Shingeki no Kyojin: WHEN THE TITANS ATTACK

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Shingeki no Kyojin: WHEN THE TITANS ATTACK

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:59 pm

THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS

Humanity is on the brink of destruction. The last remaining humans have been pushed back to a small country surrounded by three massive walls designed to keep out massive Titans, gigantic creatures bent on humanity's destruction. They need not food or water, and their sole purpose seems to be an effort to crush our race into extinction. However, a small hope, a fool's hope, remains.

Humanity has not been completely idle in its time hiding behind the massive walls. Humanity's military, composed of the Scouting Legion, the Garrison, and the Royal Guard, have been developing means to slay these colossal monsters.A titan can only be slain if it is cut in the nape of the neck, and will otherwise regenerate if it is damaged. In order to allow its soldiers to attack this weak spot, the military has developed the Three-Dimensional Movement Gear, a series of ropes that allow a skilled soldier to fly through the air and attack the weak spot of a titan. However, when I said this was a fool's hope...

No hero's death awaits a member of the Scouting Legion. For over a century humanity has tried to fight the titans and remain alive only because of their gigantic wall. There is no glorious banquet of celebration waiting for the military when they return, only the consolation that it was their friend that was torn in half before being swallowed instead. Yet still, they hold onto their fool's hope of one day liberating humanity from this monstrous oppression.

Basically show of the year and it hasn't started yet. If you're skeptical because I've only posted manga and pixiv art, uh, go watch the trailer and if you don't want to see this, well, have fun not enjoying the anime of the season?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin: WHEN THE TITANS ATTACK

Postby goldenspines » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:28 pm

.....you are probably going to drive off people by choosing the picture where humans are being eaten. :I

Anywho, after Tempest, you're on a roll with picking the good anime of the season. I'll be following this one and hope for the best!
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:51 pm

It's exactly what everyone wanted.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Guys giants are really freaking scary.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Vii » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Giants are scary.
Vii

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 pm

This is good news. My only concern is that an anime would catch up to the manga really fast if the pacing was at all reasonable.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:37 am

Well, the first episode covered the first chapter. Apparently this is supposed to be two cours, so I hope they have some sort of ending place in mind.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:20 am

So if I haven't read the manga but it's on my to-read list, should I bother starting now or wait to see where the anime goes?

(I have read the first chapter, which ends with the hand on the wall.)
GeneD

Postby DarkNozomi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:02 pm

I almost passed on this series when ANN gave it extremely high ratings, but I'm glad I watched it... the level of creepyness is sufficiently high, and the storyline gets 10/10 for originality. Aside from the kind of wonky style of animation (which you forget about five minutes into the thing), this is a definite contender for top series of the season. I haven't seen much from Wit Studio before, they should flex their creativity more often.
DarkNozomi

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Just in case someone hasn't already heard, or was hoping for a legit source:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby GeneD » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am

Oh my goodness, I am never going to be able to see the OP in the same way again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DHCLjuOzXY Seriously love the song still.
GeneD

Postby Nycko » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 am

GeneD wrote:Oh my goodness, I am never going to be able to see the OP in the same way again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DHCLjuOzXY Seriously love the song still.

This right here :D Cannot un-see...
Nycko

Postby Crossfire » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 pm

It might be a bit premature to say this, but Shingeki no Kyojin looks like it's shaping up to be the best anime of 2013. Good animation? Check. Epic soundtrack? Check. Interesting and original story? You bet.

Bring on episode 4.
Crossfire

Postby Nycko » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 am

It wouldn't really be a shock if this was one the top, it's a bit early to just call it the AotS. I just hope everyone isn't going to over glorifying it (like SAO). The story itself would have been amazing accept for one detail about Eren (I'm up to date with the manga, if you read it, you know what I'm talking about), but its still pretty good. Of course this might not be bother you as much as it did me. Definitely will watch til the end.

Crossfire wrote: Good animation? Check. Epic soundtrack? Check. Interesting and original story? You bet.

Bring on episode 4.

Yeah, the animation is amazing, especially when they use scenes with 3DMG, or the multiaxial in the anime. Agreed with epic OSTs.
Nycko

Postby Crossfire » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:29 am

Episode 4. Ohmanohmanohmanohman

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "Humanity's counterattack begins now!"

*a wild titan appears*

NOPE.jpeg
Crossfire

Postby GeneD » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 pm

So I've reached basically this exact same spot in the manga, end of chapter 3, and I think the overall flow of the story has been better in the anime. I found the part between the first wall breach and the graduation to be quite disjointed in the manga and I don't know if I'd have been able to follow what was happening as well as I did without having seen the anime episodes too.

Incidentally, the soundtrack is amazing.
GeneD

Postby Vii » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Cliffhangers. щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

In other news, since when is this show so hilarious?
Vii

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 am

ravioli (◍˘◡˘◍)
blkmage

Postby DarkNozomi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 am

And the award for best episode-ending cliffhanger of the season has officially been decided...
DarkNozomi

Postby DJ_Zephyr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Just watched the first three (can't afford Funimation premium), and this looks like a pretty solid series. Makes me think Shadow of the Colossus meets Just Cause 2. With this semester done, I'll definitely be following this one- summer classes are only part-time, so even then it shouldn't be hard to follow.

MomentOfInertia wrote:Just in case someone hasn't already heard, or was hoping for a legit source:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

Ooh, forgot about C-Roll! I have them to thank for SAO, will definitely check them out again.
DJ_Zephyr

Postby GeneD » Sun May 05, 2013 7:10 am

This episode... This is the part of the mange where I got completely hooked.

I still think the anime does the action so much more justice than the manga, however the flashbacks and history lessons are easier to handle in the manga since you can just fly through them and get back to the battle quickly.
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Sun May 05, 2013 12:16 pm

This is one of those instances where the medium affect the response. In the manga, you read it and go what and go back and make sure you read what you just read correctly. In the anime, you're watching things happen as fast as they do to the characters, which is a different kind of shock.
blkmage

Postby Vii » Sun May 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Good gravy this episode was stressful.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Eren had better survive. The fact that he just lost both an arm and a leg makes me want to know how he'll fight in the future.

Unless this is all a dream in which case COP OUT.
Vii

Postby Crossfire » Sun May 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Warning: SUPER ULTRA MEGA SPOILORZ AHEAD (Happy?)

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Don't worry, he lives. Get ready for some crazy hijinks in upcoming episodes.
Last edited by Crossfire on Sun May 05, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossfire

Postby blkmage » Sun May 05, 2013 2:45 pm

why would you spoil that, even in spoiler tags
blkmage

Postby Vii » Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Good thing I didn't read it.
Vii

Postby DarkNozomi » Mon May 06, 2013 7:32 am

Hmm, if you play it back in slow motion, you see what actually happened. So, I'm not sad :)
DarkNozomi

Postby blkmage » Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 am

blkmage

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Mon May 06, 2013 11:30 am

OMG this anime is amazing (it took about five minutes of thinking for me to realize there was no way to truley represent how much I am absolutley loving this anime right now without spamming my keyboard for three lines of text, face rolling for two more and adding a couple hundred exclamation marks, so this will have to do) Like it's been said: wonderful animation (Which I have to view at like 480p with horrible screen tearing because I don't have accounts on sites with HD viewing *depressed*), Great characters with likable and dislikable attributes but always someone you want to see grow and a plot that leaves you wondering if this is an anime or greek tragedy.

Vii wrote:Good gravy this episode was stressful.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Eren had better survive. The fact that he just lost both an arm and a leg makes me want to know how he'll fight in the future.

Unless this is all a dream in which case COP OUT.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm never ever, four-ever, for killing a main character but it has been done to further a story line, although usually not this early in a series. I would say what I think will happen, and I'm notoriousley spot on at times, but I think Spoiler quotes are great for posting what has happened to make a reference to it not for putting random fan guesses into how the plot will unfold so I'll wont say. obviousley I was thinking of every possible ending and way out of it but I won't go into it. Altogether this is an amazing anime.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby GeneD » Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm sure random fan guesses, in spoiler tags or not, are perfectly fine, and in fact makes discussion more interesting. Those of us who've read the manga just need to be careful to not get ahead of the anime, since it wouldn't be fair to everyone else.

Also seriously, if you're not reading the manga make sure to do your best to avoid spoilers, even if you think looking up something on a wiki for example will be harmless, just don't do it, unless you're one of those people who really don't mind spoilers.
GeneD

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews