Anime villains that realize their mistakes before their ends?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime villains that realize their mistakes before their ends?

Postby j814wong » Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 pm

What are some anime villains who, throughout a portion of the show or the whole thing, were very bad people who the audience would of thought had not an ounce of goodness in them but realize their mistakes and the wrong of their ways by the time of their death?

I've always quite enjoyed those sorts of scenes in animes.
j814wong

Re: Anime villains that realize their mistakes before their ends?

Postby skreyola » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm pretty early in the series, but it's looking like A Certain Magical Index might be doing this.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 am

Basically every villain in Gintama has some sort of realization like this. It has a way of making a character look like scum and then making you care at least a little about them in the end. Can't think of any more right now but they'll come to me...

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:42 am

There's a great one at the end of the original Mobile Suit Gundam with Char. He's not super evil, but he's been fighting for Zeon, who are pretty much space Nazis, so that he can get revenge on the family who killed his father, twisted his father's ideals and took control of Zeon. Over time, he develops this rivalry with a hotshot kid pilot named Amuro on the opposite side of the war, and they clash at some of its biggest battles, and through other circumstances the battles become hugely personal. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Eventually, though, the tide turns and Zeon starts losing, and losing badly. The last episode is giant robot D-Day in space, and Char and Amuro have this incredible fight; they end up trashing each others' mecha, but keep fighting on, literally wrestling with each other through the Zeon fortress. Then Char's sister shows up, tells him how foolish fighting with Amuro is when he could be fighting this ruling family behind it all; Char goes "Oh! Right!" and strikes the decisive blow, apparently sacrificing himself in the process. So it's redemption for the wrong reasons, but it counts, right? It's one of my favorite scenes in anime, definitely a great way to end the series.
Davidizer13

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm

The main one that's coming to mind for me is Scar from FMA. He's not the main villain, but he's a pretty dangerous adversary for much of the story, and in both the first anime and Brotherhood, he ends up going through a lot of character growth by the end.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Not technically an anime example, since this doesn't appear towards the end of the Visual Novel, but Beatrice from Umineko no naku koro ni is a great example of this.

At first you think she is nothing more than an incredibly brutal and sadistic witch, then you slowly realize that that was never the case at all and you start to genuinely feel sorry for her.
Yamamaya

Postby SierraLea » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Envy from FMAB was my first choice, most of the original villains from Nabari No Ou also fit the bill.
SierraLea

Postby KnightOfFive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:22 am

Zabuza from Naruto probably counts as at least a partial example, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: realizing that he should have valued his protoge more than his vendetta. And tearfully saying his final farewells to Haku as he dies.

Anemone from Eureka 7's manga also counts, at least I think I remember her dying afterwards.
KnightOfFive

Postby Peanut » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:35 am

Genya from Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still...in the most tragic of senses.
Peanut

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews