Suisei no Gargantia [翠星のガルガンティア]

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Suisei no Gargantia [翠星のガルガンティア]

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue May 21, 2013 12:29 pm

GeneD wrote:I wonder about this every time it's mentioned and then forget to ask, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: why does he keep wanting to triangulate his position/coordinates? If he knows he's on Earth, shouldn't he also know at least his rough relative position in the solar system/galaxy? Or is it the case that Earth is mostly a myth to the Alliance and they have almost no info on it?

Well, I think it's safe to assume that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the soldiers were never given Earth's coordinates :) -- and, IIRC, Ledo did indeed think Earth was a myth, so yeah, he at least didn't even believe it existed, no less know where it was. :) And thus, he wants to find out where exactly in the galaxy he is, so that he can get back to his people (which is what he's been intending to do all along).

GeneD wrote:MangaRocks, interesting theory. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: If he is in the past and the cause of the war, but doesn't start it because he's growing to be a better person or whatnot, there's going to be a paradox that'll need to be resolved somehow. Also, if a war is started, I don't see how the humans could actually survive due to the sheer number of Whale-Squids, or reach their "future" level of technology, even using Chamber as a blue-print.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Though I'll note that writers seem to always find a way around paradoxes in time-travel stories ;) , you do have a point there (especially about the rest of the humans even surviving that); and, in fact, as I've thought about it some more, him traveling to the *future* would actually be even more plausible at the moment. First, going back to the coordinates thing again, time-travel of any sort (backwards or forwards) would make it a lot harder for Chamber to pinpoint where they are (which does indeed seem to be occurring). Plus, when I also figure in what I remember hearing about some interview with Urobuchi-sensei where (IIRC) he said that he wanted this to be different than his usual style and be a bit more hopeful and such-- and taking him on his word there and assuming that's not a total troll :grin: -- it would also make more sense for it to be the future, because obviously there *is* no war with the Hideauze (at least on Earth or anywhere near it) at the moment, and if he does indeed want it to be different than his usual dark twistiness, then he wouldn't pull the thing I originally thought he might with the protagonist actually starting the whole mess (past), and also probably wouldn't have Ledo go back to the war (present).

...And now I'm *really* eager to find out what they're going to discover on that inevitable treasure-hunting expedition...
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Ledo's been slowly tanning. >w<

Vii

Postby KazeShiki » Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:Well, I think it's safe to assume that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the soldiers were never given Earth's coordinates :) -- and, IIRC, Ledo did indeed think Earth was a myth, so yeah, he at least didn't even believe it existed, no less know where it was. :) And thus, he wants to find out where exactly in the galaxy he is, so that he can get back to his people (which is what he's been intending to do all along).

I viewed it more like SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they're so far in deep space and the future that Earth is a myth even among the "higher ranks." That is, it's not that soldiers aren't given Earth's coordinates but rather no one even has records of it anymore.
MangaRocks! wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I remember hearing about some interview with Urobuchi-sensei where (IIRC) he said that he wanted this to be different than his usual style and be a bit more hopeful and such-- and taking him on his word there and assuming that's not a total troll

Yeah well he says that with every work so take it with a grain of salt. Though honestly it's not so much him trolling but more like his writing habitually ends up taking a turn for the worse :lol:
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby spark300c » Sun May 26, 2013 11:42 am

for this time travel is not need since alot of time has pass. likely more history will be revealed.
spark300c

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun May 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Episode 8:

Ah-- I'd been wondering if they were going to address the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: time it takes for messages to travel through space... and they did! :thumb: (Also, I guess that clears up any issues about Ledo having to return to the Alliance if he indeed stayed in the present. :thumb: )

The quiet moments in this episode (of which there were many) were really well-done, too. (Man, this series is good! :jump: )

Can't wait to find out what they discover! :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Sun May 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Good episode. Interesting funeral traditions.
Vii

Postby blkmage » Sun May 26, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm glad that, barring the show lying, it's seemed to close the door on a number of things I was worried might happen.
blkmage

Postby DarkNozomi » Thu May 30, 2013 1:06 am

Uugh we need more fighting in this show. We've had what, one good fight with pirates? Ledo and Chamber should have slaughtered those Hidiazu last episode.

I considered adding spoiler tags, but for the life of me I can't think of anything at possible risk of being spoiled. Nothing is happening. I'm throwing all my eggs in the basket for an awesome, all out battle in the final episode. The pirates and Hidiazu and a yet-unnamed third enemy, versus Ledo and Chamber..
DarkNozomi

Postby Vii » Thu May 30, 2013 8:01 am

"Nothing is happening" because this isn't the show you want it to be. It's a story of a shipwrecked boy from a different world learning to fit in and find a place in a world unknown to him. Sure, he has a mecha, but this is NOT an epic mecha battle story about slaughtering everything that the MC thinks is an enemy. There is no place on Gargantia for fighting when living peacefully is an option. That is how their culture works. If mega awsum battlez are the only reason you're watching, I suspect you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Vii

Postby Vii » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Episode 9: This episode was about the MC slaughtering all the enemies. Point taken.

But the things revealed in this episode...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I had a pretty good hunch that the Hideauze/Whalesquid weren't enemies, but never would have guessed they were the result of human experiments, and to a large extent are human. Much more sci-fi-ish than I thought it would be.

CHAMBER DON'T KILL THE PRETTY SQUID-PERSON. ಠ_ಠ
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Episode 9:

...HOLY. CRAP. :wow!:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Well, that was... disturbing. :pikka: I mean, I kinda figured that the Hideauze had been genetically engineered by the humans at one point and then just went rogue or something, but to think that most-- if not all-- of them were actually humans themselves...! :pikka: And then... that ending... that poor girl... :?: :?:

Urobuchi-sensei strikes again! :pikka:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:16 am

Episode 10: Existential crisis. Oh no...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Leading to Chamber reasoning that fighting the Hideauze is necessary because civilization mumbo jumbo.

lol at the crying whalesquid babies. That was just too much.

The commander guy survived?! Maaan, that negates the whole sacrifice thing in the first episode.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Episode 10:

Well, after last week's ep., I was fully expecting to see SPOILER: Highlight text to read: both poor Ledo's shock/mind-break/etc. as well as Chamber's 'opinion' about the whole thing. And Pinion did seem to be pretty much just a stupid jerk at his core anyway, so his actions here were not a surprise, either. :P But, I do have to admit, I was *not* expecting SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that commander to show up again-- especially on Earth. :pikka: Can't wait to see what will happen next!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Ledo's reaction is out of character but I think Chamber's talk salvaged the twist for me.

Of course, now there's another dumb thing about to happen.
blkmage

Postby KazeShiki » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Between Ledo's reaction and the ending, I don't like where this is going. At this point, I'll just wait to see whether people will call it suffering or not.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Episode 11:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I knew that something was, er, fishy (...sorry, I just couldn't resist :grin: ) with that commander the moment he appeared again at the end of the previous ep., and this episode made me even more suspicious. I'm really curious as to what is going on (other than trying to kill any remaining Hideauze, I mean-- there seems to be something bigger going on here)...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Episode 12: Whoa.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Rad hairstyle you got there, Pinion.

I'd heard some people guess that the commander wasn't actually alive, so I was prepared for that one (Though not his head crumbling off. That was slightly disturbing.)
Neat fight overall.

My guess is that Gargantia will be saved in the end.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Episode 12:

...You know, the funny thing is, last week I actually considered putting into my post a theory that had crossed my mind SPOILER: Highlight text to read: about the commander being dead and his robot just making all that stuff up on its own, for whatever reason-- it seemed logical, considering that it looked like the commander was indeed done for in the beginning of the series anyway + all that suspicious behavior, and it also seemed more likely than the possible (but in the end not utilized) time-travel theories I had previously mentioned-- but, in the end, I didn't leave it in the post. Considering that this theory actually turned out to be right, though, now I wish I had, LOL. :grin:

Anyway, yeah, I wasn't expecting him to actually decompose right in front of poor Ledo, though. :sweat: (And LOL, I agree on Pinion's hair. :grin: )

All in all, that was a pretty satisfying rebellion :thumb: , and an excellent fight between the robots, as well. Looking forward to seeing the end of the fight, the big reunion, what's up with that golden key, and a (hopefully) great conclusion next week! :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:11 pm

I am pleased with how these developments unfolded.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Thank goodness this is such a short show because I bet in a longer show, there would've been a lot more waffling about what to do.

Unfortunately, this spells the end of Chamber x Striker.
blkmage

Postby Vii » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:46 am

Winners for the Gargantia character design contest, who will be inserted as background characters in the final episode. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-24/gargantia-character-design-contest-winners-unveiled
Vii

Postby GeneD » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm

MangaRocks! you are totally allowed to say you called it even if you didn't post 'cause that's what I'm doing. Even if I didn't post and none of you believe me/care, I totally called the twist.

I agree with blkmage about the length of the show, I wouldn't have been able to take many more episodes where SPOILER: Highlight text to read: eveyone but pirate queen, who is the smartest, or at least the most savvy character in the entire show, not cluing in that cult colony is a bad idea.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 pm

^ LOL, thanks-- I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

On a sidenote, I also have to post this: Fanmade LEGO Chamber!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Was on the edge of my seat for most of the episode. Great finale.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "GO TO HELL TIN CAN." Chamber, Chamber, Chamber...;_;

Overall, I really enjoyed this series. The opening and ending episodes were fantastic, though the middle was rather choppy at times. I think it would have benefited from removing that first fanservice episode and using the extra slot further on when the story required more build up, but eh, I doubt that would have fixed the entire show.

Scores an 8/10 for now I think.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Finale:
Oh my gosh, Chamber was awesome!! :lol: :jump: :hug: :sniffle:

In terms of Urobuchi-show endings (well, of the ones I've seen of his, anyway :) ), this was a *WAY* more satisfying ending than Psycho-Pass, and actually SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (minus the sacrifice of Chamber) the happiest one I've seen, as well-- far happier-feeling than the ending of Madoka, for example, even though that was still a very 'good' ending. :) Guess that interview was truthful after all! ;)

In all, excellent show with an excellent close (IMO). :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:49 am

yes that did not disappoint me, good job

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: RIP brobot
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 pm

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: What?! No! This is terrible. All of you are terrible for liking this episode. *GeneD is not taking the death of Chamber well.*

Whoever gave Ledo that shirt needs to be shot, it's awful. In the end I think it dropped below Maou-sama in the season ranking for me, but it was a cool show overall.
GeneD

Postby DarkNozomi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Pft, guess there's no chance now for a season 2 :(
DarkNozomi

Postby Falx » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:14 am

So the extra episode included in the final BluRay volume is out.

I thought it was a nice little interlude, didn't add much to the story but it give a certain character some development and a glimpse into Gargantia's past.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:34 pm

^ Apparently there's another special coming after this yet, as well. :)

And yeah, this was a nice watch.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Episode 15 (OVA #2):

This ep. was actually completely Kugel-focused, and explained SPOILER: Highlight text to read: both his actions (and eventual demise) on Earth as well as how that cult formed. This should definitely have been placed into the main series, IMO; but I am glad that it was at least released in some format. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews