Studio Ghibli

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Studio Ghibli

Postby H-Train » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Any Studio Ghibli fans out there? Would be happy to discuss with anyone who is also a fan if such a person exists on this forum.
"Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected." - Jonathan Edwards
H-Train

Re: Studio Ghibli

Postby skreyola » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:34 pm

I think there are a lot of Ghibli fans here, myself among them. I haven't seen any of their films recently, though.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm watching all of the Ghibli films with my Grandma and Mom. That means that I'm watching the Disney dubs, but they're all still great. I'll be rewatching them with the original audio by myself at some point. My Grandma and Mom really like My Neighbor Totoro.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Seen, "When Marnie was There" ?
Rusty Claymore

Postby H-Train » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Mullet Death wrote:I'm watching all of the Ghibli films with my Grandma and Mom. That means that I'm watching the Disney dubs, but they're all still great. I'll be rewatching them with the original audio by myself at some point. My Grandma and Mom really like My Neighbor Totoro.

You might consider waiting on the sub for Princess Mononoke if you haven't watched the dub yet, since it seems to me that a lot of the substance of the original got lost in the American voice actors not capturing the innocence of the main characters' voices well enough (the title character in particular).

Rusty Claymore wrote:Seen, "When Marnie was There" ?

I would like to! I've seen a bunch of the old ones since I have a DVD box set of all of those, but it does not contain WMWT.

Have you seen any of the older ones? Was it anywhere near as good as some of those in your opinion?
Last edited by mechana2015 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Approval and cleanup double post.
"Grace is but glory begun, and glory is but grace perfected." - Jonathan Edwards
H-Train

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Ghibli movies are awesome. Unfortunately, I haven't exactly been keeping up - the last one I saw was Arriety, I think. My favorite is Howl's Moving Castle. I think what I love most about Studio Ghibli is just how detailed their art is.

And...I may be the only one who thinks this, but I actually prefer the dubs for most of the Ghibli movies I've seen in both languages <_< *hides*
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Sheenar » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 am

I have loved the Ghibli films I have seen. I haven't seen all of them, though --there are several I haven't been able to yet.

I'm don't have a preference re: sub vs. dub --except that I love the dub of Whispers of the Heart and The Cat Returns because Baron is voiced by Cary Elwes. <3
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:54 pm

H-train wrote:Was it anywhere near as good as some of those in your opinion?

Hmmm, let's break it down like this:
The artwork was very ghibli. The houses and localities are packed with detail and instill a sense of longing to visit such places.
The story wasn't particularly fantastical, which seems less ghibli-ish. I liked this difference though. I have a bit of a clouded perspective on the story because of a book I read in my childhood called, "Gone Away Lake," which gave WMWT a nostalgic, close feel to me because the scenery was similar.
To quote a cucumber,
Larry wrote:I laughed, I cried... It moved me, Bob.

It was near as good as the older ones, (Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Howl's) but maybe in a different kind of good?
Rusty Claymore

Postby TheCynicalIdealist » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:41 pm

About to binge on some Miyazaki goodness. Going to be watching Kiki and Porco for the first times. So is Ghibli shutting down? I remember reading somewhere that When Marnie was There was gonna be their last? :hits_self
TheCynicalIdealist

Postby SierraLea » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

I love a lot of the Ghibli films, like "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Princess Mononoke". "Kiki's Delivery Service" was one of the first anime-like things I showed my littlest sisters and they loved it!
SierraLea

Postby Goro » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:57 am

I absolutely LOVE Studio Ghibli :thumb:
Goro

Postby Rose Faerie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 pm

I adore Studio Ghibli. It's the only anime that my whole family watches.

When I was in Mexico for a week, the whole collection was available and I was able to see Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, and Princess Mononoke. Now I'm obsessed with Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. I could watch an entire spin-off series based on Spirited Away.

I also saw trailers for Ronja the Robber's Daughter and I had no idea it was Studio Ghibli. I need to check it out now.
Rose Faerie

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews