Hulu removing majority of anime titles

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Hulu removing majority of anime titles

Postby Sundown » Tue May 31, 2016 1:26 pm

While I personally don't use Hulu, I felt that the change might be worth mentioning for those that do. To my knowledge, this hasn't been mentioned on CAA yet.

All of the information concerning it can be found in the following link.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-05-27/.102530
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Re: Hulu removing majority of anime titles

Postby skreyola » Tue May 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Boo.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mouse2010 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:34 am

Boo indeed! Kind of sad to hear that Hulu is going mainstream. I wonder if their Kdrama collection is also going to be affected by this kind of thinking?
Mouse2010

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:09 pm

It's just as well for me, I've stopped using Hulu for anything. It's a pain to use it on Linux because of DRM-- you have to use Firefox with Flash enabled-- which is a huge security risk, if you didn't know. It displays even more ads than it used to unless you pay more money (and it was always ridiculous that any paying subscribers watched ads in the first place). They changed the interface so it was more difficult to watch the shows you flagged as "favorites" so you could actually watch them later without adding them to the queue, and like Youtube, its suggestions are terrible, especially because it over-emphasizes shows you've recently seen. It always seemed to add currently airing shows later than everyone else. I think it's just gotten progressively worse and wasn't that great to begin with. It is a bit of a shame though because it did have some shows Crunchyroll often didn't, and between the two one could have quite a potential library of anime to watch.

I use streaming services a lot less in general though. Actually owning the show is where it's at.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Mouse2010 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:38 am

Mullet Death wrote:I use streaming services a lot less in general though. Actually owning the show is where it's at.

This how I started out thinking when I first got into anime. When I saw an interesting title on sale, I'd snap it up. I'd watch RightStuf for good deals, for example. And when BandaiUSA went out of business, I grabbed a bunch of Bandai titles, not realizing that Funimation would pick up some of the best of them. The result is that I have a collection of anime on DVD that I have never had time to watch and I don't know when I will get around to watching them, if ever.

And weirdly enough I've gotten more interested in watching simulcasts than older, classic shows. Part of the appeal of simulcasts is that other people are also watching it at the same time I am, so if I have a question about interpretation or there's a plot point that doesn't make sense, there are places I can go online and ask for other people's opinions. That doesn't work as well if you are watching something from the late '90s or early 2000s, you know?
Mouse2010

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews