How far is too far?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

How far is too far?

Postby Animeniac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Everyone on here likes anime. But what's your limit?

Anime body pillows?
Cosplay?
24/7 Anime binges?
Waifu/Husbandu?

Mine is Waifu. I have multiple Waifus....LOL

But do you consider any of this healthy or normal?

I mean I LOVE anime. But not enough to cosplay and if I got a bodypillow my parents will think I'm a pervo....

I would like to hear what you all think.
Phillippians 4:8 KJV

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain anything without sacrificing something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own...you will gain an irreplaceable fullmetal heart -Hiromu Arakawa

I'm going to fight my hardest....I don't want anyone else to die! -Kirito

"Never break the circle....the circle is what binds us together as one as brothers and sisters...you are my bride...you are beautiful"-Elyon (God) on The Circle series By Ted Dekker

Animeniac

Re: How far is too far?

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:00 pm

My limit is ridiculously long forum signatures.
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:01 pm

If you have a dakimakura then you are a perv.
Xeno

Postby Animeniac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Ante Bellum wrote:My limit is ridiculously long forum signatures.

Hey shut up!! :brow:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain anything without sacrificing something else in return, but once you have overcome it and made it your own...you will gain an irreplaceable fullmetal heart -Hiromu Arakawa

"Never break the circle....the circle is what binds us together as one as brothers and sisters...you are my bride...you are beautiful"-Elyon (God) on The Circle series By Ted Dekker

Animeniac

Postby Animeniac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Sorry I'm so annoying on here... BYE!!! :sniffle:

Animeniac

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't think cosplay is any "farther" into a fandom than say, waifus, really. It's just more effort put into what you enjoy (cosplaying takes a LOT of work).
Actually, I'd venture to say that cosplaying is more on the tamer side in terms of obsession with something.

My personal limit is a tad more vague. All I know is that if I feel as if I will die a horrible death and it's the end of the world if x, y, or z anime/manga or character ceases to exist, I have gone beyond my limit and need to rethink my priorities.

EDIT: Unless it's Jojo, then the limit is never too far.
goldenspines

Postby Animeniac » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:36 pm

goldenspines wrote:I don't think cosplay is any "farther" into a fandom than say, waifus, really. It's just more effort put into what you enjoy (cosplaying takes a LOT of work).
Actually, I'd venture to say that cosplaying is more on the tamer side in terms of obsession with something.

My personal limit is a tad more vague. All I know is that if I feel as if I will die a horrible death and it's the end of the world if x, y, or z anime/manga or character ceases to exist, I have gone beyond my limit and need to rethink my priorities.

EDIT: Unless it's Jojo, then the limit is never too far.

I agree about the characters dying (and I meant no offense to anyone if you cosplay that's cool. I like seeing pics of cosplay but won't do it)

Animeniac

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:24 am

Cosplay is awesome when done well, and can be really attractive when done really well. More power to the people doing that sort of thing. Personally, I wish I had the abs to pull off a good looking anime dude. If I did, I think I'd cosplay in a heart beat.

Anime binging sounds like my normal everyday life, as it's my primary hobby and interest; even video games have long since taken a back seat and are the secondary hobby. In fact, I'm not even sure what would constitute "binging" at this point; I frequently watch 12-episode or 26-episode seasons or series in a day or couple days even when I don't really have the time. That's not even mentioning how much anime I physically own. I'm not sure what "normal" would be. I don't even watch "TV" and haven't for years now.

Dakimakura and the concept of "waifu" are a different story. Honestly, they make me legitimately angry coming from members of either sex. It's great and all to love anime characters; who doesn't have favorites? But something about that pervert culture makes me want to continually, violently slap everyone involved, and that's putting it nicely. I don't mean to be overly negative, but because of stuff like that and for other reasons I've found that I have a tendency to dislike most other anime fans that I've ever encountered, at least the ones who bother to post stuff online (the wonderful people of CAA and perhaps Beneath the Tangles and my best friend in real life are the exceptions to this). Crunchyroll, MAL, AnimeNetwork forums, comments sections anywhere, the fandoms surrounding most visual novels, etc-- they're all a vast wasteland of idiocy. The people who own lolicon or shotacon pillows should be monitored by the FBI 24/7. Heck, because of the abundance of dakimakura one even has to be careful searching for anime stuff on Amazon or Ebay, because sellers put that kind of stuff up and don't even hide it behind some kind of age gate.

I also don't understand (and don't want to understand) how this stupid "waifu" and "husbando" thing even came about. It's like the nerd equivalent of "bae": it's instant facepalm material-- the kind of facepalm where it looks like you're trying to rip your own eyes out and are always accompanied by a sigh that indicates your displeasure with the state of humanity. I mean, I don't even get it; the Japanese terms for wife and husband are 妻 or 家内 and 夫 or 主人 respectively, and the term I've heard gross male nerds in Japan use for their 2D obsessions is usually お嫁さん, meaning "bride." I've only heard the term ワイフ used a couple of times. Maybe I just don't know enough about the language or Japanese cultures yet; maybe the Japanese use these two terms a lot (they use a lot of English loan words, after all) but I just can't imagine that being the case. Maybe someone here can explain the joke? Either way the way this stuff is used in either Japanese or various outside nerd cultures is idiotic.

So, I guess acting like that would be my "limit," too? Go on a real date with real living people, self-proclaimed "otaku" of the world. >_>

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Xeno » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:57 am

Waifu and Husbando are ironic terms. Anyone who uses them unironically doesn't get the joke and should be laughed at.
Xeno

Postby Animeniac » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 am

I only mean it as an anime character that looks cute. If I ever date of course I'd choose the real girl...I don't act like the "waifu" really exists. But I understand what you mean exactly.

Animeniac

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm

WARNING: The following post is tl;dr.

Depends on the subject matter. Generally, if I'm seeking something (anime, manga, specific characters, body pillows, etc) to generate some sort of sensual response, then that is too far. But then again, at that point I'm not using any of those items because they have anything to do with otaku co-culture.

Because that didn't make too much sense, I'll itemize.

Body Pillows: There are saints out there who can with clear conscience both own and use an anime body pillow depicting a non-morality threatening version of their favorite character. I am not one of them. I do not want to sleep next to a life-sized picture of a guy. I cannot imagine any scenario in which an adult man owning a life-sized picture of a high school (or any) girl is healthy. This all assumed a moral approach to body pillows. I do not need to say anything on the (from what I have seen) more common use.

Cosplay: Nothing wrong with it. If you throw stones at Cosplay, you gotta treat historical rein-actors(?) the same. Unless you're an exhibitionist. Cosplaying as avant-garde characters is done only to provoke a reaction. Once again, the subject matter has become of little importance, and could be just as easily replaced with a different medium's avant-garde charactaristic. (I've cosplayed as Kodota aka Dotachin from Durarara. I'd do it a lot more if costumes weren't so expensive.)

24/7 Anime: I don't watch anything else besides anime. That probably disqualifies me from commenting about this one.

Maifus: Having someone you've never talked with vocally fantasize about having a relationship with you is really upsetting. (At least that's what my friend says. I never had that experience.) Waifu-ism never takes the subjects feelings into account, and asserts ownership over the non-consenting subject. Worst case, they claim they have the right because they understand that character better than anyone. It's like a tyra-

... ok fine, I just find it exceptionally annoying. (And as someone who pretends they belong on the "creator" side of the camp, it makes me kinda livid. I am the one who understands my characters the best.)

To clarify (and by clarify, I mean make even more confusing) we'll end with a lesson on definitions. A pervert is someone who perverts something, usually for a sensual result. To pervert is to take something good and to change it's use into something bad. Like taking hamburger and making meatloaf.

Someone watching Azumanga Daioh can do so and not be a pervert. Someone watching Sesame Street can do so and be a pervert.

How far is too far? (about as far as I have wandered off-topic?) It isn't a question of distance. It's a question of deviation.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Animeniac » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:03 pm

for me it has to do with Morals

Animeniac

Postby Animeniac » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:42 pm

I get what your saying but I believe watching it fuels the sexual thought process....Like on FMA When Winry Rockbell almost took off her shirt and you see her boobs a little....That gave me dirty thoughts :red: so I think some anime is perverted. Christian or not if you watch it you are committing straight up sin! Because you know from the bottom of your heart if you know him you are basically saying "I'm a christian I can watch this it wont affect me"......WRONG (not pointing fingers or naming names) anime is amoral It's not the animation it's the animator

Cosplay: I have nothing wrong with cosplay I think it's cool. I mean I'll never do it (too poor LOL) but I like seeing people's pics of it (as long as it's modest)

Waifus: I do not take it seriously WHATSOEVER. I only say it as "She's cute she's my waifu lol" not fantasizing a intimate relationship with her....that is just weird. So all my waifus are merely a joke.

Bodypillows: I see how you do that EX Image
I still wouldn't do it because I'll probably end up pretending to "do it" W/her...

Animeniac

Postby Xeno » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Animeniac wrote:WRONG (not pointing fingers or naming names) anime is amoral It's not the animation it's the animator

Finally someone agrees with me that anime is the worst thing.

I get what your saying but I believe watching it fuels the sexual thought process....Like on FMA When Winry Rockbell almost took off her shirt and you see her boobs a little....That gave me dirty thoughts :red

I still wouldn't do it because I'll probably end up pretending to "do it" W/her...

lol what?
Xeno

Postby Animeniac » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:12 am

Amoral means it's not good or bad...I love anime anime is not the worst thing. It's good and bad it depends

Animeniac

Postby Mullet Death » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 am

Xeno was being sarcastic. Amoral does not mean something is neither good nor bad; to be amoral is to not care whether something is moral or immoral, a state which is itself immoral. Perhaps you meant nonmoral? But in that case I can't say I totally agree with you, as by Christian and Natural Law standards there are some things in certain anime which are objectively immoral, such as explicit fan service anime like Freezing.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Animeniac » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 am

Well yeah that's what I meant it's about what goes on in the anime

Animeniac

Postby shooraijin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:02 am

Animeniac, can you include some quote or context in your replies? It was a little hard to parse some of your posts since I wasn't sure exactly to whom you were replying.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Animeniac » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am

shooraijin wrote:Animeniac, can you include some quote or context in your replies? It was a little hard to parse some of your posts since I wasn't sure exactly to whom you were replying.

Animeniac wrote:Well yeah that's what I meant it's about what goes on in the anime

Mullet Death wrote:Xeno was being sarcastic. Amoral does not mean something is neither good nor bad; to be amoral is to not care whether something is moral or immoral, a state which is itself immoral. Perhaps you meant nonmoral? But in that case I can't say I totally agree with you, as by Christian and Natural Law standards there are some things in certain anime which are objectively immoral, such as explicit fan service anime like Freezing.

Basically I meant it I agree with Mullet Death. Like I watch animes that don't have sexual content. Like Freezing I started watching freezing then I stop as soon as I saw 'fan service' I used to watch hentai, but not anymore because I'm growing stronger in God. I don't even watch animes that have innuendo.

Animeniac

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:27 am

Rusty Claymore wrote:Body Pillows: There are saints out there who can with clear conscience both own and use an anime body pillow depicting a non-morality threatening version of their favorite character. I am not one of them. I do not want to sleep next to a life-sized picture of a guy. I cannot imagine any scenario in which an adult man owning a life-sized picture of a high school (or any) girl is healthy. This all assumed a moral approach to body pillows. I do not need to say anything on the (from what I have seen) more common use.

Come now, surely there's room on your heart for a sweet tsundere like the Cyberdwarf?

(That's not me in the picture, lord no.)

Any other body pillow, though? Mega nope.

You know those pictures of apartments where the whole place is stacked head to toe with merchandise of a single character, like they bought one of everything that got made? Those unnerve me, in a Criminal Minds kind of way, like they have bodies of women (because it's invariably a girl) who look like that character in the closet or something.

But worse still is that anime companies now depend on that kind of person. They wouldn't do all those freaky kinds of merchandise if they knew someone wouldn't buy it, after all. And there are enough of them that the companies make money off of selling to that certain kind of obsessive fan, who would (unironically) speak of their waifu. So now they make better and better waifus, characters designed for people like that to attach to and to buy all their playsets and toys. And that is why anime is in the state that it's in.

Also, figurines. Gunpla or model kits are fine, they're a horse of a different color - what I'm talking about are the less...savory sort. When you start considering buying a plastic statuette of a half naked 12 year old, you're pretty far gone.
Davidizer13

Postby LecktheTech » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Davidizer13 wrote:
Rusty Claymore wrote:Body Pillows: There are saints out there who can with clear conscience both own and use an anime body pillow depicting a non-morality threatening version of their favorite character. I am not one of them. I do not want to sleep next to a life-sized picture of a guy. I cannot imagine any scenario in which an adult man owning a life-sized picture of a high school (or any) girl is healthy. This all assumed a moral approach to body pillows. I do not need to say anything on the (from what I have seen) more common use.

You know those pictures of apartments where the whole place is stacked head to toe with merchandise of a single character, like they bought one of everything that got made? Those unnerve me, in a Criminal Minds kind of way, like they have bodies of women (because it's invariably a girl) who look like that character in the closet or something.

That's just creepy...
Davidizer13 wrote:But worse still is that anime companies now depend on that kind of person. They wouldn't do all those freaky kinds of merchandise if they knew someone wouldn't buy it, after all. And there are enough of them that the companies make money off of selling to that certain kind of obsessive fan, who would (unironically) speak of their waifu. So now they make better and better waifus, characters designed for people like that to attach to and to buy all their playsets and toys. And that is why anime is in the state that it's in.

I knew that anime merchandise was a major money maker for the industry, but not quite like that.
Davidizer13 wrote:Also, figurines. Gunpla or model kits are fine, they're a horse of a different color - what I'm talking about are the less...savory sort. When you start considering buying a plastic statuette of a half naked 12 year old, you're pretty far gone.

Definitely far gone.
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Postby Xeno » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Davidizer13 wrote:Image
(That's not me in the picture, lord no.)

If that was you I think I'd honestly be more upset about the cutoff jeans than the Cyberdwarf dakimakura.
Xeno

Postby Animeniac » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Animeniac

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews