Squid Girl!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Squid Girl!

Postby Kilvakar » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:58 pm

So... I just finished watching Squid Girl (Shinryaku! Ika Musume! in Japanese), and it has to be one of my favorite non-action anime series of all time! Anyone else on this site a fan? :sweat:
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Re: Squid Girl!

Postby black & white angel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:01 pm

I recently finished Squid Girl.It was pretty cute :)
Last edited by black & white angel on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make it a policy not to second-guess my instincts. Life's more fun that way. ~Train Heartnet
black & white angel

Postby skreyola » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 pm

I enjoyed it. It was really cute. :)
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Kilvakar » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

I wish they would've explained who the girl at the end of season 1 and 2 was, apparently she *might* be "Octopus Girl?"

Did you watch the English dub? What did you think of the constant squid puns?
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby black & white angel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Yeah,I got slightly annoyed at the puns

Also the lesbian/stalker kinda creeped me out
I make it a policy not to second-guess my instincts. Life's more fun that way. ~Train Heartnet
black & white angel

Postby Kilvakar » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:23 pm

That was the one character I didn't like. At least no one took her seriously. :eyeroll:

I actually didn't mind the puns, but since the 2nd season hasn't been dubbed I watched the subbed version, and I have to admit the "de geso" suffix sounds pretty cute.

Apparently there's a new OVA coming out later this year, I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully they'll make another season since the manga's still ongoing...
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby skreyola » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:13 pm

I didn't like that character, either. But somehow, she was a lot less annoying than Shirai Kuroko from Railgun.

The squiddy puns were not bad, because they melted into the background, and nobody in the cast called attention to them. At least, they weren't bad in the subbed version.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby black & white angel » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:44 pm

The puns kind of annoyed me at first, but after a couple episodes I barely noticed them =)
black & white angel

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Yeeees! Love for Squid Girl! Ika Musume is the best! I so want the Blu-ray for it! Every episode made me laugh, squee, and smile with a big genuine grin. I really loved the episodes where Eiko dreamed about Ika-chan being her little pet, and the one where they were all trying to speak English. Oh boy hahaha XD

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:38 pm

The little-Ika episodes are probably my favorites. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Psycho Molos » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Just started it. Quite sweet
Psycho Molos

Postby impact777 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:00 am

At first I really liked it, but the lesbian character was too annoying. I watched Vol. 1 and 1 or 2 episodes of Vol. 2 and kicked it then.
impact777

Postby Kilvakar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Yay! Mullet likes Fairy Tail and Squid Girl too! :jump: I thought the mini-Ika Musume episodes were really cute as well, but mostly I loved the hilarious interactions with the different characters. By the way, Eiko, Sanae, and Goro all had mini-Ika dreams...

Ditto on the one where everyone was speaking English, Eiko accidentally calling Cindy a bimbo and saying they had an alligator, lol! For some reason, the alligator part was funny to me because I work with alligators every day. :lol:

Besides Squid Girl herself, Eiko is probably my favorite character. While they argue a lot, Eiko's always there for her when she needs it, just like family should be. Reminds me a lot of my brothers and sisters.
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby Kilvakar » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:17 pm

What do you think will happen in the series? Will Ika Musume finally give up on her invasion plans and accept the Aizawas as her family?
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure? :o I should give the manga a read some time. Though, honsetly, it's probably the sort of story that will never have any kind of "
ending." My guess is giving it up though; Ika-chan's a sweetheart despite her grandiose delusions of conquest and pride that make her think otherwise.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 pm

I didn't get the impression that it was a story arc/progression type of show. Like most sitcoms, things don' change much, or if they do, don't change very quickly.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Kilvakar » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Well, you're probably right, it doesn't really have much of a story progression. But hey, the manga's gotta end sometime, right? I hope it doesn't end soon, and I REALLY hope they end up making another season of anime (fingers crossed), but I think I'd like to see Ika-chan profess her love for her family at some point, :)

That said, who is your favorite character? (besides Ika Musume, of course!)
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby skreyola » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:29 pm

It's been so long since I watched, I've forgotten the names, but the calm martial-arts master with the dark hair (the carrot top's sister?)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Kilvakar » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Ah yes, Chizuru! She's hilarious, especially since there's no explanation of why she has super-powers. Several other characters theorize that she's not human herself, which causes her great distress, and she's also very, VERY concerned about her weight, lol!
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby AnaniAnime » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Wait, there's a second season?! And all this time I never knew! I loved that show and now I can watch the 2nd season subbed! Yay!
I watched it on Netflix so it only had the one season.
Hello!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.pinterest.com/ariannawesomez/
AnaniAnime

Postby skreyola » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Yes, Chizuru! :)
@Anani: I watched it on Hulu, so I faced the same problem. Then I found out Crunchyroll had both seasons. Enjoy!
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Kilvakar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Yeah, the same thing happened to me, I watched the first season on Netflix and was like "Man, that was too short, I need more Squid Girl!" Then I watched the second season on Crunchyroll, and I'm still like "That was too short, I need more Squid Girl!" lol!

I actually like Cindy and the Three Stooges, their inventions are hilarious and Cindy's continuous attempts to prove that Ika's an alien (or to just convince her she's an alien) are great.
Image Image

Kilvakar

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews