From Up On Poppy Hill (Kokuriko-zaka Kara)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

From Up On Poppy Hill (Kokuriko-zaka Kara)

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Just finished watching "From Up On Poppy Hill", which was released a few weeks ago in the US. It's a collaboration between Hayao Miyazaki (who co-wrote the screenplay) and his son, Goro (who was the director).

For fans of Studio Ghibli, I would rate this as a must-see; for anime fans in general, you probably can wait for the DVD (if one comes along). Hardcore fans probably saw the fansub ages ago (the film was originally released in 2011).

I found the overall experience enjoyable; although I tend to be a "subtitles-only" viewer, I found the dub acceptable. I personally like slice-of-life, although some of the events in this movie push the limits of what the routine lives of Japanese people in 1963 Yokohama might be like. Still, I thought many of the more subtle themes nicely woven.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I can't give it a complete thumbs-up for everyone because of the way the denouement was handled.

Earlier Ghibli films of this type, particularly Whispers of the Heart and Only Yesterday, are superior, but this one was worth my time and money.
ClosetOtaku

Re: From Up On Poppy Hill (Kokuriko-zaka Kara)

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm

It's been released ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazon.com here I come
Hugo Bernhardt

Re: From Up On Poppy Hill (Kokuriko-zaka Kara)

Postby rocklobster » Fri May 31, 2013 6:08 am

Not for another month or so, actually. I can't wait!
rocklobster

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews