

Guilt Free Living

"Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled t cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water."
Hebrews 10:22

A New Jersey artist who capitalized on people's needless guilt by selling them "guilt kits." Each kit contained ten disposable brown paper bags and a set of instructions which said, "Place bag securely over your mouth, take a deep breath and blow the guilt out. Dispose of bag immediately." Amazingly, about 2,500 kits sold at $2.50 each! The artist was in tune with just how much guilt people seem to carry around with them.

Of course, guilt serves its purpose, and we understand the use of the kit as a symbol of ridding ourselves of unnecessary, or destructive guilt. But guilt might better be handled at its root.

To live free from needless guilt, try these steps:

1. Use your spiritual resources. There is great power in knowing that, in an ultimate sense, you are forgiven by God if you will ask.

2. Seek forgiveness from any others who were affected, if possible.

3. When a mistake is made, resolve never to repeat that mistake. The whole function of guilt is to change behavior.

4. Forgive yourself. No purpose is served in continuing to whip yourself over past events you can do nothing else about.

If you follow these steps, you can rid your life of unnecessary guilt. You will find that you are happier and healthier -- and you can save the brown paper bags for lunch!

Prayer: Ask God to help you live the forgiveness He has promised you.

"Guilt is like the red warning light on the dashboard of the car. You can either stop and deal with the trouble, or break out the light."
~annonymous
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Gypsy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:43 am

This is what we studied last Wed. night in church. We also dicussed how, as Christians, guilt and conviction are different. The Holy Spirit works within us and pricks our hearts when we've sinned against God, prompting us to repent and change. If we've truly repented and have made every effort to change our hearts so the sin will not be repeated, yet we still feel the weight of our deed, then this is guilt. It's one thing to have reminders of your past sin and feel remorse (especially if they have lingering or long term consiquences) and it's quite another to punish yourself by refusing forgiveness.

Rev. Doc, what would you say to someone who has asked God for forgiveness for a sin, yet has convinced themselves that it's noble for them to hate themselves for the sin as sort of penance? I can understand where self forgiveness (especially if a lesson is learned and a change of heart followed) is important, but as Christians, is this required of us Biblically? Is it always a case of self destruction, and will it eventually end up hindering our spiritual growth? I ask because sometimes I've got the impression that even a man of God like Paul struggled with self forgiveness.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby wiggins » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:06 pm

I've got a question: Does God's Patience have Its limits?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:18 pm

Gypsy wrote: Rev. Doc, what would you say to someone who has asked God for forgiveness for a sin, yet has convinced themselves that it's noble for them to hate themselves for the sin as sort of penance? I can understand where self forgiveness (especially if a lesson is learned and a change of heart followed) is important, but as Christians, is this required of us Biblically? Is it always a case of self destruction, and will it eventually end up hindering our spiritual growth?

Nowhere in Scripture do I find a theological teaching that would direct an individual to allow hate to fill their heart towards self in restitution for one's sinfulness. In fact I find the exact opposite to be true. In the well known parable of the Good Samaritan we see this interaction between Jesus and an expert in the law regarding relationships:

"On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. 'Teacher,' he asked, 'what must I do to inherit eternal life?' 'What is written in the Law?' he (Jesus) replied. 'How do you read it?' He (the expert) answered: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind']I ask because sometimes I've got the impression that even a man of God like Paul struggled with self forgiveness.[/QUOTE]

The Apostle Paul related this to the church in Rome (a church that no doubt struggled with a sinful society infiltrating their lives):

"So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"
Romans 7:21-24

That is where most of us find ourselves. We live in this vicious cycle of internal spiritual warfare and struggle in our lives. Had Paul ended at verse 24 we would be destined to a lifetime of dealing with this sinful battle dealing with the guilt that would be the product of it. But Paul had a way to deal with the guilt that we need to apply. He goes on to answer the question he just posed:

"Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
Romans 7:24b-25a"

In other words, "Who is going to rescue me from this vicious cycle of sinfulness and the guilt that is the byproduct of it? Jesus Christ our Lord!" But Paul doesn't stop there. He goes on:

"So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave too the law of sin."
Romans 7:25b

Paul is sharing with the believer the fact that the battle is not over and will in fact continue. To live in guilt and hate towards oneself is to live a life of defeat. We, as Paul does here, must face the ongoing conflict with the certainty of victory instead of the inevitability of defeat. This warfare will feature a mind that serves the law of God as it battles the flesh that serves the law of sin. However, without the intervention of the living Christ through His Spirit, it would be "no contest." But, Paul showed us that we must concentrate on our life in the Spirit (Read Chapter 8).

I like what the apostle would say to the church in Philippi:

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:13-14

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. That life philosophy definitely falls in line with what he has learned about his battle with sin and overcoming guilt in his life.

wiggins wrote:I've got a question: Does God's Patience have It's limits?

This question actually goes along with what I have just shared. Paul wrote to Timothy:

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life."
I Timothy 1:15-16

Paul saw himself as the worst of sinners, yet it was because of Christ's unlimited patience that he and all of mankind had and continues to have hope.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings