Free!: as in swimming boys, not beer or speech

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Free!: as in swimming boys, not beer or speech

Postby GeneD » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Well I laughed harder at next week's preview than I have at anything in the last few episodes.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:02 pm

GeneD wrote:Well I laughed harder at next week's preview than I have at anything in the last few episodes.

ALL OUT ALL OUT :lol:
Also this episode: Flashbacks, Sensei's (obvious) secret revealed :grin: , and Rei. :hug:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 pm

This week was mostly repetitive. I felt like I had heard most of this already in previous flashbacks. Their are only a few things made clearer and Rei's obvious predicament with the whole situation. Next week's episode should be good though. Battle between Rin and Rei ... who will win? :D
Last edited by ForeverInspired on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForeverInspired

Postby Vii » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:32 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:
GeneD wrote:Well I laughed harder at next week's preview than I have at anything in the last few episodes.

ALL OUT ALL OUT :lol:

PERFECT BODY
Vii

Postby GeneD » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:07 am

This is the best thread.

This comment is a week late but I liked the in-universe acknowledgement of Rin's shark teeth in ep 9.

I kinda forgot that there are now only 2 episodes left...
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 am

25k BD+DVD first week sales, well over what anyone was estimating and well over any of KyoAni's recent shows since K-ON!. This is essentially KuroBas numbers right off the bat, and without the help of event tickets or anything.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

^ Wow. :pikka:

Episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Heh, wow, that conversation/argument was pretty intense. :sweat:

Later: Haru's "Losing... moisture..." bit was pretty funny. :grin: And his being a bit more open with everyone now (talking/smiling more, making sure Rei knew that he's a true part of the team, thanking the others, etc.) was sweet, too. Actually, most of the episode (aside from the beginning and end) had a nice, pleasant tone to it.

BTW, have I mentioned that Rei is adorable? I think he's my favorite character from this particular series now. :)

Also, I was not expecting what happened at the end after the credits-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I mean, it makes perfect sense, since that's what a good captain should do; still, I was not expecting it. That certainly makes the upcoming finale just that little bit more interesting...
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:44 pm

that was really dumb

it was nice, but dumb

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: see you next summer...
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Rin gives new meanings to chewing the scenery and the ending was terribly predictable, but all the corny drama was hilarious, which is exactly what I wanted it to be.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Suddenly cherry blossom petals! OMG I was canning myself.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:13 pm

GeneD wrote:Rin gives new meanings to chewing the scenery and the ending was terribly predictable, but all the corny drama was hilarious, which is exactly what I wanted it to be.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Suddenly cherry blossom petals! OMG I was canning myself.

^ This, all this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yeah, Rin *really* fell apart there. :pikka: Though, I gotta say, Rei was totally awesome. He was already my favorite character of the show, and I love him even more now. :hug:

But yeah, I was nearly literally ROTFL'ing at the imaginary cherry blossoms bit with Rin (that really was a bit much). :lol: Also, I know the thing with all of them 'seeing' what Haru 'sees' when he swims was supposed to be cool and stuff, but for some reason I just found it really amusing instead (probably because of the slo-mo and the random sea creatures and etc.). :grin:

Anyway, I actually wasn't quite sure whether they'd go with the super-predictable-but-highly-unrealistic-underdog-win or not (I would've been fine with it either way), but it really did fit the tone of the rest of the show, so I'm glad they did (...even though switching in Rin disqualified them in the end regardless, bwahaha!!). :) And it was good to see Rin finally get his act together afterwards, as well.

So, yeah, this was a great finale for this show, IMO. (And is that end card saying what I think it is? ;) )

I ended up enjoying this series a lot more than I expected to, and it was a fun watch. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:57 pm

I found the actual end of the episode was pretty good and the swimming scene was fantastic
blkmage

Postby Vii » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:27 pm

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Cute corny ending. I like it.
Vii

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:07 pm

I kind of new that this would work out this way from halfway per my post on another forum: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I put two and two together and knew that this anime's plot wouldn't be able to finish properly without Rin swimming with the others on the relay once more. I find that it's really sad that Rin seems to only apologize to his own team (and why should he? He wasn't swimming in their relay anyway. He was only swimming individually for himself.)

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: However, I did doubt eventually how that would go over with Rei. He's such a good man - putting up with Rin's temper. He better have Rin eating his bubbles next time as punishment. Also, I really liked how he said that Rin was off on his dive. That's so him!

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The selling part was the relay animation. I really found it amusing though that the swimmers would all of a sudden start floating in the water. I felt like hitting them with a bat and telling them to stop slacking off. I get what the producers were trying to portray, but that's not swimming. Do slow motion, do flashback - do anything but that! Anyway, I also really liked when Rin was redoing his introduction to a class. SO FUNNY!
ForeverInspired

Postby Mouse2010 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Okay, I finally got around to finishing this, about two months late! I find I don't have much to say about it. It was a good series, but I realized at the end that it was mostly the animation that I liked rather than the plot or characters.

So here's my question. At the end, instead of saying "see you next water time," it says: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "See you next summer." Does that mean that a sequel is in the works, or what? Is there any gossip about this? Just curious!
Mouse2010

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Most shows' endcards change in the last episode to acknowledge the show ending. It doesn't really mean anything on its own.

Of course, we also know now that it's done really well for them. It's probably making the most money for them since K-ON!! ended.
blkmage

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews