Rewrite of the [Spring 2013] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Rewrite of the [Spring 2013] anime

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 am

Aku no Hana has a great look to it so I was thinking about introducing it to my anime group, but it looks like it might 'go there' - has anyone watched this and can advise on content and quality ?
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 am

I've only watched the first episode of Karneval, which I enjoyed immensely, and the first episode of Shingeki no Kyojin, which was one of the creepier things I've seen of late -- but also enjoyed. I'm interested in the going-back-to-old-concept idea of giants eating humans.

I started the first episode of Devil Survivor, but wasn't in the mood to try something that started off...silly? But I'll be eventually giving it a second shot.
MightiMidget

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Karneval episode 2:

Well, I have to say, taking into consideration the speed at which they've been going through the chapters (3 per episode! :sweat: ), I'm actually pretty pleased with how they've adapted them so far. :) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Although, IMO, they could do with showing a *little* more of how disturbing the Varuga are (they've cut down the violence just slightly overall). Other than that and the speed (which means that they do have to skip a lot of nice little details and character moments), however, I think they're actually doing pretty good! :thumb:

Oh, and judging by this pace, it looks like the reveal of what Nai actually is should come next episode... :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Hugo Bernhardt wrote:Aku no Hana has a great look to it so I was thinking about introducing it to my anime group, but it looks like it might 'go there' - has anyone watched this and can advise on content and quality ?

With only 2 episodes aired, no one can say 100% what the anime will cover or how much content of the manga it will get through so it may or may not "go there." That said, Aku no Hana is easily the worst show of the season to introduce to a group largely due to its very uhh... questionable content lol.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby DarkNozomi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Hugo Bernhardt wrote:Aku no Hana has a great look to it so I was thinking about introducing it to my anime group, but it looks like it might 'go there' - has anyone watched this and can advise on content and quality ?

What do you mean? It's nothing inappropriate; just about a pretty ordinary guy who steals his classmate's gym clothes. If you're referring to the animation style, it's sort of a motion capture thing, where they try and make the characters human-proportioned. Seeing people with such small eyes is always creepy, but you get over it.
DarkNozomi

Postby Hugo Bernhardt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:13 am

DarkNozomi wrote:

What do you mean? It's nothing inappropriate; just about a pretty ordinary guy who steals his classmate's gym clothes. If you're referring to the animation style, it's sort of a motion capture thing, where they try and make the characters human-proportioned. Seeing people with such small eyes is always creepy, but you get over it.

Heh ! Really, it's the art style that attracted me to this show (I saw a preview), but when I went looking for images for my signs I saw some pages from the manga that might make for uncomfortable public viewing for some of the people in our group - so I figured I'd ask before getting involved in the story line.

With only 2 episodes aired, no one can say 100% what the anime will cover or how much content of the manga it will get through so it may or may not "go there." That said, Aku no Hana is easily the worst show of the season to introduce to a group largely due to its very uhh... questionable content lol.

RIght. Maybe I'll error on the side of caution for my group for now.
Hugo Bernhardt

Postby Falx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 am

Aiura is too short to drop, and I'm liking the fact that all the characters so far are brand new VA's. Their voices sound new and fresh and actually sound like high school girls rather than 30 year old's pretending to be them.

Yuyushiki is interesting, although I'm not sure why... it's not all that different from any number of slice of life shows.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 pm

RDG episode 5:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL at that third sibling :grin: ... his powers were awesome though. :thumb: (And all those slaps... :grin: )

But man, poor Miyuki-- his dad won't leave him alone even there. :shady:

And that end part was pretty interesting-- so, according to the goddess, that dude who was trying to get Izumiko to dance is actually hundreds of years old? And the goddess doesn't want herself to be 'created' (I assume that means manifested permanently) because otherwise she'll end up getting rid of everyone? :pikka: Looking forward to some more explanation there.

Oh, and the bit after the credits was sweet. :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Valvrave ep 2 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: sighhhhhh. I was like 95% sure they would bring her back to life, but after only 1 episode and because she was trapped in a car? REALLY? And they pull the whole dramatic about to lose into magic power up under strenuous situation which I guess is so cliched is okay. And then they pull the "I'm a monster I can't love" card. This writing is so disappointing. At best, it's the wrong genre. Also, the idea of body switching is just so...random and seems like a really poor choice of direction. At least it still looks nice.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:34 am

Studio Trigger are Good People and have uploaded Little Witch Academia for the (English-speaking) world to see.

also valvrave is hilarious

and so is maou-sama but that is intentional so good job
blkmage

Postby spark300c » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:46 pm

in Valvrave for 666 goes I do not know if they put there because SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the machine turns you into a space vampire I do not know where they are going with this theologically.
spark300c

Postby GeneD » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 am

Atria35 wrote:I'm pretty sure that this got accidentally overlooked in the anime, but was definitely well-explained in the manga - they don't comment on it because they don't see the new guy, he has the appearance of the one who was switched to them.
I see, yeah that makes more sense.

Karneval 3: Nai reveal... well I definitely did not expect that. o.O I guess that can work as an excuse for him being kinda annoying. Also lol at Gareki's reaction.

Maou-sama 3: Officially sticking with this now.

Gargantia 2: Still most entertaining. I liked SPOILER: Highlight text to read: how at the end Ledo just obliterates the pirates and how the other characters react to it. I do not like the red-patch-plus-shiny-spotted shoulders, cheeks etc. design on most of the female/younger characters, but at least most of the adults look like adults.

Watched the first episode of Valvrave and Aku no Hana, still undecided about both.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 am

^ Regarding Karneval: Yeah, it's funny; in the manga, I actually didn't really start liking Nai until after that reveal, either. :) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Once you realize what he really is, though, it definitely does make you see him in a different light. (And, anyway, the Niji are adorable. :hug: ) Also, the other characters' reactions (particularly Gareki's :grin: ) are indeed pretty humorous, especially when they occasionally 'hallucinate' a Niji with Nai's expression when they look at him, LOL. :grin:

And now for some comments on Gargantia episode 3:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I figured that's how it would go-- them actually not wanting him to kill other humans, that is, which I happen to agree with :) -- but of course he then still handily pwned the pirate fleet without any killing at all. :thumb: Also: Hee, that halting, accented "Thank you" at the end... :hug:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:24 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:^ Regarding Karneval: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (And, anyway, the Niji are adorable. :hug: ) Also, the other characters' reactions (particularly Gareki's :grin: ) are indeed pretty humorous, especially when they occasionally 'hallucinate' a Niji with Nai's expression when they look at him, LOL. :grin:

Yes they are and yes that totally is. :P

Shingeki no Kyojin 3: That bit after Eren gets the harness right and that song... I can't help thinking this is going to break all our hearts isn't it? Also, best OP of the season.

Crime Edge 2: Okay I might might just be sticking with this for how unintentionally funny this is.

Devil Survivor 2 ep1: So is his hair that fluffy because he wears a bunny hoodie, or does he wear a bunny hoodie because his hair's that fluffy? Also, yay lightning tiger and I'm glad it all kicked off on a Sunday so they're not all in school uniform.

Devil Survivor 2 ep 2: Dramatic big screen TV moment! Talk about colour coded phones. Woah, antagonistic-looking white haired guy has some serious eyelashes. I'm just live-commenting this aren't I? Tentative winner for best ED this season.
Last edited by GeneD on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Well, for some strange reason Funimation's stream of Maou-sama! episode 3 had been delayed until today, but I waited for it. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And ah, I figured the thing about them being fired at was something like that-- that whoever-it-was wants to be rid of *both* leaders. But most of it was really funny, of course. :grin: Not sure if I've mentioned this already, but I really like how well this series balances its seriousness and humor. (Oh yeah, and the end of this episode was interesting, as well.) In other words: still wholeheartedly enjoying this. :thumb:

Also, RDG episode 6: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Heh, that 'dream'-talk Izumiko had with the third Souda sibling was slightly weird, but also slightly cute. :) And the somewhat-more-in-depth-look at the politicking that's going on was a little interesting. More interesting, however, is the power test that Mayura is about to force upon Miyuki...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby spark300c » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:26 am

pick up Karneval. Liking it so far.
spark300c

Postby GeneD » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:59 pm

RDG 6: Mayura is my favourite character, followed closely by her brothers.

Devil Survivor 2 ep 3: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Bye bye angry shorts-wearing kid, we hardly knew ye. I wonder if this means Daichi's "death face" from the previous ep hasn't actually been stopped, just postponed maybe. Daichi reminds me of a less awesome version of Satoshi from Hyouka.

Aku no Hana 2: I'm divided on this series. On the one hand the atmosphere of suspense and dread is really well done (the ED is especially great) and on the other hand I find the whole situation kind of hilarious. I guess it's partly a cultural thing that stolen gym clothes are a Big Deal (TM) but I'm finding it a little hard to take seriously. Maybe I'm just more desensitized to crime but I'm like well if you leave your stuff at school where anyone can just waltz in after hours, yeah your stuff's going to get jacked. Kudos to it for doing the "guy accidentally falls into a girl" thing more realistically though. Also maybe it means I'm totally weird but I actually like Nakamura.
GeneD

Postby KazeShiki » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Valvrave confirmed for comedy of the season.
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Maou-sama! episode 4:

You know how I said a few days ago that I really like how this series balances its seriousness and humor? Well, this episode was another great example, because it was actually mostly serious (...though Alciel was hilarious as always :grin: ) and I loved it just as much as the mostly-funny ones. :thumb: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Some nice backstory on Emi here, along with that interesting connection between Chiho and the police (who were also pretty humorous, actually :grin: ). And I knew there was something up with the landlady-- interesting that she apparently knows pretty much everything, though. Also, opponent revealed! (And I quite like his character design. :) ) Looking forward to next week! :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby spark300c » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 am

loving attack on titan. it epic.
spark300c

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Karneval episode 4:

Well, I do have to say that I still occasionally find it slightly bothering that they're losing so many little details and character moments because of how fast they're speeding through this adaptation... however, I *am* quite pleased that they're following the story correctly. :) And, actually, they *were* able to keep a fair amount of those moments this time. :) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: As for the funnier ones: I had forgotten just how hilarious that carrying scene was (...poor Gareki, being carried like a girl-- *by* a girl, LOL!), and the bit where Gareki finally lets Nai come along on the side trip once he realizes why Nai wants to go (and again sees Nai as a Niji for a few moments, this time with a perfect imploring expression). :grin: And as for the serious ones: I think they did this first part of the twins' story + Gareki's backstory (which is all quite grim-- I mean, aside from Yogi's occasional comic relief :) ) quite well, too (well, aside from the victims'... uh... injuries not being quite so bad, but they've been toning the violence down a little the entire time, so that's fine). Overall, I think they're doing rather well with this adaptation so far.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:48 am

Arata Kangatari 2: More interesting than the first episode. I like that the guys have some contact with each other.

And in the other body switching anime ep 2, if you're going to shoot a guy in the eye, try to aim for the one he usually keeps covered with hair, so that it will make no difference anyway.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 pm

RDG episode 7:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Poor Miyuki-- it's pretty awkward when the person you're supposed to be protecting is multiple orders of magnitude more powerful than you, and the others won't just merely take your word for it, but make you prove it yourself. :sweat:

Anyway, LOL at Masumi taking Manatsu's place and then not bothering to behave anything like him at all, and yet no one except Miyuki and the two girls even notice. :grin: And nice thinking on Miyuki's part during the dance.

Man, though, the ending... I definitely was not expecting Manatsu to be planning that. :wow!: I dearly hope they can stop him before he ends up killing himself... :pikka:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Thu May 02, 2013 2:10 am

RDG 7: Where is the plot?! Clearly the electrical devices thing was just a synopsis gimmick but the series is more than half over and there's still no real coherent plot. A girl and guy with spiritual powers goes to a school where there are other kids with spiritual powers and things happen? It's like there are 3 or 4 different subplots/arcs running, but none of them are related significantly and I can't figure out which one's supposed to be the main one. I'm probably gonna finish this anyway because it's not going to require any extra effort and the characters aren't terrible.

Arata 3-4: Dungeon side adventure to pick up some new characters. Ep 2 seems to have been the rare highlight but hey, at least the plot and themes are clear.
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 am

oh good, I thought I was the only one who was confused about RDG

I mean, it's not awful, but I'm still not quite sure what's going on
blkmage

Postby KazeShiki » Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 pm

I take it PA Works is up to its "cut all explanation from novels" act again? Glad I dropped RDG early on.

Valvrave actually manages to top itself in hilarity every week. This is amazing and it even has pretty beams.
I think Oregairu is just a better done Haganai.
KazeShiki

Postby goldenspines » Fri May 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Late comer actually posting in this thread. But I've been watching:

- Hataraku Maou-sama (taking an interesting story turn, but keeping the great comedy that never fails to make me smile)
- Aiura (it would be the best anime this season if its episodes weren't only 4 minutes long)
- Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san (the other best anime this season. Extra award for the OP)
- Suisei no Gargantia (not into sci-fi, but I do like the characters and story line in this so far. Plus moe.)
- Oregairu/My Teen Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected/SNAFU (This story is not what I expected. It suddenly got extremely serious. It has surprised me in a lot of good ways, though)
- Mugibugyou (the art is pretty. *_* Typical shounen story about being awesome, etc. )

I was going to watch Shingeki no Kyoujin (Attack on Titan), but I really haven't been that excited about it (except the OP)...anyone willing to give it some good words besides the potato girl gifs I keep seeing? XD;
goldenspines

Postby GeneD » Fri May 03, 2013 2:15 pm

goldenspines wrote:I was going to watch Shingeki no Kyoujin (Attack on Titan), but I really haven't been that excited about it (except the OP)...anyone willing to give it some good words besides the potato girl gifs I keep seeing? XD;

If you think you know where this series is going, you're probably wrong. At least I was, but I marathoned the manga till the early hours of several mornings, so I might not have been at my best mental capacity.

Also does this mean I should watch Aiura and Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san? I've seen the first of Muromi-san and yeah that OP is amazing.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri May 03, 2013 2:33 pm

Maou-sama! episode 5:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yep, makes sense (poor Emi). Good for Maou for interrupting the monologue, though. :thumb: (And LOL at Alciel then being really mad that Maou actually spent money on movies. :grin: ) And then of course all the serious and hilarious stuff perfectly mixed together afterward. (Yep-- the balance wins again! :thumb: )

On another note, I also love how fast-paced, exciting, and well-done the action scenes in this series are. And Lucifer was a delightfully evil opponent at first (...and a delightfully terrified and subdued underling by the end ;) ).

And can I just say... Alciel. :grin:

I've loved every episode of this series so far, but this ep. has to be my current favorite! :jump:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Maou-sama has amazing comedy though it doesn't look like it's going to be straight comedy. Muromi-san, on the other hand, has amazing comedy and is a straight comedy but also has some amazing animation. Valvrave also has amazing comedy, but on account of being absolutely insane.
blkmage

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews