[Summer 2013] Swimming Anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: [Summer 2013] Swimming Anime

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:21 pm

The Eccentric Family ep. 10:

THIS EPISODE :pikka:
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Loved the conversations between the brothers. :hug:

GAH, though-- that's *exactly* what I thought/was afraid the plans might be! :pikka: Soun is seriously evil. I mean, a human eating a Tanuki is one thing, especially if they don't understand what they truly are (though obviously I wish the Fellows would just stop it with that tradition already :sweat: ), but a Tanuki actually deliberately selling out first his very own brother and then his nephew also to be eaten is just sickening. This episode seriously gave me chills. :pikka: (And that was a killer cliffhanger, as well! :pikka: )

Seriously need the next ep.!! :?:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Monogatari reminding us we will never actually get Kizu.

Uchouten is set up to be the best show of the season. Don't mess this up, P.A. Works.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby blkmage » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:38 pm

I really wonder who at Aniplex decided that producing anything after Bakemonogatari before releasing Kizumonogatari was a good idea.
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:37 pm

So after I was disappointed (a little) in the Gatchman and (a lot) in the Servant x Service episodes from last week,I'm very glad both those delivered beautifully this week.

Servant x Service episode 11: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Miyoshi goes for a walk and lays waste to everyone she meets.

Gatchaman episode 10: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Jou's comeback was so epic. And everyone fighting together! I think they're going to bring the situation under control and restore order and then Berg-Katze is really going to go nuts on them.

Silver Spoon episode 10: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: RIP Pork Bowl.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Gatchaman Crowds episode 10:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Heh, the discussions that Hajime and Berg-Katze have with each other are always so interesting, because of what's going on under the surface of them. And while Berg obviously finds her very fascinating indeed, she is also clearly making him quite angry at the same time... :pikka: (And I'm also intrigued as to why only Hajime in particular cannot see him even when he's not hiding...)

On a sidenote, whoa, we finally got to see Utsutsu transform! Also, I found it slightly amusing that the terrorists were still being called the Neo Hundred by both themselves and others when (according to ep. 9) there are in fact potentially tens of thousands of them :sweat: , but anyway their actions were certainly not amusing (...chaos, indeed :pikka: ).

Finally, the hero-comebacks of both Jou and Pai-Pai were awesome to see. :thumb:

(Oh, and BTW, the official OST was released a couple of weeks ago, and it's fantastic! :jump: )

Looking forward to the last two episodes!
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:33 am

The Eccentric Family episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well, I was not expecting Benten to save Yasaburo. :pikka: Can't believe he got caught again right after that, though... :sweat: But, to be fair, that *was* actually a really clever way of catching him (even if it did take the twins an entire year to come up with it :P ). Man, though, this episode had some really great tension. Oh, and also, Kaisei was really awesome getting Yashiro out of that warehouse (and the courtyard)-- and then the end of the ep. gave me goosebumps. :pikka: GAH, these cliffhangers...!

(Gotta say, though, that while I *was* pretty much expecting that Yashiro would go to Yajiro for help during the next episode and that Yajiro would rise to the occasion {oh my goodness that comeback is going to be so beautiful! :hug: }, that next-ep. preview was a *really* huge spoiler confirmation of that, LOL. :sweat: At least that helped to make the wait a bit easier for next week, though. :) )
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby ForeverInspired » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Dog and Scissors - Completed

Let's just say that that was really disappointing.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: This foccused way too much on the sensual side of things. When it would actually try to spend some time on the books, it did farely well. The opening when the main character risked his life and the author felt badly for a while was really interesting. This show so let me down. At most, I can give it a 5/10.
ForeverInspired

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Gatchaman Crowds episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I thought it was interesting (and rather sweet) how the first half of this ep. went back through certain scenes with each of the other Gatchaman members (finally) giving their personal thoughts about Hajime and how she broke each of them out of their respective shells (or birdcages, to use the show's term :) ) over them (even if that was a bit of a death flag... :sweat: ). Also revealed here was the fact that O.D. is actually 300 years old. :pikka:

And then the second half was great-- for one thing, LOL, that prime minister actually turned out to be pretty awesome once he got fired up a bit. :grin: And for another, the mood/plot twist at the end was excellent, too-- even though the main control of X was finally restored to Rui, what seemed like a perfect opportunity to finally get everyone plugged in to GALAX and working together for good as it was intended got masterfully hijacked into a disaster many times worse than before... because now the number of potential CROWDS users for Berg-Katze to manipulate has just gone from tens of thousands to somewhere between 100,000-150,000! :pikka:

And even with it appearing that O.D.'s powers will finally get put to use in the next ep., I *still* have no idea how they're going to beat Berg-Katze. :pikka:

Can't wait for the finale!!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Attack on Titan episode 24

Yes! Yes! Yes! That was great flashback and continuation. Poor Eren - the guy has so much pressure. I can't wait for the finale!
ForeverInspired

Postby ForeverInspired » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:47 am

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi ep 12 (complete)

O. My. Goodness.

That ending was superb. Overall, the series was very good (a few flaws here and there with storytelling). For me, it was one of the best of the season so far. Let me just say, I knew it was going to end like that! I knew it! I knew it! Alis forever!
ForeverInspired

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:33 pm

The Eccentric Family episode 12:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ha! That was some really nice thinking on Yashiro's part, there-- not only about having Yajiro drink to help kick off his transformation :grin: , but also about incorporating that engine. :thumb:

Also, ROTFL at the parts with the fan :lol: -- oh my gosh they were so perfect. :lol:

And oh man, the Fellows and the Tanuki ending up meeting in adjoining rooms... :pikka:

Can't wait for the finale!!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby skreyola » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I only have one more Silver Spoon to watch, and that makes me sad.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Vii » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:03 pm

skreyola wrote:I only have one more Silver Spoon to watch, and that makes me sad.

The second cour will be airing this winter season!
Vii

Postby skreyola » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Vii wrote:
skreyola wrote:I only have one more Silver Spoon to watch, and that makes me sad.

The second cour will be airing this winter season!

Yay!
Anime List
skreyola

Postby GeneD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

Got behind on commenting on stuff for a while.

Finished airing:
Blood Lad: It had pretty much the non-ending I was expecting but I thought the revelation (in one of the last few episodes) about Bell's mother to be really interesting and liked that fact that they referred to Fuyumi's dad as a hero for deciding to raise her on his own and putting his daughter's happiness first.

Silver Spoon: Great adaption overall and they picked a good place to end it.

TWGOK s3: This season might be my least favourite of this series but I'm not sure if that's just because I read that arc in the manga so recently or not.

Almost done:
Servant x Service ep 12: Well the "twist" was something everyone saw coming from the beginning of the series but I'm still hoping for a relatively strong ending. Even though Tohko is mostly a pain, I hope SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they finally tell her about her brother's relationship.

Gatchamaaaaaaaaaaan ep 11: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: While I usually don't like recaps much (who does?) it wasn't the worst one I've seen and at least it was only half an episode long. I think Berg-Katze has joined the ranks of my favourite villains, he's just so devious and dynamic it's hard not to be fascinated by him. I can't wait to see if his or Hajime's world view (people are inherently evil vs inherently good) will win the day. Also that got me thinking, the recap triggered some death flags for Hajime and maybe O.D. but I can't help but think that one person sacrificing themselves to beat the evil will also be against the people are good/everyone work together message. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The Eccentric Family ep 12: This ep was all kinds of awesome and then all kinds of angst. Magic fans and trains make the best combination.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Monogatari Second Season episode 12:

Whoa-- that was one heck of an opening sequence! :pikka: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Monogatari really does those teasers well, doesn't it? :) Can't wait to see how it gets to that point (and what happens afterwards, too). :thumb:

Also, it was great to see Ougi Oshino again, because she's really quite fascinating. (Plus her "getting the order all wrong"/saying that it's because Hachikuji can't be found/etc. comments had me quite intrigued, as well...)

And that end sequence with the massive snake... man, does this look like it's going to be good! (And, actually, this entire "Second Season" has been excellent so far.)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Gatchaman Crowds finale:

WHAT. THE... ?! O_____O

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Okay, well, this started out great-- Rui was hilarious and awesome once he got back his Note (those games... the "housewife" stuff... the awesome grandma... :grin: ), Hajime's conversation with Berg was interesting and surprising (her "will you go out with me" line literally made me laugh-shout "WHAAAAAT??!!!" at the screen in a voice loud enough for the entire house to hear, LOL :sweat: :grin: ), and O.D.'s showdown was nearly as awesome as I was expecting (minus the fact that it was way too short, and no super-planet-destroying stuff was in evidence, though that last bit might be because of where they were fighting).

...But then what the heck was up with that ending?! :pikka: First, they never confirm whether O.D. did actually die or not (though I'm pretty sure he did, since the last time we thought a character {Jou} was going to die {and he nearly did, too}, his Note was 'just' ripped out of his body when he was transformed, and this time O.D.'s Note was actually stabbed. :pikka: But there was like no fanfare or emotion about it at all-- he just collapsed, and then we never saw him again, and no one even said anything... :pikka: :( ). Second, they cut to the credits at a point which made me say "WHAT." again, because it seemed like the usual between-episodes cliffhanger, and I had been sure this was the last one. So then I was thinking, "Okay, must've been wrong and there's one more yet, that would make sense with everything they still have yet to wrap up--" and then the after-credits scene comes on, and it's suddenly a timeskip ("WHAT?!") and there's still nothing about O.D. ("WHAT?!" Didn't they at least have a funeral or something?) and not only did they *not* show the confrontation between Hajime and Berg ("WHAT?!"), but now Berg is somehow randomly trapped inside her chest ("WHAT??!!!" I mean, did the MESS aliens somehow help out with that?? But *how*, even???)-- not to mention the other things that were never explained. ...I just can't. :pikka:

(EDIT: Okay, found this post which helps a bit, but that should still have all been actually explained within the show, and my points still stand.)

They *really* needed another episode to work with... :sweat: I mean, I still loved this series; but that ending, seriously, what the heck. :pikka:

(And EDIT again: So a bunch of stuff was cut for length and another version of the finale will eventually be released? That's great and all-- and I do genuinely hope it redeems it-- but if that's the case, then it should've just been the original version from the beginning... :P)
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby ForeverInspired » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:57 pm

^I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling this way. I tried looking all over for an explanation just in case I missed something. Yet, I've learned that none exists. If they don't make another season, this would have to be one of the most disappointing endings for a promising show that worked so hard throughout the episodes.
Last edited by ForeverInspired on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForeverInspired

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Love Lab was great, may it rest in peace since its sales aren't going to get it another sequel
blkmage

Postby skreyola » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:23 pm

GeneD wrote:Got behind on commenting on stuff for a while.
Silver Spoon: Great adaption overall and they picked a good place to end it.

Almost done:
Servant x Service ep 12: Well the "twist" was something everyone saw coming from the beginning of the series but I'm still hoping for a relatively strong ending. Even though Tohko is mostly a pain, I hope SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they finally tell her about her brother's relationship.

Re: SS - You're right. It was a great place to have all the stuff they put in that episode. Good, sensible break.

Re: SxS - I didn't see it coming, but I was not at all surprised by it. I knew it was a possibility, but I hadn't planted any stock in that idea.
I am surprised Chihaya keeps SPOILER: Highlight text to read: getting close and then not telling her.
Did you see any familiar outfits in Chihaya's room? I see a Tokiwadai Seifuku and what might be Menma's dress.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I was paying attention to the last line of the episode because of the saba quiz from the previous episode and it was excellent.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 「リア充爆発しろ」
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:42 am

skreyola wrote:Did you see any familiar outfits in Chihaya's room? I see a Tokiwadai Seifuku and what might be Menma's dress.

There was also an Attack on Titan recon corps outfit.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am

...Okay, now I just found another post saying that, supposedly, there *was* a bunch of stuff cut out of Gatchaman Crowds' last ep. due to length. (?!) Great. :eyeroll: So now we have to wait for the Blu-Ray version or an OVA or something, just to see what should have already been in the show in the first place... :?: This better be worth it, because I loved the series until those "WHAT"-inducing last few minutes, and I really want it to have a great (and proper) ending.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:52 am

GeneD wrote:
skreyola wrote:Did you see any familiar outfits in Chihaya's room? I see a Tokiwadai Seifuku and what might be Menma's dress.

There was also an Attack on Titan recon corps outfit.

L to R: railgun, monogatari, attack on titan, anohana, prisma illya
blkmage

Postby LastLfan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:53 am

Dog and scissors, done, just started going home club
LastLfan

Postby GeneD » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:38 am

Servant x Service end: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well they stayed true to the show with an open-ended, everything continues kind of ending. Lucy and Hasebe were suitably cute and their friends rescuing them from all the interruptions was hilarious. And yay he finally got her email! Overall it was an unexpectedly fun show for me with a few hiccups I like to pretend don't exist.

Danganronpa end: Well I guess it was fine although the whole mystery of the school plot got a bit away from me.

Gatchaman Crowds end: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I believe MangaRocks! covered all the "what the heck is this ending" type stuff, so I'll just say that I liked Rui's solution to the Crowds problem and it fit beautifully with the themes of the show. O.D you are the best and no, you're totally not dead because Utsu-tsu magicked you better I just know it. I'd have liked to see more of his power though but oh well. I also hope there is some sort of continuation to wrap it all up properly.

The Eccentric Family end: Perfect. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Angry and probably drunk tengu saves the day! Yajirou's reunion with his mom was really moving and Kaisei and Yasaburou were freaking adorable. I'm really glad no one was eaten and my only wish is that their uncle got some kind of comeuppance for what he did.

Show rating: Free! = Gatchaman = Eccentric Family > AoT = Senyuu 2 > Servant x Service > Silver Spoon > TWGOK 3 > Danganronpa = Blood Lad

Favourite OP: Free!
Honourable mentions: Gatchaman, Servant x Service, AoT, Eccentric Family
favourite ED: Free!
Honourable mentions: Senyuu 2, AoT, Silver Spoon

Least favourite OP: Silver Spoon, man I hated that thing. The visuals were fine and even the song on its own wasn't bad, but didn't fit the series at all.
Least favourite ED: Blood Lad
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:05 pm

The Eccentric Family finale:

Now *that* was fantastic! :jump:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hahaha, I loved how they ended up crashing each others' parties and everything just devolved into chaos. :grin: And I loved how Hotei was the one to save their mom, complete with a hilarious self-proclaimed "complete about-face" of ideology, bwahaha. :lol: Also oh my gosh the sensei was hilariously awesome. And the phone call with Yajiro was so moving that it had me tearing up again. And the Yasaburo/Kaisei stuff was sweet. And the end was just so beautifully happy! :hug:

This was a wonderful series, and my favorite of the season, no contest!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:46 pm

uchouten kazoku: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: good end, kaisei the cutest
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Moving my discussion of Monogatari Second Season to the general watching thread now so that the rest of this thread isn't just taken up by me spamming my thoughts on it, LOL... :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:38 pm

I think that's the first time I've heard Hanakana do that voice.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews