Anime Figures

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime Figures

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:56 am

Does anyone around here collect anime figures? I've been trying to kind of "get into it" lately, but I'm not sure of how the hobby works since the supply of each figure is limited and any prospective buyer needs to evidently pre-order several months in advance. That's not even mentioning all the fakes out there or the sometimes outrageous prices. I JUST HAD to have this one since I love Kuroki, so bought it as soon as Crunchyroll sent me an email about it:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/7144 ... -PRE-ORDER

I also kinda want to get this one, but money's tight right now. I'm wondering if I can wait, or if you really have to pre-order in the like the first week of the figure being announced to have any hopes of getting a special one:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/7199 ... -PRE-ORDER

Here's another random one I'd love to have someday:

http://www.goodsmile.info/product/en/34 ... shima.html

So, if you collect figures, share what you've got. :) Or, if you've got advice for a would-be hobbyist, I'd take it. Or, if you wanna call me a disreputable gentleman who can suck eggs, I'll take that too. *I'm not good at starting threads.* Go!

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Re: Anime Figures

Postby KazeShiki » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:26 am

I'm not the most knowledgeable about figures, mainly because it's an expensive hobby that I try to steer away from for the sake of my wallet. Yes, figures get announced months before their release when buyers can make pre-orders. Figures normally do not sell out on pre-order, let alone the first week. It all depends on popularity. For example, Kuroki is not going to sell out. Then look at Shimakaze who recently sold out in less than a day. The pre-order period is your best time to get them, so while you normally don't have to worry about selling out, there is still the deadline of pre-orders. However, oftentimes figures will get production beyond pre-orders but it's going to be months later for the same price. I assume it's just based off popularity. Like, it's really easy to find Nanoha figures because it's such a popular series. So really, the faster something sells out, the more likely you'll get another chance, just not anytime soon. I'll say I've never heard of figures NOT getting more production after pre-orders, and this is most likely due to the ones that don't are the ones hardly anyone cares about. But like I said, I'm no expert so don't quote me on this and figures do eventually stop getting production.

Limited edition figures are another story. Obviously, you should take the chance while you have it if you really want it. It's unlikely there'll be more, but it's not unheard of to get future re-releases. I think there was a limited edition Saber that got like 3-4 releases because it was such easy money. Kind of sad but throwing on "limited edition" makes people more prone to buy but then it's not really limited. I couldn't resist getting this just cause they told me limited edition. Yeah don't remind me about the price...
http://www.goodsmile.info/product/en/39 ... r+ver.html

Figures after pre-orders and official release are for sale in the right places, though obviously the older it is, the harder to find. I got mine from actual shops in Japan, but there are a handful of legit (by legit, I just mean not fake) online shops that sell figures. The supply, however, will be in some balance between popular enough to get more production and be carried by the seller but not so popular that everywhere is sold out. A slight tangent, but anime goods sometimes sell out completely with no more production even if they're really popular. Makes me sad.

Anyway, yeah the hobby is a bit different since it involves ordering months in advance. I wouldn't rely on future production, mainly because it's just so much harder to find them unless it's super popular. It's nice to have a shelf of your favorite characters, but space is a big problem and honestly the biggest hindrance to me. Or rather, it's the biggest money saver because I just don't have space. In fact, I just saw a Shiki today I wanted but I literally do not have a place to put her. Money is another huge problem. They're pretty expensive and the shipping adds up. Please spend wisely.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 am

Hey, no judgement here! It's all good. From what I've seen so far and from what you've said I guess it's not an exact science. Do you have other figures to show? I'm curious about your little collection now, especially since you say you're running out of room.

Mullet Death

Postby KazeShiki » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:39 am

My collection is actually very small as I really try not to buy figures. A couple Fate Testarossas, some Nana Mizukis, Touko from Bungaku Shoujo. I have no clue what I'm going to do with that Tsukihi I linked as it's really huge for a figure lol. That said, my current space issue is a result of recently moving to a very small room. Don't even have space for my current collection (which I didn't bring anyway). However, I know others who run into the space issue too, so it does become a problem for any collector.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Rzerox21xx » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:09 pm

you heard of the Marvel or DC Bishoujo Collection:] by Kotobukiya

I got one of Xforce Psylocke here how she looks.

http://www.kirinhobby.com/shop/product_ ... 7AodEnQAow

I also got Kitty Pryde

when I went to Akihabara I brought a bunch of Rurouni Kenshin figures, mostly from the Story Image Yamato series.

and I great looking Sasuke Uchiha and swimsuit Hinata and Sakura.

I also got a nice Lucy Heartfillia from Fairy Tail, well 2 1 of them is very fanservicey which would bother some people.
Rzerox21xx

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:56 pm

I'd lump figures in with pretty much any licensed toy, and I rarely buy them if they're just static figures. It just doesn't add any enjoyment for me.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby jmark » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Ive purchased a few, my favorite being San from Princess Mononoke riding on the back of a wolf, and will likely buy some more here and there in the future. If I where to give any advice it would just be to be weary of eBay since a number of those are knockoffs. Aside from robbing the original companies and designers of a sale they're just not the best of quality. I bought one of Belldandy from an online vendor I wasn't familiar with and I suspect its a bootlegged. The material in her legs seems way to soft and after some time she'll start to lean forward so I just keep her in her box. Thankfully it wasn't too expensive and it's not something to worry about if ordering from Crunchyroll and Goodsmile. Other than that, just pick what you like. Go with personal value over market value and you'll enjoy it more.

P.S. The sites I'll find myself checking for figures more and more is Amiami. I've had good experience with them and even their cheapest shipping is pretty quick. The downside to them is that while their site is in English everything is still priced in Yen so it helps to have Google opened in a separate tab to do currency conversion.
"Always remember we come from a family raised on an island with a beach-based tourist economy that sold its sand because it somehow believed that brown mud was just as good. We shouldn't have hope, and yet we do." - A.C. Miranda on the subject of life on the Texas Gulf Coast.
jmark

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:40 pm

My Tomoko Kuroki Nedo came yesterday, It's pretty cool but I'm not sure if I should take it out of the box or keep it in there.

Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:18 pm

If you're not buying them as an investment... which will give you more pleasure? Do that one.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Aven » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:47 am

I love figures. And would buy a ton of them if I actually had money. X3
Aven

Postby Rzerox21xx » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:55 am

You have to be careful with getting figures especially online due to counterfeits and that means you should avoid ordering from China or Hong Kong or any other country not Japan. I know some legit sites like Amiami or CD Japan. I ordered for 25 bucks 6 Naruto mini figures before I knew better from Hong Kong and I can tell it doesn't look right lol.
Rzerox21xx

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:06 am

Aside from the manufacturers' own websites (like GoodSmile, etc.), of course :) , CDJapan, AmiAmi, Robert's Anime Corner Store, Rightstuf, and the Crunchyroll store are all great places to get legit figures. :thumb:

As for my collection, I've got four right now :) -- the original (big) Ultimate Madoka from GoodSmile (and man, is this thing gorgeous!), the Trigun: Badlands Rumble Wolfwood, the (matching) Trigun: Badlands Rumble Vash ('Gunman In Black' variant!), and the Steins;Gate Kurisu 'floating gears' one (the latter three all from Kotobukiya).
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Oh wow, you've got Trigun figures? That's cool, you should post some pictures.

Mullet Death

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:36 pm

^ IKR? :) I'd actually been wanting those two particular figures for a long time now, and thankfully Crunchy still had some once I finally had enough extra cash lying around to utilize! :dance:

As for pictures-- well, I would, but the lighting's not so good in my house, unfortunately (and since I don't have a glass case or anything for them yet, once I put them together I put them back in the boxes to keep dust and stuff off of them, too); but I can post links to the official pics (and place I got them :thumb: ), if you want. :)

Ultimate Madoka (this one's out of print now, though, so it's just pics)
Trigun Wolfwood
Trigun Vash (black variant)
Steins;Gate Kurisu
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:45 am

Wow MangaRocks! Those are gorgeous! :D
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Aven » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:31 pm

omg you have ultimate madoka
i'm so jealous uvu
Aven

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:28 pm

I don't know if this counts(it probably doesn't XD) but I really want to get the Skyward Sword Link action figure(even though its like forty bucks O_O).
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby nillapoet » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:02 pm

I want to collect some, but man are those things expensive.
nillapoet

Postby nln_rose » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:58 pm

yeah i'd love to get something from steins;gate, but everything related to that anime is over $60. :(
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:16 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:... I've got four right now :) -- the original (big) Ultimate Madoka from GoodSmile (and man, is this thing gorgeous!), the Trigun: Badlands Rumble Wolfwood, the (matching) Trigun: Badlands Rumble Vash ('Gunman In Black' variant!), and the Steins;Gate Kurisu 'floating gears' one (the latter three all from Kotobukiya).

Digging up a year-old old thread (don't hurt me, LOL :sweat: ) to post my newest figure acquisition:

The Durarara!!x2 Heiwajima Shizuo (renewal version/variant) from Alter (imported via CDJapan-- another great place to buy legit figures)! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby shooraijin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:52 am

You're forgiven.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mullet Death » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:35 pm

It's really hard to believe I created this thread in 2013... But since the forum's dead anyway, bringing it up again can't hurt.

My collection has amassed two Nami from One Piece figures; the Good Smile Company's Lucy from Fairy Tail figure-- which may just be my coolest figure; the adorable Tomoko Kuroki Nendo from わたモテ mentioned in the OP; and the first Renge from Non Non Biyori Nendo-- by far my cutest figure. It's obvious that my sanity is long gone if there was ever any of it in the first place when it comes to my anime, manga and related merchandise collection (or period, for that matter), but my figure collection in particular grows much, much more slowly than the anime portion of the collection.

I happen to be waiting on three different figure preorders at the moment. Two of them are from Is the Order a Rabbit? and as such are irresistibly adorable, resulting in my typical knee-jerk "Shut up and take my money" reaction. One of them is this box set of chibi figures of the main cast. The other one is the 1/7th scale Sharo figure!

My other preorder comes out this month, and it's a box of Himouto! Umaru-chan Trading Figures (although I didn't buy them at AmiAmi). Also really, really cute. I love the シルフィンフォード (her name is hard to spell in romanization) one most of all because she's my definitely my favorite.

Cool story, bro.

Mullet Death

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews