Starting a cosplay group?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Starting a cosplay group?

Postby Koneko-chan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:28 pm

I hope this is the right category for this ^^'. Okaay, so, I've been brainstorming for a while now, maybe since August, maybe a few months before August in 2012, And I'm utterly hopeless! I've gotten ideas for a cosplay group, what to do during the cosplay meetings, but I have no idea how to start one.

I might have a few friends that'll join once I tell them eventually, and I heard it helps if your friends have other friends who like cosplay and anime, my cousin has.. Like, ALOT. My other cousin also has ALOT, and my friend, who's in a fencing team, alot of them in the fencing team are otakus! My best friend (Not a fan of anime) says she has a friend in highschool who adores anime, she's like, 15. But, for me, I'm homeschooled, I have no activities, I used to do dance, but not anymore after I moved, and basically, I kinda have no connections. And my mom likes the idea of a cosplay group, but if I made a meetup, she's concerned about what people would go. I've done my research on any meetups, I found this one cosplay group close by, but their pretty much all 18 and up people in it, didn't say what age could come, but I'd feel uncomfortable with a bunch of adults, my sister adores anime as much as I do, but she's just as loose in connections, I just feel kinda stuck here. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance guys! <3
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

You are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven. - The 11th Doctor
No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Total Grell fangirl. :3 <3
Koneko-chan

Re: Starting a cosplay group?

Postby skreyola » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm confused. It sounds like you have enough people to get started. Contact the people you mentioned with meeting details. Move at a pace that makes you comfortable, and let those people invite people they know. Eventually, that should lead to a critical mass, and then you can hold elections for club officers and (later?) let the leadership be taken over by someone else so you can just enjoy attending the meetings without all the responsibility.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Koneko-chan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Ooh. I think I described that pretty badly, My friend lives a pretty busy life, so she only replies to my emails whenever she can, which is only occasional, So other then emails, she doesn't text a lot either, so emails are my only way to contact her.
As for one of my cousins, she and me don't even have each other phone numbers and we haven't seen each other in years, since a relative's death, besides their both in highschool, I don't know if their friends would wanna hang out with me considering I'm a couple years younger, but I dunno.. I'll figure it out once I see my cousins again. Maybe I'll ask my friend and best friend to hang out, maybe I'll meet their friends. Sorry to seem so panicked XD I was just really excited to get a response soon.
"I believe...I want to live my life, carrying my memories with me. Even if those memories are painful, even if those memories do nothing but hurt me...Even those memories I wish I could forget...As long as I keep carrying them with me and don't run away from them. Someday...Someday, I believe I will get to the point where I'm not oppressed by those memories. That's what I want to believe. I'd like to think that there's not a single memory that I have which would be okay to forget." -Momiji Sohma - Fruits Basket

No matter how small the problem is, how small the thing is, it will always effect the people around you. - Yuko Ichihara - XXXHolic
Koneko-chan

Postby skreyola » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 pm

You may have to start with just two or three, but if you have energy, plans, and a fun atmosphere, you're likely to attract more. I wish you all the best.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Koneko-chan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 pm

Thank you. I think people would probably join is my cousin, my other cousin, my sister, and my friend.
That would be good to start out with. Thank you again! :D

Koneko-chan

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews