Funniest anime series

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Funniest anime series

Postby rocklobster » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 am

I've been rewatching Samurai Champloo and I was wondering what you folks think are the funniest anime shows to watch. Here's my picks:
Samurai Champloo--mostly because I just can't stop laughing at all the intentional anachronisms. From rapping samurai to a baseball game in the feudal era, this show is hilariously wrong.
Azumanga Daioh--do I even have to justify this pick?
Lucky Star--not as funny as Azumanga Daioh, but pretty close
most Tenchi Muyo series--just pick any scene where the girls fight. You're bound to laugh.
Ranma 1/2--if you don't laugh at least once per episode, you have no sense of humor.
Cowboy Bebop--it's not intended to be a straight-up comedy, but it still has its moments anyway.
Excel Saga--Excel may be the ditziest protagonist in anime history, but gosh darn it--we love her!
Slayers (all seasons)--seriously. This is one of the best parodies I've ever watched. If Mel Brooks decided to parody fantasy, it'd probably look like this.
rocklobster

Re: Funniest anime series

Postby goldenspines » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:32 am

Samurai Champloo is all fun and games until the end, which is beautiful. ;u; It's not a comedy, but the characters have some great chemistry together that makes for amusing situations. Not to mention it covers some Japanese history in exciting ways. XD;

But out of every anime I've ever watched, Nichijou is the one that NEVER failed to make me laugh continually through every episode.
goldenspines

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeah, Nichijou is the best. Crazy, crazy show.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Crossfire » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, add another tally for Nichijou. Though my heart probably lies with Full Metal Panic & Fumoffu. I guess it's the military setting that makes it for me.
Crossfire

Postby Atria35 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:53 am

rocklobster wrote:Samurai Champloo--mostly because I just can't stop laughing at all the intentional anachronisms. From rapping samurai to a baseball game in the feudal era, this show is hilariously wrong.

Actually, if you know your history, that isn't that much of an anachronism. Western states modernized a lot faster than in Japan. Japan's "Feudal Era" ended after the American Civil War (to give you some perspective on this), and during the show several major issues are referenced from that period, which means that the show likely takes place in the mid 1800's. Baseball was *officially* introduced into Japan just before 1880, but since there were American soldiers in Japan well before that it's highly probable that they formed impromptu baseball teams for entertainment. Which does mean that a baseball game in the feudal era isn't as outrageous as you seem to think.

//end history geekery

Anycase, the funniest anime I've ever seen was .... um.... I'll get back to you on this one.
Atria35

Postby Winry » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am

I haven't seen a lot of the anime already mentioned (except Samurai Champloo which does have its funny moments), but I'm going to have to say Ouran High School Host Club. I laugh quite a bit when I watch that one.
Winry

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Chalk one up for Nichijou.
Vilo159

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Winry wrote:I haven't seen a lot of the anime already mentioned (except Samurai Champloo which does have its funny moments), but I'm going to have to say Ouran High School Host Club. I laugh quite a bit when I watch that one.

Aw, you beat me to it.
Also, Fairy Tail. It's capable of being very serious and emotional, but it's also hilarious beyond reason at times.
And I'd have to say Kekkaishi and GetBackers.
Crossfire wrote:Though my heart probably lies with Full Metal Panic & Fumoffu.

Ah, yes. How could I forget those two. Fumoffu especially. Hilarity beyond reason. I love Sousuke!
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby CrystalChalice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 am

goldenspines wrote:But out of every anime I've ever watched, Nichijou is the one that NEVER failed to make me laugh continually through every episode.

Gotta agree with this.
CrystalChalice

Postby SierraLea » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:39 am

FMA Brotherhood can be an absoulte laugh fest, especially where height is concerned.
SierraLea

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

SierraLea wrote:FMA Brotherhood can be an absoulte laugh fest, especially where height is concerned.

I second this! And the original anime series, as well as manga, was like that too!

Hmm, let's see, what else?

Ramen Fighter Miki. This...is...so random and hilarious! So much can happen at a ramen resteraunt or when you leave for deliveries.
AnimeGirl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:02 pm

FMA/FMA: Brotherhood - This is a very serious story, but it's also one of the most hilarious I know. Arakawa-san has this knack for combining the funny and serious in a wonderful way, switching back and forth between the two so fast you'd think it wouldn't work...but it does. There's also a lot of hilarious stuff both animes added in.

Kodocha - This is such a crazy anime it's hilarious. I just about hyperventilated laughing when the normally-serious mother randomly started rapping in one episode :lol:

Lovely Complex - In every single episode, there were multiple points where I absolutely couldn't stop laughing, and they still get me every time even though I've seen it three times by now. The expressions are hilarious, the situations are wonderful, and everything is so over the top.

Baccano! - For stuff like this.

Trigun - Vash is ridiculous and gets into so many hilarious situations! I laughed out loud so many times while watching this. Admittedly, it gets significantly less funny in the second half of the show.

Clannad - I'm only ten episodes in, but so far I've laughed aloud in every single one, so if it keeps up this will definitely be one of the funniest I've ever seen. Again, it's because so many characters are completely over the top.

Also, this
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Vii » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Vii

Postby Zeldafan2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:20 am

Seconding Clannad. That series was absolutely HILARIOUS!
Zeldafan2

Postby SierraLea » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Lovely Complex was hilarious, even as a manga. (I haven't seen the anime yet)
SierraLea

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Alot of the anime that come to mind have been mentioned already but.

Azumangah Daioh
Getbackers
OHSHC
Trigun
Soul Eater...think i'm the only one who finds this funny X3
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby FreddyCast » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 pm

"My Bride is a Mermaid" is a funny comedic anime. It made me laugh in every episode.
ImageHebrews 13:2 Do not forget/neglect to entertain (show hospitality to) strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.
My Manga Story "The Fallen Rise"
GOD'S CREATION, THE FALL OF LUCIFER, & THE RISE OF THE MESSIAH Enter my Channel if you dare
ROMAN CATHOLIC MARIOLATRY Series
MY BLOG
FreddyCast

Location: Under Kris-tina's bed or hiding in Wolfsong's tree (you can't find me)

Postby Oddood198 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 pm

+1 to Nichijou. Almost finished with it, simply amazing.

Another one for Clannad, as well.
Oddood198

Postby SierraLea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Panda4christ:3 wrote:Alot of the anime that come to mind have been mentioned already but.

Azumangah Daioh
Getbackers
OHSHC
Trigun
Soul Eater...think i'm the only one who finds this funny X3

No, I find some of that one funny too.
SierraLea

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 am

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Tsuritama - it never fails to put a smile on my face.
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby River Moonlight » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:09 am

I always thought Ouran Host Club was pretty funny.
River Moonlight

Postby Vracer111 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Black Lagoon Omake - if you know the series and characters, these mini-episodes are funny...and messed up.

Dai-Guard... One of my most favorite comedies... English dub takes the cake.

Nichijou is pretty funny, I enjoyed it much more than Azumanga Daioh.

Patlabor: Minipato - If you know the TV series and enjoy geek/technical humor you will be rolling on the floor at these mini episodes...bundled in the special collectors edition of the Patlabor WXIII movie and totally worth the $5-8 bucks for picking up the collectors edition...

Ramen Fighter Miki/ Muteki Kanban Musume - physical comedy LOL's to the max... and when you have 'tough dude' Kankuro who add's "nya" to the end of his sayings the LOL's just are almost unbearable...like when he's cooking in the kitchen to help aleviate Miki's workload so he can challenge her and is just ripping through the orders finishing the dishes insanely quick with a "NYAAA!"...could not stop the tears and laughter...still can't every time I see it.

Samurai Champloo - such great chemistry between the characters.... great comedy in an action/adventure series.

Trigun...that Vash is something else...

Trava Fist Planet - off the wall insane comedy OVA about two aliens Trava and Shinkai which the movie Redline is actually a prequel for kind of...

You're Under Arrest... police comedy that is similar in feel to Patlabor TV series (squad comedy and the relationships within...)
Vracer111

Postby Falx » Mon May 13, 2013 11:35 pm

The Daily Lives of High School Boys is one of the funniest things to come out recently.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews