Looking for an Anime to watch with my Mother

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Looking for an Anime to watch with my Mother

Postby AndrewinIce » Fri May 24, 2013 1:17 pm

My mother and I watch a fair amount of tv together. Since I've really gotten into Anime over the past year, I was hoping to find one we could watch together. Anytime I watch one, she gives me a 'why' look. So I'm hoping if she watches one, she will see why I like them.

I am looking for one with a mystery as she really likes them, but I am open for any plots.

While they do not bother me (I just watched and enjoyed 'Hellsing' fairly well) I am hoping to find one with as little violence and sexual content as possible, as my mom is rather...well...she is close to being Amish. :sweat:

While scrolling through our NetflixInstent watch, I read the description of 'Eden of the East', and she said it sounded good. Might that be a good one?

Thanks.
AndrewinIce

Re: Looking for an Anime to watch with my Mother

Postby KazeShiki » Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 pm

I'll just say Wolf Children is probably now the go-to movie to watch with moms.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby skreyola » Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm

EotE is a great anime, and it has a lot of mystery elements. However, she (or you) may not want to watch it if either of you is bothered by nudity. If I recall, both males and females are shown nude, but how much is shown depends a lot on where you watch it. I saw it on Hulu, and it was very obviously edited (white splotches). Couldn't tell you about Netflix's version.
Though they may not be your mother's cup of tea, anything by Studio Ghibli is a good choice. There is usually very little in the way of objectionable material in their movies.
I seem to recall someone asking about mystery series in the Recommendations Thread, and you may wish to re-ask there, too, as some people keep an eye on it to help with these requests. But you can do a search if you just want to try to find the previous discussion of mystery anime.
I hope that helps, and I hope you find something you both love.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri May 24, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't know about using Wolf Children as an introductory anime, it's strikes me as being kind of out there. ...Oh wait Twilight, you're probably fine.

I highly recommend Little Witch Academia as a good intro to anime, but it's under 30min so it's only a start. (Really good though.)

If you want something with mysteries in it though; go for Hyouka; it's a nice, light show about solving some of life's little mysteries.

Anything by studio Ghibli would probably be good.

Maybe Summer Wars?
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Lynna » Fri May 24, 2013 9:05 pm

I watched Haibane Renmei with my mother, and she really liked it, especially with its Christian themes.
Lynna

Postby skreyola » Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 pm

I wouldn't say Haibane Renmei has Christian themes, just Christian imagery. The themes are more vague and muddy... at best they are Roman Catholic themes...

A better suggestion might be Usagi Drop (available on Hulu, for one). It's adorable, thoughtful, and realistic. No mystery, but no "Wat?" content, either.
Your mother might also enjoy Croissee in a Foreign Labyrinth (also available on Hulu). I showed it to my mother (who is also not a big anime fan), and she really enjoyed it, though she didn't much care for the character Alice.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Yami » Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 am

Eden of the east would be a pretty great.

Clannad would also be a good one.

or.... SUMMER WARS!
Yami

Postby LastLfan » Sat May 25, 2013 4:59 am

What about case closed? Never seen it so dont know about the content
LastLfan

Postby battletech » Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 am

LastLfan wrote:What about case closed? Never seen it so dont know about the content

It has some gruesome deaths and the failed detective Conan uses is some what of a drunk. It's not all the time but it is a running gag. Those two are about all I can think of.

Nanaka 6/17 and Elemental Gelad
I don't think those shows are streaming any where though. My mom watched Elemental and she never watches anime.
battletech

Postby LastLfan » Wed May 29, 2013 1:09 pm

No.6 is a good conspiracy distopian tale, can be bloody and a tad gruesome but pretty good, a little slow though
LastLfan

Postby SierraLea » Wed May 29, 2013 2:51 pm

One I would suggest is Mushi Shi. That was fairly mysterious, and unless your mom doesn't like supernatural stuff, it should be a good fit with no nudity I remember and almost no violence.
SierraLea

Postby skreyola » Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 pm

battletech wrote:Nanaka 6/17 and Elemental Gelad
I don't think those shows are streaming any where though. My mom watched Elemental and she never watches anime.

Omigosh! Yes! I can't believe i didn't think of Nanaka 6/17. It's an awesome show.
Haven't seen Elemental Gelade anywhere online (It's on my list of shows to see, so I've been looking), but Hulu has dubbed version of the whole series Nanaka 6/17. But check the Wikipedia article, because I think they have a couple of episodes out of their proper order.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby battletech » Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 am

So Hulu has Nanaka 6/17. Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to re-watch it. Have not seen it since it's DVD release. I sold the DVDs. I should have saved it. :(
battletech

Postby AndrewinIce » Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks all of you for your suggestions. I will do a little research into them and let her decide. Thank you all very much. :D
AndrewinIce

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews