Free!: as in swimming boys, not beer or speech

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Free!: as in swimming boys, not beer or speech

Postby blkmage » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:35 pm

What is Free!?
Free! is the latest TV animation production by Kyoto Animation. It follows the story of a bunch of friends who were on the same swimming team in elementary school and are now reunited in high school. The story is based on the light novel High☆Speed!, which is set during the boys' elementary school years. The light novel won some kind of award in KyoAni's light novel competition, the winners of which have formed the basis of their last few shows.

Oh, so this is the anime that got made because of tumblr and Crunchyroll?
I WILL CUT YOU There's a long story behind this. Essentially, a commercial aired after the end of one of the Tamako Market episodes in March and everyone went nuts over the fact that Kyoto Animation, known for godly animation and moe girls, was animating something with hot dudes. At first everyone thought this was a new anime and went nuts. Then everyone realized it was (at that point) only a commercial and went even more nuts. Finally, because of this, in an incredible act of hubris and intellectual bankruptcy, Crunchyroll created a petition to make this thing into an anime.

The truth is, the show (as with all other KyoAni productions) has been in the works for a long time. Concept art for the show appeared on the site of Animation Do, a KyoAni subsidiary, as early as last year. High☆Speed!, the light novel on which Free! is based, won an honourable mention in the KyoAni contest in 2011. Neither tumblr nor Crunchyroll nor anyone outside of the Japanese archipelago has had one bit to do with the existence of this show, and definitely not anytime within the four months before the airing of the first episode. If I were a mod of an anime forum, I would abuse my powers to ban anyone who so much as breathes this sentiment, but since I'm not, I'll have to settle with trying to set them on fire over the internet with my mind.

So why should I watch this show which Kyoto Animation produced of their own volition?
Because KyoAni is excellent at what they do and because, for those of you who care about this sort of stuff, it's not a bunch of girls doing nothing (so to speak). If you doubt there'll actually be any swimming, you can take a look at the staff and note that there's a guy whose job is to work on water animation. And also, based on their last few shows, they can make boys really moe as well.

Where and when can I watch this?
Much to my disappointment, Crunchyroll's disgusting cheerleading was (hopefully unintentionally) rewarded with the streaming license at http://crunchyroll.com/swim on Wednesdays at 12:15 Pacific, starting on July 3, just in time to celebrate the birth of the land of the Free!. Image
blkmage

Re: Free!: as in swimming boys, not beer or speech

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:38 pm

^ LOL-- I think this is the best opening post to a Let's Watch thread that I've seen on here so far. :lol:

Looking forward to Wednesday! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Florenzian Parameter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:40 am

i would watch this...cuz im already sick with kyoani's moe gurls

and not to mention they are so handsome...i would always fall on handsome guys (exception is utapri...i cant handle the stupidness of the characters)
Florenzian Parameter

Postby GeneD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 am

OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17y_LadHeXU

ED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlvJ3SzBnwg

I was legit just sitting there laughing all the way through the ED. I hope this will be amazing, KyoAni you better not disappoint.
GeneD

Postby goldenspines » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:48 am

Forgot to post in here earlier saying that I'm going to be watching this and such.
The reason I'm watching this anime should be quite obvious. *~(♥o♥)~* Have you seen how gorgeous KyoAni water is? I mean, look at it! O_O

Also, both OP and ED look and sound great. This will be amazing, I'm sure.
goldenspines

Postby Juliannesan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Wow, haha. Quite passionate about this are we, blkmage? Well, I watched the first episode of it, it was pretty decent. Definitely visually pleasing as always. But I'm curious to see if the storyline itself will pique my interest enough to stay watching.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Lynna » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:23 pm

What's with the dessert themed ending?
It looks so good. Too bad I won't have time to watch it just yet
Lynna

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Episode 1:

LOL, that ED... :grin:

As for the episode itself :) , I also found it pretty amusing, especially due to the characters' personalities/interactions-- and then, of course, there's that beautiful animation. :thumb: So, yeah, it was a pretty good opening ep., IMO.
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:04 pm

kyoani has finally delivered a cute girls doing cute things anime but with boys
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Canon ship of Haruka X water/pools/ocean/etc. Calling it right now.

Nice start to the series. The mystery of the shovel in the trailers has been solved and as suspected, Miyano's character is going to start out a jerk.

Gou is my favorite character so far, though.
goldenspines

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:56 pm

goldenspines wrote:Canon ship of Haruka X water/pools/ocean/etc. Calling it right now.

^ LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking! :lol:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 am

blkmage wrote:kyoani has finally delivered a cute girls doing cute things anime but with boys

Melodramatic boys doing melodramatic things? Seriously has there ever been a more dramatic removal of shirts/clothes? T

he anti-climax with their old swimming club pool was hilarious. I think as long as the show doesn't take itself too seriously we're going to be okay. I've been watching the OP and ED excessively, the ED still makes me laugh every time. Also Haruka X water yes.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 am

Episode 2:

I love how this show doesn't take itself entirely seriously. :grin: Also, Gou ("Kou!") is a really amusing addition to the cast (that back-and-forth she had with Nagisa was perfect, LOL :grin: , as was her reaction every time she saw a toned, shirtless guy :lol: ). Also, the Haruka x water pairing is as hilarious as ever SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (oh my gosh the fishtank in the store, ROTFL! :lol: ).
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 pm

"Those triceps!"
Vii

Postby GeneD » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:27 am

KyoAni poking fun at/acknowledging their fans was brilliant: "...shouldn't ogle naked men." I also really liked that Gou had a normal reaction to the guy calling her cute and not some weird shy/tsundere nonsense. I really like both her and their teacher's characterisation.

The whole pool cleaning montage was hilarious. Didn't mention it last time, but I really like the soundtrack and they do a great job matching it up with what's happening on screen, especially in ep 1 with both kid Rin and highschooler Rin's first appearances.
GeneD

Postby GeneD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Pardon me for double posting but,

Episode 3

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: He doesn't know how to swim. *slow clap*

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That belly flop oh my goodness. Totally saw that coming. I actually really liked the calculating/maths aspect of Rei's character so hopefully they don't do away with that completely. The Gou/Kou joke is getting a bit old. I still like the one about using their teacher as a marketing tool though.

I hope the title for next week means we're going to see some other strokes besides freestyle.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Episode 3:

Oh my gosh why is this show so adorable. :lol: The running jokes woven throughout the series are just priceless, haha.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, LOL at Nagisa wanting Rei just because of his name (...well, and his form, too-- but mostly just his name :lol: ), and Gou ("Kou!") wanting him just because of his muscles. :forehead: :grin:

And ROTFL at the poor guy's complete flop once he finally gave in-- I mean, I was pretty much expecting that, but man was it funny anyway (especially when they did like an instant-replay-with-different-angle-double-take of it immediately afterwards :lol: ). Oh yeah, and the "Haru-chan-san" and (hilarious-sounding) "responsibility" lines, too. :grin: Plus Haru, of course, as always. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:12 am

Rei is better than I could've expected
blkmage

Postby Mouse2010 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:28 pm

No one else seems to have said this yet, so I'll be the one to say it: this feels very much like a boy's love version of Chihayafuru, but with swimming instead of karuta. Group of friends who bonded through a competitive club but were separated years ago? Check. Chance of being reunited by competing with each other? Check. One former member who gave up the sport and needs to be convinced to come back to it? Check. Tensions that seem almost erotically-charged between some of the main characters? Yeah, I know this is the debatable one, but I don't think you need to wear boy's love goggles to see possible sparks between Haru and Rin.

There are lots of ways in which it's really different from Chihayafuru, of course. I am NOT saying that this show is derivative; it's more like its drawing on the same tropes about friendship, growing up, and high school sports that Chihayafuru employed. And I don't really think there's going to be a romantic relationship between Haru and Rin . . . I do think there's room to see a lot of homoerotic subjext in this show, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of the really popular ships in this fandom were slash relationships.

Since I'm talking shipping, though, let me tack this on: Mako-chan x Gou for the win! He's a sweet responsible guy and I think he'd make a good boyfriend for her. Especially since he's got some of the muscles that she loves. ;-)
Mouse2010

Postby Vii » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:04 pm

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I dive just about as well as Rei does.
Vii

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Mouse2010 wrote:No one else seems to have said this yet, so I'll be the one to say it: this feels very much like a boy's love version of Chihayafuru, but with swimming instead of karuta. Group of friends who bonded through a competitive club but were separated years ago? Check. Chance of being reunited by competing with each other? Check. One former member who gave up the sport and needs to be convinced to come back to it? Check. Tensions that seem almost erotically-charged between some of the main characters? Yeah, I know this is the debatable one, but I don't think you need to wear boy's love goggles to see possible sparks between Haru and Rin.

There are lots of ways in which it's really different from Chihayafuru, of course. I am NOT saying that this show is derivative; it's more like its drawing on the same tropes about friendship, growing up, and high school sports that Chihayafuru employed. And I don't really think there's going to be a romantic relationship between Haru and Rin . . . I do think there's room to see a lot of homoerotic subjext in this show, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of the really popular ships in this fandom were slash relationships.

Since I'm talking shipping, though, let me tack this on: Mako-chan x Gou for the win! He's a sweet responsible guy and I think he'd make a good boyfriend for her. Especially since he's got some of the muscles that she loves. ;-)

This is pretty much every shounen sports series.
blkmage

Postby Mouse2010 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:24 pm

blkmage wrote:This is pretty much every shounen sports series.

I guess I just haven't seen enough sports anime to recognize the tropes specific to that genre!
Mouse2010

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Ante Bellum

Postby GeneD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:56 am

I'll see your swimming and raise you chins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6uIwOKCvFk
GeneD

Postby Vii » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:07 am

I'll see your chins and raise you Shingeki no Kyojin, and Photobombing
Vii

Postby GeneD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:29 am

FOLD!
GeneD

Postby EventualDay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:16 pm

I dont know if I ever would have gotten around to watching this if I hadn't seen the ED first. Well now I'm hooked~ I guess boys friendships, realistically portrayed or not, really get me ^_^

Not to mention more evidence as to how far the fandom has already spread: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009KO7QNG
The first review is by Rei Ryugazaki :D
EventualDay

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Episode 4:

LOL at Haru not being able to choose what swimsuit he wants to wear when they're basically all the same. :lol: Also, I cannot get enough of Makoto playing with kittens. :hug:

I like the fact that Gou is not only amusing, she's also a surprisingly good manager.

And oh my gosh Rei is hysterical. :lol: :lol: :lol: (And then that store sequence... :lol: :lol: )
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Rin says the boys are not in shape and haven't been working out! O.o Curse high school boys and their apparent ability to burn calories and build muscle by breathing, and idk, being awake and blinking.

Them camera angles this episode though, wow. KyoAni certainly didn't hold back.

Also yes tiny cat.
GeneD

Postby Vii » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Best part was the endcard with Makoto in glasses. And playing video games with Haru. But mostly the glasses.
Vii

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews