Anime where absolutely nothing is happening

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime where absolutely nothing is happening

Postby DarkNozomi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 pm

I don't understand these things... like, the series where the characters just go to school, come home, talk with friends... maybe a few good jokes or funny character quirks, but no real action, no clear plot, and just... it feels like I'm stalking random regular people!

I just take note of it because there seems to be a lot of these series this season. Is there any way to contact the creators and like, ask them to try harder???

Like, Tamako market for example. I was so psyched because I love the studio that produced it and there was all this hype and marketing for it, and the coolest thing we have is a (annoying) talking bird :( it had so much potential...
DarkNozomi

Re: Anime where absolutely nothing is happening

Postby Crossfire » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 pm

It's called "slice of life", and it certainly isn't a genre for everyone. If you don't like it, don't watch it- simple as that. I'm sure attempting to contact the producers won't change a thing, more so because we live in North America and our input is... minimal at best.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, I'd suggest trying out Uchyuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers" in English) before coming to a conclusion. I think it's one of the better shows of the genre in recent times, with decent amounts of comedy, suspense, and generally heart-warming encounters. It's not too over-the-top, and not completely grounded in reality either.
Crossfire

Postby goldenspines » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Slice of life goal: CHARACTERS. DOING STUFF. HAVING FUN. MAKING FRIENDS.

That's bad right because nothing is blowing up or no one is fighting/dying for FREEDOM and JUSTICE. (go watch some Gurren Lagann of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for some of that awesome action). It seems that your anime watching has consisted mostly of "LET'S GO SAVE THE WORLD" sort of stuff and when you go into a slice of life comedy looking for that, you will be sorely disappointed.

What is slice of life and why should anyone care? It's about life and it's often stupid, comical, trying, and quirky happenings. Reality can be a scary thing since it doesn't have giant robots or magical powers, but you can find enjoyment in the little things of life and the relationships you build. That is what the slice of life genre is about. Characters meeting each other, growing, and just making life fun. Basically, the series focuses the most on the characters rather than a linear plot line. In a lot of ways, creators have to work harder to make enjoyable slice of life comedies instead of the easy ROBOTS BLOWING STUFF UP HECK YEAH.
A prime example of one of the best slice of life comedies is Nichijou (My Ordinary life).

You don't have to care, though. Anime can be all about escaping reality/life to you and you can happily ignore slice of life comedies and go watch space operas or something. XD; Not everyone is going to like slice of life, but just because you don't "get" it, doesn't mean it's valueless to anime as a whole.

Actually, in regards to Tamako Market, I'm noticing that while it started as slice or life, it's building into an interesting and mysterious story. I feel sad for the people who dropped it early, but that's how it goes. :<

*CAPS LOCK is intentional in this post, I was actually yelling as I was typing. :3
goldenspines

Postby randomuser2349 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Not all animes are all "pew pew pew fight fight fight love love love beat the bad guy yay". There are animes that are more casual and realistic.
Keep in mind that anime is just animation from Japan, nothing more, nothing less.
randomuser2349

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Personally, I'm a pretty big fan of the slice-of-life genre (its particulairly refreshing to have a calm, warm atmosphere with colorful characters, which is probably one of the reasons I loved Clannad.) Regarding Tamako Market, its definitely not the best slice of life out there, but its actually quite funny. Sure, the bird can get annoying, and none of the charcters so far have that much depth (although there have been occasional hints here and there), but its still a fun show to tune in to every week.

But in the end, slice of life shows are not for everyone (as was already said). Not all of them are good either. But that's another topic entirely.
Zeldafan2

Postby rocklobster » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 am

If you really want to try slice-of-life, start small. I suggest starting with Whisper of the Heart. Besides, it's Studio Ghibli, so of course it's great.
rocklobster

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I would suggest trying Azumanga Daioh since it tends to lean towards the comedy side of Slice of Life. Slice of Life certainly can be charming, interesting, and heartwarming.

If you are used to action and get bored easily, Slice of Life probably isn't for you.
Yamamaya

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews