Oh my gosh! Best anime ever!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Oh my gosh! Best anime ever!

Postby marro1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:08 pm

I just finsihed watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and it beat Soul Eater as my favorite anime. I probably cried like 5 times during the last couple episodes. Just the fact that I have to leave that wonderful world now makes me sad. It was a-maz-ing. I decided I am going to cosplay as Roy Mustang for my local con. I loved the show so much. it's my second favorite show of all time. Only beaten by Doctor Who. Now I'm gonna buy a million collectibles.
Now I see. You’re Jealous. You’re jealous of humans aren’t you? According to you, humans are supposed to be a lot weaker than homunculi. And yet, even if they get discouraged after being beaten, and even if they get close to falling down after losing their paths, they continue to get up and fight. Everyone around them helps them get back up. And you’re envious of that.
Edward

I'm a worthless piece of garbage that can't even write a straight looking K!
Death the Kid.

marro1

Re: Oh my gosh! Best anime ever!

Postby SierraLea » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 pm

You don't have to leave that world! There's a whole different world of fanfictions! And what Con are you talking about? I'm going as Ed to one close to me. Maybe if it's the same one, we can meet up.
SierraLea

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:23 pm

:rant: I know I might receive some flak from some of you for saying so, but I actually didn't like either Fullmetal Alchemist series that much at all, largely for reasons I'm not supposed to talk about in this forum like "theological" and "negative" themes. It also didn't really live up to the incredibly high expectations I had for it given what people had said about the franchise before I actually purchased and watched it. I know a lot of people here and a huge population of anime fandom love it to death, but I don't. Does that make me a hipster anime fan?

That being said, a few notes:
-Brotherhood WAS better than the original series by a wide margin, though I didn't end up liking it either for plenty of similar reasons. Much of the first show, particularly the second half of it, dragged on and on and even though I hadn't read the manga even a casual anime fan could watch and tell just how very filler-y and disappointing the ending was That goes for the movie as well, and the OVAs for both series are a joke.

- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: By far the best and most likable character is killed off. That made me genuinely angry, like adding insult to injury at having paid so much money for a show I didn't care for.

-I genuinely like Al for the most part.

-Panda's FMA gifs are always adorable.
Last edited by Mullet Death on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby marro1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Sierra since I live in such a large city i don't think it's a problem to say it. It will be in Spokane, Washington. Spokane Comicon.
Now I see. You’re Jealous. You’re jealous of humans aren’t you? According to you, humans are supposed to be a lot weaker than homunculi. And yet, even if they get discouraged after being beaten, and even if they get close to falling down after losing their paths, they continue to get up and fight. Everyone around them helps them get back up. And you’re envious of that.
Edward

Death the Kid.

marro1

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Mullet Death wrote:-Panda's FMA gifs are always adorable.

Not sure If I would call the current one "adorable" but okay XD

FMA:B did drag during the briggs arc, so I understand a little of what you mean. Also, when the "Day of reckoning" finally rolls around everybody in the show just kinda goes
(yeah, couldn't find a way to explain that in words, sorry)

That being said, I adore what I've seen and read of FMA in general <3 and yes, it is the best show ever~

Good luck on your cosplays, folks '3'
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:09 pm

I definitely agree - this is by far the best anime I've ever seen. Of course, the manga is my favorite version of the story, but there are still some very good things both animes have contributed. I'm probably a bit biased towards FMA because it was the first series I really got into and watched the entirety of, but no matter how many great shows I've seen since then...nothing can ever stand up to this. This story has changed my life more than any other.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby goldenspines » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Mullet Death wrote::rant: I know I might receive some flak from some of you for saying so, but I actually didn't like either Fullmetal Alchemist series that much at all, largely for reasons I'm not supposed to talk about in this forum like "theological" and "negative" themes. It also didn't really live up to the incredibly high expectations I had for it given what people had said about the franchise before I actually purchased and watched it. I know a lot of people here and a huge population of anime fandom love it to death, but I don't. Does that make me a hipster anime fan?
Actually, no, you are not a hipster (rejoice!). If you were, you would be like me who is all like, *puts on fake glasses* "I liked FMA and FMA:B before it was popular. Heck, I read the manga before most of you were born."

But anyway, it just means you got it all hyped for you and it wasn't quite your cup of tea. That happens a lot, even with popular anime. It's also a reason I like anime, it's diverse enough that not everyone has to like the same series!

But to the happy topic of this thread, the FMA anime do rank highly in terms of "best anime", I think.
Brotherhood was the better of the two series by far, but both had their pros and cons. The first FMA series had a solid start and brilliant character development until the story went sideways, backwards, and upside down to who knows where. Brotherhood didn't focus on early character development as much as "let's get to the cool parts of the story, yay!". Yet, they not only had a better story but they stayed true to the actual names for the 7 homunculus, so kudos for that.
All the theology in the series is a whole other can of worms to open, but one thing I will point out is that in Brotherhood (and in the manga), the homunculus die (spoilers XD; ) as they lived, which I find quite interesting. A bit of an extension of "pride cometh before fall" and all that.
(mini note: while this section of my post is not directed to you, Mullet Death, if you want to talk about FMA theological stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want. XD Or anyone can if they want.)

So, in summary, read the manga. =D
goldenspines

Postby Ryosuke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:19 am

You need to watch sword art online. It has a great concept and a similar feel to your current favorites. Please try and enjoy!
~*~Blessedly married to Okami!~*~
Ryosuke

Postby marro1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:00 am

Ryosuke wrote:You need to watch sword art online. It has a great concept and a similar feel to your current favorites. Please try and enjoy!

I have, it's on my top 6 list. :D
Edward

Death the Kid.

marro1

Postby Cat96 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:08 pm

I finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I started watching Brotherhood in May (a month after finishing the '03 series) and finished today. Haven't regretted a single moment of it. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I loved the ending, especially Ed's line before the final credits. I loved how they played "Hologram" (FMA:B's second opening song) as the ending song for the final episode. I loved how the animation that went along with the ending song answered most of my remaining questions about the series. I would call this anime one of the best I've seen.

Now I must go on back and watch the 1st episode again as I have a tradition of rewatching the 1st episode after I finish an amazing anime.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews