Mature Anime without (im)Mature content?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Mature Anime without (im)Mature content?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:59 pm

(PMing so as not to derail the topic.) If anyone else is interested, you can check out my MAL.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kraavdran » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Hey everyone!

Sorry to dredge up this old conversation. But, I think that I have a new insight/vantage-point.

I was explaining to my family the difference between shounen/seinen and shojo/josei the other day. But, I realized that I could only explain the demographic. I didn't really know the distinguishing features between them (particularly, between shounen and seinen... since there are not nearly as many josei anime). So, we watched an explanation video on youtube that highlighted the differences. I must say, it was very enlightening. Of course, it spoke in generalities... but the principles made quite a bit of sense... and explained why I was trying to mention in the OP. The video described shounen as simpler story/characters with a bit stronger (brighter or bolder) force. Seinen, on the other hand, were a bit more complex and tended to be less bold or bright... and more realistic. Basically, they tend to reflect the demographics. Shounen is simpler, but with more energy and more encouraging. Seinen is more complex, but a bit darker (vs energetic) and realistic (vs encouraging). One was not necessarily "more mature" than the other, just different. And, the youtuber said, both are good. And this is very true. I really enjoy those aspects of shounen anime. But, at the same time, I'm a type of person who gets tired of those same aspects without variety. I like to be inspired by bold/energetic characters... but it can become draining/tiring. Similarly, the opposite can be true.

Additionally, I've been watching Space Brothers (thanks to everyone who suggested it!) and have really enjoyed it. I think that it has elements that I was missing in the average anime I was watching. Again, it focuses more on characters instead of story... and certainly introduces everything in a fairly different way than the average shounen anime. A very different experience, after having watched many shounen anime. I also really appreciated the fact that they haven't heavily relied on fan-service/sexuality, heavy violence, or other objectionable content... but instead relied entirely on the characters. I also really appreciated how the characters were in a similar age group as me (especially compared to the classic highschool-age shounen anime). I felt like their struggles were much more real in the "here and now" kind of way. I think that I mentioned that was an issue for me a while back because it was (and is) hard for me to enjoy relating to a series of high school characters (that being said, I still really enjoy watching some of those, like Charlotte... again, it is all about the balance of types for me, I think)

tl:dr - Anyway, all this said, I think that I now understand what I was missing... and that for me personally, I should try to balance the type of anime I watch so that I do not get bored with either genre. And, for where I am, I think that I will look for more anime that have slightly older protagonists (to balance out the high school life anime).

:/ This seems to be a bit longer than I meant for it to be. Just wanted to thank you all for sharing your ideas, recommendations, and such. And give an update on what I observed. So thanks!
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby skreyola » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Good insight. Anyone have any more suggestions?
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:07 am

@Kraavdran Could you post a link to the YouTube video? I'm just curiously about what it had to say; cause sometimes I have difficulty explaining the differences to people.

Never heard of Space Brothers, I might look into it.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Kraavdran » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:00 am

The first video I watched was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj0dlaJ3Uoc It is only 15 minutes long, but the guy isn't the best speaker. However, the information seems solid and he does it briefer.

The second one is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwfTfwC6CI - (you may want to start at time stamp: 14:18) - It is an hour total, but the guy is a much better speaker... although a bit scattered and focus on some things that I wouldn't consider a question of seinen vs shounen.

I hope that you enjoy them!

Overall, I was really surprised how few people (on google or youtube) have looked at the elemental differences between shounen and seinen. Might be a good project for someone who really likes analyzing that sort of thing. With charts!
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum et pereat mundus"
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kraavdran
Kraavdran

Postby Thunderscream872 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks for the links. I listened to a little bit of both of them and they seem pretty informative.

I'll download them and convert them to mp3 so I can listen to them at work sometime :)
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews