Thoughts on Abridging?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Thoughts on Abridging?

Postby SuprahKahn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:58 pm

Many of you I'm sure have heard of and/or seen an Abridged series. (Non-profit, fan-based parodies which are completely redubbed and re-written by youtubers).
Since almost all abridged series use anime as their source material, I thought I'd ask, what do you guys think of Abridging? What do you like or dislike about it?

I dislike how crude and foul the content can be at times,
But I really like seeing amateur voice actors getting a chance to use their skills.
SuprahKahn

Re: Thoughts on Abridging?

Postby LastLfan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 pm

I like how they add references to not only pop culture but meta-stuff about the series and other youtubers. Having mostly seen only yugioh abridged I appreciate the show but less language would be nice. All in all some of the best laughs of my life though.
LastLfan

Postby SuprahKahn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:30 pm

True, very true. Its really cool to see how the abridging community works together and off each other so well. And it's so awesome to see comedic genuises work together. My favorite abridger would have to be Purpleeyeswtf. It's incredible how he's been able to put out so much content as a solo abridger and do almost all those voices by himself.
SuprahKahn

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:41 pm

I agree about the foul part though the only foul one I've seen is A Slap On Titan. Has some f bombs and innuendo and some other words too. The only one I've seen other than that is the yugioh one.
Psycho Molos

Postby SuprahKahn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Yeah, I don't know why, but everyone loves to make Attack on Titan parodies nasty. Except for Abridge on Titan, that one wasn't so bad. 50% off (a parody of Free! Iwatobi swim club) is pretty hilarious and I recommend it if you're interested in checking out other abridged series. It is innapropriate, but it manages to make some of the best jokes I've ever seen on youtube.
SuprahKahn

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm

SuprahKahn wrote:Yeah, I don't know why, but everyone loves to make Attack on Titan parodies nasty. Except for Abridge on Titan, that one wasn't so bad. 50% off (a parody of Free! Iwatobi swim club) is pretty hilarious and I recommend it if you're interested in checking out other abridged series. It is innapropriate, but it manages to make some of the best jokes I've ever seen on youtube.

Yay! I love 50% Off. I try to keep up with that one and it's the first abridged series I'd seen. I've also watched some of the Titan parodies too.
And sometimes I do think that the language can be a bit much in some parodies but in some cases I think it fits that jokes really well depending on the series and the scene. My biggest dislike other than language is if it's not well put together it can get a little annoying that way and my biggest like is that it makes fun of a series, its characters, and its most famous scenes leaving me thinking, 'That is SO true!' lol. Also, does anyone have any good abridged recommendations (meaning, something that's really well made and funny)?
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Generally, I don't really watch them, but I've come across a few that are worth watching. I've watched a few Death Note ones, and they were pretty funny. I remember in one, Ryuk was offering Light the "Eyes of Chuck Norris" instead of the Shinigami eyes. My brother was telling me about this Code Geass one that sounded pretty funny too.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Furen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:59 pm

I usually just stay away, but I'm sure there's good ones out there.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Nate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

rip Dub Piece, killed before its time ;~;

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Vii » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:05 am

50% Off (Free!) and Code MENT (Code Geass) are my favorite abridged series. They're well-edited and hilarious. I don't typically go looking for abridged series though, I forget how I stumbled across those ones.
Vii

Postby SuprahKahn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:30 am

Vii wrote:50% Off (Free!) and Code MENT (Code Geass) are my favorite abridged series. They're well-edited and hilarious. I don't typically go looking for abridged series though, I forget how I stumbled across those ones.

Dude. You and I should be friends.
SuprahKahn

Postby SuprahKahn » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:46 am

PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:
Yay! I love 50% Off. I try to keep up with that one and it's the first abridged series I'd seen. I've also watched some of the Titan parodies too.
And sometimes I do think that the language can be a bit much in some parodies but in some cases I think it fits that jokes really well depending on the series and the scene. My biggest dislike other than language is if it's not well put together it can get a little annoying that way and my biggest like is that it makes fun of a series, its characters, and its most famous scenes leaving me thinking, 'That is SO true!' lol. Also, does anyone have any good abridged recommendations (meaning, something that's really well made and funny)?

Yeah, I know what you mean. Its frustrating when you watch an abridged series and you hope the make fun of a particular scene, AND THEY SKIP IT ENTIRELY.

-The Devil is a Part-Timer Abridged is pretty good,

-Supernatural the Animation Abridged is hilarious; warning, there is a lot of sexual references in episode 5.

-Nullmetal alchemist is well-thought out and really entertaining, (especially since Ed and Al have british accents) XD

-Fairy Tail Abridged by pallettownchampions is very creative with its jokes and is well edited.

-Anything by pupleeyeswtf (None Piece, Soul Whatever, and Code Ment)

-then, of course, there is the overlord of abridged series, namely, Dragonball Z Abridged.
SuprahKahn

Postby EventualDay » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:18 pm

The only abridged series I really watched were the classic YuGiOh one and Death Note by 1KidsEntertainment. It used to be one of my favorite things because I really enjoy the humor, but it bothered me when abridgers didn't bother to finish their series. (Not that this is a totally fair judgment, since YuGiOh has like a million episodes.)

Actually, are there any abridging groups that have even made it entirely through a show?
EventualDay

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:54 am

Yeah, I've accidentally stumbled across a couple, and I've yet to see one I could make myself sit through more than 30 seconds of. It astounds me how vulgar people can get. But eh, it's just me. And like Ren said, I'm sure there are fantastic ones out there. But I'm not going to wade through the garbage to find the gold nuggets.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby GeneD » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:01 am

I used to keep up with YuGiOh TAS back when there were more regular updates and I watched the first few (probably more than a few) videos a ton of times, but haven't bothered with it recently. I'll check out 50% Off sometime though, for the title alone if not for anything else.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:23 am

SuprahKahn wrote:
PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Its frustrating when you watch an abridged series and you hope the make fun of a particular scene, AND THEY SKIP IT ENTIRELY.

-The Devil is a Part-Timer Abridged is pretty good,

-Supernatural the Animation Abridged is hilarious; warning, there is a lot of sexual references in episode 5.

-Nullmetal alchemist is well-thought out and really entertaining, (especially since Ed and Al have british accents) XD

-Fairy Tail Abridged by pallettownchampions is very creative with its jokes and is well edited.

-Anything by pupleeyeswtf (None Piece, Soul Whatever, and Code Ment)

-then, of course, there is the overlord of abridged series, namely, Dragonball Z Abridged.

Thank you. :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby SuprahKahn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 am

PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:
Thank you. :)

No problem, man!
SuprahKahn

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews