Shakespeare in Anime?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Shakespeare in Anime?

Postby ForeverInspired » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:44 pm

So, I already have watched Blast of Tempest and really enjoyed it. I know that there is a Romeo x Juliet anime and that No. 6 references Shakespeare. I was wondering, are there others that reference/quote Shakespeare? ;)
ForeverInspired

Re: Shakespeare in Anime?

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Kenichi: the Mightiest Disciple
Hmm...can't think of any others off the top of my head.

And this isn't anime, but I had to share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjpNMJ4bXMA
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby SierraLea » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:09 pm

How on earth does Kenichi Reference Shakespeare? I've seen that and am studying that writer for college and can't see any links.
SierraLea

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Um, Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet, Kenichi has a Romeo and Juliet play in it. So...
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby LastLfan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Nothing to add, except to elaborate on no.6's references. The main character reads shakesphere and names one of the rats hamlet
LastLfan

Postby faithb4sight » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Well there is an episode of Ranma 1/2 that *attempts* a Shakespearean play. Episode #39. It's actually a really cute/funny episode but the play gets all wacky by the end.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby John_Smith » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 pm

There's a minor character in Stellvia of the Universe that quotes Shakespeare in almost every scene she appears in. Other than that, I don't know of any.
John_Smith

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews