Sailor Moon reboot coming!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Sailor Moon reboot coming!

Postby radical edward » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:26 am

Your favorite sailor senshi are coming back in a new Sailor Moon anime! Hm, maybe the old one will finally come to DVD as well!
Anyway, read this article for more info. :raded:
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Re: Sailor Moon reboot coming!

Postby Mullet Death » Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm

I would be more excited about this if the old one did indeed come to DVD or BD, so I could actually watch it. I've never seen it. :(

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Uh, but the old series did come out on DVD. Pretty sure I still have a couple DVDs of Black Moon arc/Sailor Moon R sitting around somewhere. I bought them from a Best Buy when I was like, 14.
DaughterOfZion

Postby Nate » Sun May 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Maybe he meant Stars, which has never been released in the US and never will, because yeah ADV released the first two seasons of the show on DVD, and Pioneer did S/SuperS.

Apparently the reboot is going to be 26 episodes long airing every other week, and only on Nico, which is weird but whatever works I guess? It's a shame because it seems like it'll just be retreading the Dark Kingdom again and while I'm not saying that's bad or anything it'd be nice to get some new post-Beryl stuff for once.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mullet Death » Sun May 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Perhaps we should clarify our meaning in this context. :-/ Sailor Moon is indeed already on DVD, but check Amazon for the outragreous pricing and you'll see that it may as well not be availale at all, because like most popular out-of-print anime, owning it now would set you back several hundred dollars. At least, that's what the situation was the last time I looked into it. It needs to be rereleased at a reasonable price for a new generation of fans. This exact same thing happened with Digimon Frontier, the fourth season of Digimon. Before Cinedign rereleased it recently, collections of the series were running on Amazon for something past a grand!

EDIT: Okay, 225 bucks is definitely not as bad as I was expecting considering the amount of episodes, so I guess I'll retract my statement a little.
Last edited by Mullet Death on Sun May 04, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Nate » Sun May 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Both DVD sets were already either 150 or 200 bucks when they were first released.

I'm willing to bet if they were rereleased now they wouldn't be cheaper than that either because it may surprise you to learn that Sailor Moon is not a huge profitable series in the US any longer and therefore would not sell very much, necessitating a high price point to make any sort of profit.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun May 04, 2014 10:43 pm

If you think anime is cheap, I have some bad news for you.
Ante Bellum

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sun May 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Nate wrote:Both DVD sets were already either 150 or 200 bucks when they were first released.

I'm willing to bet if they were rereleased now they wouldn't be cheaper than that either because it may surprise you to learn that Sailor Moon is not a huge profitable series in the US any longer and therefore would not sell very much, necessitating a high price point to make any sort of profit.

Also, if you're talking a dubbed American re-release, who ever releases it would likely have to redub the first two seasons. While ADV released the DVDs it was still dubbed by DiC, who cut the whole series and made changes, like making Zoisite a woman. I know you're talking about this hypothetical "new generation" but really, I can't see them marketing to this hypothetical group, they'd be pandering to us old fans and I can't see the "original DiC dub" being a big selling point. They'd be advertising it as "new and uncut" and in it's "original form" with Usagi, Ami, Rei. Makoto and Minako rather than Serena, Amy, Raye, Lita and Mina.
DaughterOfZion

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:31 pm

I've been hoping for another revival to come stateside, especially with a faithful adaption to the manga. I watched all 200 episodes back in my high school days so I'd love it.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Nate » Sun May 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Well shut my mouth.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... on-crystal

Viz is getting the license for the new upcoming reboot AND the original series, complete with a brand new unedited dub.

Nate

Postby nln_rose » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 pm

So my only experience with with magical girl anime is madoka magica. i've always heard that sailor moon was a really girly anime that no self respecting guy would like. is this true with the new series or is it something that tries to cater to all audiences.
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 pm

No self-respecting PERSON would watch anime, period.
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:25 pm

As a male with little to no self-respect, I can say, without shame, that Sailor Moon is a good series and you should probably watch it if you like Japanese cartoons.
Xeno

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:45 am

Sailor Moon is a fun watch and the new anime is, I would say, less "girly" than the original anime. The original anime had a lot of wanting to date boys, and doing girly things, and there isn't a whole lot in Crystal due to the fact that there isn't going to be any filler due to sticking closer to the manga.

It's "girly" in the sense that the main characters are all girls, and the most recent episode has Usagi wanting to go to a costume ball and dance with a handsome guy so I guess that's kind of girly but eh.

Nate

Postby ashfire » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:09 am

While at Otakon I attended the Sailor Moon discussion. They showed some of the reworked series using the original Japanese opening and ending and all of the episodes will be released with new voice actors who were there for the discussion. They will dub all of the series including Stars and the movies. I understand nothing will be cut. As to the new 2014 series since its still in Japan and on the internet. They said they will wait to see when licensing is done.
The original voice actors were at the con for autographs.
ashfire

Postby nln_rose » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:50 am

So a friend of mine is interested in watching sailor moon. Would you recommend crystal or the original?
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby Nate » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:04 pm

The original for two reasons: one, the animation quality is a lot more consistent. Two, the original is actually finished, whereas Crystal is only 7 episodes right now coming out every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month (I would say every two weeks, but in the event that there are five Saturdays in a month, there is not a third episode that month).

The original is also getting a new dub, whereas Crystal has no dub yet (if your friend prefers dubs to subs, hey there are a few of those people). And if you're on the sub side, the subs for Crystal have been very poor quality too. They will probably be fixed for the Blu-Ray releases but for just internet watching, the current official subs are horrible.

Nate

Postby nln_rose » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:18 pm

ok thanks!!
nln_rose

Postby GeneD » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm 4 episodes away from the end of the original Sailor Moon, which I'm watching for the first time on Hulu, and I've been watching Crystal as it comes out and personally I've been enjoying the original series more, "dated" animation and fillers and all. I'm watching both subbed.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews