Free!: as in swimming boys, not beer or speech

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Free!: as in swimming boys, not beer or speech

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 pm

GeneD wrote:Rin says the boys are not in shape and haven't been working out! O.o Curse high school boys and their apparent ability to burn calories and build muscle by breathing, and idk, being awake and blinking.

And carrying the eyes of all the fangirls, they don't weigh much but they add up. :P
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:17 am

haru is water oreki and that makes him the water best
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 am

no free this week, The Lord giveth and The Lord taketh away
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Been watching some of the swimming at the FINA World Championships... not the same! T_T
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 am

ironically, that is the reason it's been delayed
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:48 am

Oh I know.
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:26 pm

oh wait that was the joke wasn't it
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:05 am

Yes it was hilarious.
GeneD

Postby drill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 pm

The delayed episode 5 finally got released today :D Haven't had a chance to watch it yet though.
drill

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Episode 5:

This was mostly full of lulz as usual :grin: , however there was actually a little bit of seriousness there too with that obvious bad history Makoto's had with the ocean (looks like the death of a loved one... I mean, it was so bad that even Rin was concerned for him :sweat: ), as well as that surprise cliffhanger with Rei (he really is an idiot :forehead: :shake: :P -- and poor Makoto's reaction...).

BTW, speaking of Rin, I have to say that it was nice to see him actually be... well, nice, for once. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 am

Man that cliffhanger, can you imagine if the schedule break was after ep 5 instead of before? So if Makoto has an issue with the ocean is that, for Haru, like when your best friend and your girlfriend don't get along? XP

Also, I think Makoto may be my favourite free.
GeneD

Postby ForeverInspired » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:31 am

The light and joyous story is developing some serious plot! Here's to hoping that the producers put it to good use! ;)
ForeverInspired

Postby GeneD » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:40 am

Ep 6:

OMG SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that CPR HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Overall I thought this was a pretty bland episode, even considering last ep's cliffhanger. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: When one of them mentioned being cold I was like O.o Oh please no, please don't someone suggest they huddle together for warmth! Thank goodness for that lighthouse. The story telling was entertaining enough but the reveal about Makoto's ocean issues was very anti-climactic. Maybe in a show that's all melodrama all the time, something that's supposed to be actually quite serious/dramatic just comes off as boring.

Have I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of the art? When it comes to how the guys' muscles are drawn. I think the shadows are too sharp and don't seem to be really dependent on the light present at any given time. I mean, I know they are going for the chiseled look but still. For example when SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Haru was helping Makoto out of the water and there's a close up shot of what I think was an arm and shoulder, I couldn't tell where one boy began and the other ends. Idk, maybe that was the point. Since I'm already complaining I might as well add that I'd really like to see some more swimming, especially of the competitive variety, instead of all the sitting around talking about things. From the preview I'm not sure we're going to get some next week but I'll live in hope.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:19 pm

GeneD wrote:OMG SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that CPR HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*snort* Yeah, it was inevitable that they were going to tease that at some point. :eyeroll: I do kinda wish that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Makoto had spewed that water straight into Haru's face instead of off to the side, though-- that would've at least gotten an LOL out of me instead of an eyeroll. :grin:

GeneD wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: When one of them mentioned being cold I was like O.o Oh please no, please don't someone suggest they huddle together for warmth!

LOL! That was pretty much the exact same reaction I had as well. :lol:

GeneD wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ...the reveal about Makoto's ocean issues was very anti-climactic.

Yeah, that was kinda strange. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I had already assumed that it was because someone he knew died at sea-- but the way it was revealed was indeed really anticlimactic for something that serious. :eyebrow:

Anyway, things I *did* like about the ep.: The whole amusing lighthouse bit (including everyone but Haru being total scaredy-cats :grin: , Rei getting picked on in particular :grin: , Haru's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'love story' (bwahahahaha! :lol: ), etc.); and the end of the ep., which was kinda cute.

Otherwise, though, yeah, this definitely wasn't as good as some of the previous ones.
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:49 pm

I think I would have preferred that the tone of the episode stay serious until the part with the stars, after which going back to the lighthearted tone would feel pretty natural. Having jokes about scary lighthouses, mackerel, and campfire stories in the middle of the episode kinda threw me off. It wasn't a horrendously bad episode, but it definitely wasn't as good as the first five.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Haru, you don't try to do rescue breaths on someone WHO IS BREATHING AND HAS A PULSE. щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

At least we got to see Rin in a ponytail. :3

MangaRocks! wrote:*snort* Yeah, it was inevitable that they were going to tease that at some point. :eyeroll: I do kinda wish that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Makoto had spewed that water straight into Haru's face instead of off to the side, though-- that would've at least gotten an LOL out of me instead of an eyeroll. :grin:

http://miscellaneousmiscellania.tumblr.com/post/58341801925/nu-pogodi-lychgate-you-know-what-i-think
Vii

Postby Mouse2010 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 pm

I guess I'm the only one who really liked this episode? I actually kind of liked the sudden shift from SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "serious water rescue" to "let's explore the haunted house!"precisely because it was so unexpected. And Nagisa's rockhopper penguin impression was adorable. Actually, I liked Nagisa throughout this episode, which was a surprise, because I initially thought he was the most annoying character. Apparently his annoyingness amuses me when it's aimed at Rei. Yeah, I guess the explanation for Makoto's ocean angst was anti-climactic-- but it did explain the goldfish grave from the previous episode, and I liked that.
Mouse2010

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi guys, I managed to pick this up because they had a (noticeably shrinking) pile of them at the Shinjuku animate. It's mostly character designs and sketches and stuff, but they do have an interview if you can read Japanese and they do have a bunch of sketches with very different character designs from the early days of the project when the only hints of it were an image in rotation on the Animation Do website.
blkmage

Postby EventualDay » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:28 pm

On the one hand, I thought the ocean-trauma explanation made Makoto's fear seem a bit shallow.... I mean, it makes sense that he might be scared of the ocean afterward (especially as a kid), but it's been a really long time you know? Still, on the other hand I despise shows that hand out "sudden tragic backstories" to characters like Halloween candy. While Makoto's was anti-climatic, it seems a lot more realistic than the over-the-top ones I've now become numb to.

I'm not sure whether or not I liked the juxtaposing of serious to funny in the episode, but I think if there hadn't been those jokes this episode would have awkwardly stood out in a different way.

The whole time, though, I was thinking "Rin seriously why aren't you with them?? You idiot!" Haha.

Also blkmage that book looks really cool. The pre-designs especially interest me.
EventualDay

Postby blkmage » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm not sure why all traces of the original image was obliterated from the Animation Do website, but it was publicly available for a while and at least until early this year. Of course, you would've had to have been the kind of person who pays attention to website updates of minor animation studios to have seen it before the original CM aired.

Anyway, see if you can spot the differences.

blkmage

Postby GeneD » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:59 am

blkmage wrote:Anyway, see if you can spot the differences.

Nope that is the show to a T. XP

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well my prediction was wrong and we got no cliffhanger of the race or the results, which was nice.

Rin's backstory is what Makoto's should have been last week.

Rematch denied! Rin's resolve to never swim against Haru again is just a clever way to protect himself from getting stuck in the same rut if he doesn't win next time. Heaven knows how he's going to get anywhere in competitive swimming if he gets hung up on every guy who beats him but I assume he won't because Haru is a special swimming snowflake. XD Also, I think we should have seen it coming that Haru can't beat Rin on his own. Clearly he can only do it with the help of his friends in the relay.
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:46 pm

U MAD RIN

yes, quite pleased with how everything turned out
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Ah such a mopey episode. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Rin beats Haru -NO ONE is happy with this!

I liked that none of them won their individual heats, since realistically they haven't been practicing as long as the other schools, but of course they'll win the relay by the power of friendship. Lol at Rin being jealous of Rei. Also, I hope next week has more swimming than what was shown in the preview, i.e. none.

Does anyone else keep thinking "Shark bait hoo ha ha!" whenever Rin's teeth are on screen? No, just me...
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm

^ You guys said it all, haha. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Lol Rei's pajamas.
Vii

Postby Lynna » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm really, really loving this show and I have no idea why. I mean, as someone else mentioned, it has a lot of Chihayafuru-esque themes, so the plot isn't really original or anything, and the characters don't have a lot of depth (though hopefully they'll improve), so I'm really not sure what makes me enjoy it so much. But I do :)
Lynna

Postby ForeverInspired » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:26 am

Haru's thinking deep... I love it. :)
ForeverInspired

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 am

Lynna wrote:I'm really, really loving this show and I have no idea why. I mean, as someone else mentioned, it has a lot of Chihayafuru-esque themes, so the plot isn't really original or anything, and the characters don't have a lot of depth (though hopefully they'll improve), so I'm really not sure what makes me enjoy it so much. But I do :)
I have yet to actually see the show but it's very possible that you are discovering by accident (like most people) how awesome sports anime are. You should totes go watch Oofuri and Giant Killing.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Episode 9:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yep-- as expected by everyone watching this show, LOL, they won. ;) Even though that was really predictable, however, I didn't mind in the least; it was a nicely exciting way to begin the ep., and anyway I liked how Haru won it. :)

LOL, though, when they were at the festival later I almost thought Haru was going to try to hop into random containers of water again. :grin: (Surprisingly, he didn't. :grin: ) Oh, and speaking of the festival, the whole trying-to-avoid-Rin thing was hilarious. :lol: ("Detective Rei," LOL!)

Also, nice bit at the end there with Haru finally showing some emotion and saying that he wanted to be in the relay with everyone again. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 pm

I HUNGER for squid

disappointed in the lack of haru and mako yukata
blkmage

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 pm

That was a great episode. It transitioned well between emotion and comedy. Also, Haru is obtaining more of a character episode by episode... great things must be coming!

I really like the part where Rin is at the elementary school... nice playback.
ForeverInspired

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews