Anyone seen Haibane Renmei (Charcoal Feather Federation)?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anyone seen Haibane Renmei (Charcoal Feather Federation)?

Postby nekomi » Sat May 31, 2003 8:40 am

Hi everyone, just joined this board... I have a question for all of you. ^__^ Anyone out there into fansubs? I watched Haibane Renmei a few months ago and couldn't help but notice some very interesting Christian themes and references... even beyond the obvious angel motif. Anybody agree? Maybe I'm just looking too hard... ^~;;
nekomi

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat May 31, 2003 10:28 am

Hmm, I've never done the fansub thing before, but I was thinking of trying it sometime...so no, I haven't seen this series .__. But hey, sounds interesting.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby inkhana » Sat May 31, 2003 10:43 am

Hi Nekomi!

First of all, welcome! :D

I've not seen Haibane Renmei (my anime-watching is actually dreadfully behind, as usual). I do have a question, though; where do you (or anyone else, for that matter) get your fansubs, generally speaking? It sounds like Haibane Renmei would be really neat.

Ink

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Fansubs

Postby nekomi » Sat May 31, 2003 2:59 pm

Hmm...where do I get my fansubs? ^^; Lesse... I get most of them sent in by friends, but some can just be found by searching around the 'Net... a friend of mine got the Haibane subs by using eDonkey 2000 (a file-sharing app). You can see the general idea and some pictures from the show by visiting John's Haibane Renmei Shrine .

It's an extremely beautiful, slow-paced and touching show... it was made by Yo****aka Abe, who also worked on Niea_7 and Serial Experiments Lain, which is also quite popular. However, I should note here that Haibane doesn't have the same mature content and despondent kinds of themes that Lain did... ^^; If you like, I can upload the first episode of Haibane temporarily to my site for anyone to grab. ^_^ Just let me know. ^_^ There's no word on licesnsing it in the U.S. yet, so I have no copyright qualms. ^_^

Thanks for the warm welcome! Talk to you later ~ ^_^
nekomi

Postby Straylight » Sat May 31, 2003 3:02 pm

.......was made by Yo****aka Abe.......

Obviously the swear filter is live and kicking ^_^;;;;
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Wow ^^

Postby nekomi » Sat May 31, 2003 3:03 pm

Oh dear... looks like this forum is accidentally editing Japanese names with the equivalents of English cuss words in them.. ^^ Hopefully someone can fix that.. ^^
nekomi

Postby Straylight » Sat May 31, 2003 3:06 pm

I'm off to sort it out now.
[align=center]
Straylight

Postby nekomi » Sat May 31, 2003 3:07 pm

Yay! Many thanks ^___^
nekomi

Postby Straylight » Sat May 31, 2003 3:08 pm

It should be fixed now.. let's test this out.

Ashitaka

edit: yep!
[align=center]
Straylight

Woohoo!

Postby nekomi » Sat May 31, 2003 3:10 pm

Woohoo! Thank goodness... glad you were able to get that all fixed up. ^__^
nekomi

Postby inkhana » Sat May 31, 2003 3:19 pm

That would be cool...I'd like to see it. How big is the file? (56k user here--*sigh*) Anyhow...thanks for offering to share! Vrrrrrrry interested.

Later,
Ink

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby nekomi » Sat May 31, 2003 3:30 pm

Oooh... 56k modem? The file's really huge... 84 MB ^^; My recommendation would definitely be to download it overnight. ^^ Or, you may be able to find a site somewhere that has it split up into sections for easier download... this site is excellent for finding fansub dl sites: {snipped by djnoz}

Let me know if you'd still like me to upload it. ^_^ I have all 13 episodes, and it's a great relaxing watch. ^__^ And like I said, I really have a feeling that it has some Christian themes... interestingly, this show is the first that Abe-san has fully directed, and he claims that it grew out of an important personal experience. Given the difference in tone between the desperate and hopeless Lain and the optimistic, searching Haibane, I almost wonder if he was saved inbetween... ^___^

Which brings up another point. I'm looking for someone fluent in Japanese who may be able to help me here. I'd like to spread the Gospel with Abe-san, and I have the English email started (I obtained his email address), but it's taking me too long to translate it with my meager Japanese skills. ^^ Anybody like to help me out? ^_^
nekomi

Postby inkhana » Sat May 31, 2003 3:40 pm

Ugh...84 megs...man...I would have to dl it overnight...I'll bet someone else wouldn't have any trouble downloading it, though and would like to have it. (I may try it with my download manager)

Anyhow, I have the noated site bookmarked, but I never really spent that much time browsing on it. I ought to go back and have a look around.

I wish I knew Japanese...it would be really handy to know sometimes...:D

Later,
Ink

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby BrianC » Sat May 31, 2003 4:07 pm

I recommend waiting for Habine Renmei to come to DVD since it is already lincensed by Pioneer. Pioneer is usually very good with DVD releases.
"Your sense of fashion, Roger, really reeks"-Dorothy, Big O
BrianC

Postby Straylight » Sat May 31, 2003 6:05 pm

I hate to spoil the fun everyone, but fansubs are illegal. Please don't link to any fansub websites from these forums. There's a very good reason for this:

We could get shut down
Now that would be bad. :(

If you want to discuss fansubs, I won't stop you taking it to email. However I must remind you that they are illegal. :shady:
[align=center]
Straylight

Seriously? ^^;

Postby nekomi » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:25 am

Wow. ^^ I thought that they were only illegal if the anime was licensed for the US already... wowee. ^^ Thanks for the info, that changes things... sorry for posting this thread! ^^;;;;;

And thanks for the update on the licensing status of Haibane, BrianC! I didn't think they actually had plans to release it on DVD yet. ^^ Again, thank you for the information. ^__^

Wellie, sorry again for this post... what a way to enter into the forums, huh? ^^;
nekomi

Postby Straylight » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:37 am

Don't worry at all, it's just a friendly warning :)
[align=center]
Straylight

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews