Shingeki no Kyojin: WHEN THE TITANS ATTACK

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin: WHEN THE TITANS ATTACK

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Crossfire wrote:I think I like the new opening better than the first.

Whaa...? Ah, well. To each his own. I definitely liked the first one better, and now I miss it. :sniffle:

That said, why on earth am I watching this show? I know I've beat that horse beyond the grave, but seriously. This is not my type of show at all, and I would've thought I'd drop it by halfway through the first episode. But here I am, impatiently waiting for ep. 16. Weird...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Armin is the best...ever. If they kill him, I'm going to have to murder someone. I've spent every episode so far waiting for that inevitable moment, and the suspense is starting to kill me.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Vii » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Episode 16:

Loooove the music.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The scene with the new scouting legion members staying behind was wonderfully done

Marcoooo~
T-they imagined him in a scouting legion cloak. ╥﹏╥
Vii

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 am

17 - SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Armin gets to continue being cooler every time. It's when he reaches the peak of that coolness; that's when they'll kill him. Seriously, though. He's totally taking courage to another level. Also, Reiner gave me a heart-attack. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. Have to admit I have an idea who this Titan is, though what she wants with Eren is still a mystery to me.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Claec wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: what she wants with Eren is still a mystery to me.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I can think of a few obvious things I'd want with Eren.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby GeneD » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:42 pm

I must say, even knowing what's going to happen, this was a particularly riveting episode and they handled the explanation of the scouting formation beautifully. Also, that spider-like Titan is the stuff of nightmares and Armin continues to be the best. I really like Jean too though, he's gotten a huge amount of character development in, more so than anyone else I'd say.
GeneD

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:46 pm

FllMtl Novelist wrote:
Claec wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: what she wants with Eren is still a mystery to me.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I can think of a few obvious things I'd want with Eren.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yes, well, that's because you're a creeper. ;)

ClaecElric4God

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:38 am

Even if you're wrong about the female titan's identity, I think it's pretty obvious why the titans want Eren considering the massive slaughter he caused at Trost in his titan form.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:56 am

Oh, yeah. That's very true. Duh, Claec. You're such an idiot.

ClaecElric4God

Postby Vilo159 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Oh, hey look, a thread with people I can talk about this with! Hi!

Well, I'm just gonna jump right in here.

Ep. 17- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: That battle formation explanation was done splendidly, Jean just gets cooler and cooler, Reinar is a boss, I have no idea what Armin was talking about when he was distracting the titan, and that thing totally looked like a blonde Mikasa to me, but that can't be right.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And regarding why they want Eren, I'm not yet sure it's a "they". Eren's power at Trost doesn't seem like it would matter, I think he's wanted more for who he is and the nature of his ability. But for what purpose and by whom is still a huge question mark for me.
Vilo159

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:13 am

Chapter 48, guys. Chapter 48.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Even though it's all implication instead of explanation, this chapter gives quite a bit of information. I was hoping that the titans started out as titans and transformed the other way, but while this method is a little more conventional, it could still go interesting places. It also seems to me that we have an implied conflict between two groups possibly using the same technology: the wall creators using titans for construction material and those aligned with that furred titan.

I know everyone else has probably found favorite characters long ago, but I've been relatively neutral about almost everyone. Mikasa definitely redeemed her archetype in this chapter for me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Vii » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Episode 18:

Episode 19:
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: OH YES THE SPOON THING. Couldn't wait to see that animated.
Loved watching Hanji go crazy over Eren's arm.

And dang, I forgot that the Female Titan got stopped like that. Took me by surprise.
Vii

Postby Vii » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Episode 21: Nonononononononononooooo ;_;
Vii

Postby GeneD » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:34 am

Random thoughts about/during episode 21:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Is it just me or does Levi look a bit hung over all the time?

Directed at Eren: She's got one eye and no use of her arms, why is it so hard to beat her?!

You know that thing in anime where someone achieves a victory and looks back on/at all their friends who helped them/are all around having just contributed to said victory? This episodes is the complete and utter, heart-rending antithesis of that. Which I guess is *nice* if you're looking for something different but, man, it's painful to watch. I have a few pixiv art pieces of Levi's group circling on my desktop and every time I see one it's like no, I love you guys, come back!

At the end I was kinda laughing at the thought of what would happen if, when all this is over and they're still alive, Eren gets a girlfriend that isn't Mikasa.
GeneD

Postby ForeverInspired » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:39 am

Episode 21's ending was crazy...

I was like: :shady: :o :( :wow!: :shake: :dizzy: :eyebrow: :forehead: :?: :jump:
ForeverInspired

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:13 pm

So I'm only on episode 13 of this series so far and..yeah.

I love it, absolutely positively love it. I can't stop watching it. But, there is one thing that bothers me. How is this show considered shoenen? Yes, I understand it has the right elements with the giant creatures, lots of jumping, swords, epic transformations. But, this is by far the darkest, grittiest shoenen anime I have ever seen. Perhaps others can bring up some other examples of shoenen mangas/shows that matched it, but I haven't.

I've seen a few people try to claim this show is the "Game of Thrones" of anime, which is a rather silly analysis. In Game of Thrones, there are no clear cut good guys. In Attack on Titan, it's pretty clear cut. Yes there are bad humans but overall humans are considered good.

That all being said, I'm on a mad marathon through this series, so I hope I'll be able to catch up with everyone soon.
Yamamaya

Postby Vii » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Yamamaya wrote:I love it, absolutely positively love it. I can't stop watching it. But, there is one thing that bothers me. How is this show considered shoenen? Yes, I understand it has the right elements with the giant creatures, lots of jumping, swords, epic transformations. But, this is by far the darkest, grittiest shoenen anime I have ever seen. Perhaps others can bring up some other examples of shoenen mangas/shows that matched it, but I haven't.

It's considered shonen because the manga is published in Bessatsu, a shonen magazine. Death Note, for example, is technically shonen because it was run in Shonen Jump. I think Claymore is also a dark and gritty series that is a shonen because of the magazine it was run in, though I don't really know much about it.
Vii

Postby Vii » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Episode 22. Somber. Very somber.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: How does Levi spin like that holy cow.

Why would you take time to collect the bodies?! Prioritize getting back to safety darnit. I'm pretty sure these scenes were at least partially used to buy time to end the episode where it did, since they weren't in the manga. Not that I mind though, it gave Jean, Armin, Sasha, and Connie some more screentime.

PETRA ;_;
Vii

Postby GeneD » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:28 am

Vii wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm pretty sure these scenes were at least partially used to buy time to end the episode where it did, since they weren't in the manga.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yeah, I was confused for a bit trying to remember if that happened in the manga or not.

Levi basically single handedly successfully executes the exact same strategy his whole team failed and died for last episode. T_T I honestly don't see why he and Mikasa couldn't have somehow gotten the female titan human out though. Maybe if they'd shown Levi's foot injury as a bigger/specific disadvantage to his speed...
GeneD

Postby Vilo159 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Ep. 22: http://31.media.tumblr.com/15059eff8626be843678fb0e70a11cad/tumblr_mlirgg3LVI1s3c4xeo1_500.jpg

But seriously, that was a good episode. Doesn't matter if it was all filler, it was awesome. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Levi's fighting is just so fun to watch. That response time was incredible.

And holy cow, Petra's dad. ;-;

In summary: Can nothing go right for these people?
Vilo159

Postby Crossfire » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:12 pm

How does Levi not get dizzy after those moves? The guy isn't human.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: They had a chance to kill [name withdrawn] the female titan, but of course they didn't take the opportunity. Sometimes I hate plot armour.
Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Crossfire wrote:blah blah blah Levi blah blah blah? The guy isn't human.

You just answered your own question there.

Anyways, my thoughts on the last two eps.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Sadness. Inevitable, unavoidable, realistic. But still, very sad. Levi's team was like...my favorite Survey Corps team. Erd... Yeah, they definitely like making you feel every possible horrible awful feeling these people are going through. Though the show's ability to convey emotion so brilliantly is one thing I like about it.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh, wait. Are we supposed to feel bad for her now, because she was crying at the end? I mean, it's not like she just mercilessly murdered a bunch of people very gruesomely. It's just super sad that she wasn't able to capture Eren and she got hurt so bad. The poor thing...

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Levi's one-sided fight with the Titan was incredibly epic. I love this guy. And Eren's fight, even though he failed miserably in the end and got uncermoniously eaten, was also very cool to watch. It was satisfying to see a little bit of retaliation going on there, after all those people tried so hard and still got killed. Vengeance, ftw!

ClaecElric4God

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Gosh dang, this episode...trying very very hard not to read the manga. I want the last three episodes to surprise me, even though I am already aware of one spoiler.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: This entire episode was emotionally scarring. They tried so hard, and yet came back with nothing. Every single thing the characters achieve seems hollow no matter what. Even their victory at Trost seems hollow now. I really really hope someone tears up the Female Titan. The suspense and dread in each episode is tearing me apart.
Yamamaya

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Episode 21 had all the action with some emotion at the end while 22 had all the emotion (and the opening was a great action sequence).
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Someone dismember that crazy woman titan already! I know - I know. Even though she is inhuman, I have to just say: SHE'S INHUMAN!
ForeverInspired

Postby Crossfire » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:38 pm

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The freaking ring had a spring-loaded nail?!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

WHY CAN'T YOU DIE, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ANNIE, JUST DIE ALREADY
Crossfire

Postby ForeverInspired » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:47 am

Episode 22's events seemed to jump forward in time some. To me, there wasn't really a smooth transition. Is it just me? I accept the fact that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Armin figured out who the titan was (it was sort of obvious to me) even though he barely had any proof besides Marco's gear and stated it quite suddenly (Also, you would think that he would show more signs of doubting her and struggling to cope with the fact that Annie would do such a thing over the past episodes). It's just that this plan seemed a little sudden. They're walking into walls with Eren wounded ... and then all of a sudden have a plan to take out Annie???? O.O

As much as I don't like "recap" episodes, I'm hoping that the next episode explains a little how it came to this. Maybe I'm one of the few, but it just felt too abrupt. Overall, it still was a good episode though.
ForeverInspired

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Hmm, yeah. While not surprising (I mean, who didn't see that coming?), that was definitely abrupt and a tad confusing.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I still can't figure out why Marco's gear was relevant to the whole issue. When did Annie have Marco's gear, and why did that somehow prove that she was a Titan? Of course, I was half asleep when I watched it, so I must've missed something. Someone help me...

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you, ForeverInspired. It was definitely abrupt.

ClaecElric4God

Postby Crossfire » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:15 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Hmm, yeah. While not surprising (I mean, who didn't see that coming?), that was definitely abrupt and a tad confusing.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I still can't figure out why Marco's gear was relevant to the whole issue. When did Annie have Marco's gear, and why did that somehow prove that she was a Titan? Of course, I was half asleep when I watched it, so I must've missed something. Someone help me...

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you, ForeverInspired. It was definitely abrupt.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Marco went missing during one of the battles, and nobody knew how he died (until now, obviously). So it definitely set off some alarms when Armin noticed that Annie suddenly showed up with Marco's gear.
Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:13 am

Hm, somehow I'm not as excited as I think I'm supposed to be at this point. Also, are they really going to wrap this up in one episode?

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Once again, Eren's being useless. *sigh* We need a new hero. *cough*Levi*cough* Seriously, though. The end of this episode just made me laugh. Everyone's in danger; people are getting killed; Eren finally remembers that the Female Titan killed a bunch of people he really liked; Eren gets mad; Eren turns into Rogue Titan; Eren roars and runs toward Annie, punching her into the dirt and roaring, looking incredibly angry and utterly invincible, giving the impression of "I am totally going to annihilate her because I hate her guts"; it's implied that this is going to be a one-sided fight because Eren is just so enraged and motivated. . . .Deja vu, anyone?
Needless to say, I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

ClaecElric4God

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Yeah, that was a fairly derp moment on Eren's part.
So the finale, Episode 25. I've read the manga, so I already know what's coming next.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was worried the ending was going to be rather anti-climatic, but they did it suitably well. They kept with the grim nature of the series while still adding in that glimmer of hope. Also, they did an excellent job of revealing the Titan face in the wall at the last second.
The Annie vs Eren fight was superb. Eren ripping Annie's head out was truly epic.

Now, I have to wait two more weeks for the manga chapter to come out. The manga right now seems to be barreling towards something huge, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a second season within a year or so.

All in all, Attack on Titan as an anime was a fantastic series. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but it was a massive improvement from the usual shoenen formula.

Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Don't worry, assuming the staff didn't die from the apparently insane production schedule, there'll likely be a second season given how much money it's printing.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews