Silver Spoon (from FMA author Hiromu Arakawa)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Silver Spoon (from FMA author Hiromu Arakawa)

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 pm

So, who's watching Silver Spoon, from the same genius who created Full Metal Alchemist? It's really different from her previous work, which was epic action. This takes Arakawa's background growing up in Hokkaido and is really more of a slightly educational comedy series. Anyone who read the FMA manga might remember, Arakawa represented herself in her author notes as a cow. Her quirky sense of humor really shines in this series. I highly recommend it!

Hachiken is a city boy who chooses to go to a farming high school to escape... family problems? (answer as yet unclear...) He finds himself surrounded by farmkids, who can only be described as Agricultural Nerds. As he struggles to find his purpose and to fit in with all these country kids, he also learns a lot more than he ever wanted to know about where his food comes from...

New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Re: Silver Spoon (from FMA author Hiromu Arakawa)

Postby skreyola » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm watching it, but I'm a week behind the streams because I don't have a paid account at CR.
I'm enjoying the show a lot. I can't wait to see Hachi's backstory.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Sheenar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I haven't seen any of the show yet (didn't know it was available to watch yet --will check it out), but I have been following the manga for some time. Having been an Animal Science major in college, the agricultural aspect of the series has been very enjoyable. The characters are endearing as well. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby skreyola » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah, even Hulu has started posting episodes. I saw Ep. 4 tonight on CR.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Rewin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 pm

skreyola wrote:I'm watching it, but I'm a week behind the streams because I don't have a paid account at CR.

Same here. Having lived all my life on a dairy and around other "Ag Kids" this show is absolutely hilarious for me. Although most things are exaggerated there is a lot of truth behind it as well. Ex: the Holstein Club. I never really thought about what it must sound like if people overhear dairymen talking about cows. :hits_self
I'm really enjoying this show and look forward to the next episode. :rock:
Rewin

Postby skreyola » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Rewin wrote:
skreyola wrote:I'm watching it, but I'm a week behind the streams because I don't have a paid account at CR.

Same here. Having lived all my life on a dairy and around other "Ag Kids" this show is absolutely hilarious for me. Although most things are exaggerated there is a lot of truth behind it as well. Ex: the Holstein Club. I never really thought about what it must sound like if people overhear dairymen talking about cows. :hits_self
I'm really enjoying this show and look forward to the next episode. :rock:

Well, I think about how people look at me when I'm talking computers to another geek, and I guess we're not too far from that, either.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Sheenar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Rewin wrote:

Same here. Having lived all my life on a dairy and around other "Ag Kids" this show is absolutely hilarious for me. Although most things are exaggerated there is a lot of truth behind it as well. Ex: the Holstein Club. I never really thought about what it must sound like if people overhear dairymen talking about cows.

I can really relate. Most of my friends don't get the excitement of talking about equine nutrition/livestock handling/anatomy and physiology/etc. And I have to remember that most non-ag people don't find talking about ruminant animal digestion good dinner conversation. haha

I spent 6 years studying Agriculture, so I am quite passionate about it. Especially equine subjects --that was my focus in grad school. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Gaaah, I really need to get started on this! I've been following the manga from the beginning, and I love it - Arakawa-san is as hilarious as ever, and it's a surprisingly interesting story for being about a subject I have no interest in whatsoever. This will be the first time I've followed a story from the beginning of the manga all the way through to its anime adaptation as it's coming out, so I'm really excited about this!
the_wolfs_howl

Postby skreyola » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 pm

The author has a good sense of humor. Even though I thought the crop circle story line was a little lame, there were many, many funny beats in that episode. I'm enjoying this series a lot.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Watching this while knowing the current manga events really changes your perspective on things.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby skreyola » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Cool, but don't spoil anything for us! :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby KazeShiki » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:31 am

lol yeah I tried to word that as ambiguous and vague as possible =P
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby skreyola » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm

I appreciate that. One of the reasons I don't normally participate in series threads here is fear of spoilers, since I'm usually at least a week behind.

To say something meaningful about the show: I found the pizza episode amusing, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: though sadly lacking in pepperoni! I was a bit surprised by how long it took them to figure out that the school would have everything they needed to make pizzas, but I loved how everyone came together to make it happen. I hope they keep up the oven, even if it doesn't appear in the show anymore. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews