Rewrite of the [Spring 2013] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Rewrite of the [Spring 2013] anime

Postby Vii » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:46 am

blkmage wrote:Image

Looks like she's causing electronics problems in the real world too.
Vii

Postby Falx » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Tally so far:

Crime Edge : nope
Photokano : nope
Hataraku Maou-sama : very yep
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 pm

YES! Crunchy's got Gargantia! :jump: Can't wait for Sunday~

And EDIT (again :) ): I also watched the first ep. of Hataraku Maou-sama!, and it was great! :thumb: The unexpected action sequence at the beginning was awesome in and of itself-- and then once it slid into the comedy that I knew it would become, it was hilarious! :lol: I seriously hope the rest of the series is as good as that was.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Photo Kano: nope, not going to fool me again
Oregairu/SNAFU/I'M GUILE: light novely talking
Aku no Hana: This one is controversial because of some artistic choices. I'm leaning on the side of it doesn't particularly add anything to the atmosphere and looks bad.
blkmage

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:29 pm

RDG: well this is worse than I expected. Dropped.
Devil Survivor 2: hmm interesting for now
Oregairu: Hayami Saori's character is not intolerable which means can use as drama CD o/
Date a Live: about as cliched as you can get. sure why not.

Not gonna bother suffering through an animated Aku no Hana but art direction sounds pretty hilarious from what I've read.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby spark300c » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 am

I happy that Crunchyroll will soon stream Gargantia on the Verdurous planet. That one I am, really looking forward to watching.
Last edited by spark300c on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spark300c

Postby Vii » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:42 pm

So far...

Majestic Prince: Standard plot. Enjoyed the self-awareness of the series. Will give it another few episodes.
Devil Survivor 2: Could be good. Could be a trainwreck. Will give it another episode or two.
Maou-sama: Surprisingly good. Will definitely keep watching.
RDG: (Episodes 1-3) Caught my attention. Will keep watching out of curiosity.
Vii

Postby GeneD » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Red Data Girl: The protagonist was annoying at first but she got more bearable surprisingly quickly and it seems rather interesting so far, although my expectations aren't particularly high.
Karneval: The look of it reminds me a bit of Pandora Hearts. Cool so far.
Crime Edge: This show reminds me of that one Courage the Cowardly Dog episode with that creepy guy who likes to cut/shave hair and says "naughtyyyyyy" a lot. Too bad this isn't like that. I won't be watching any more.
GeneD

Postby blkmage » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Karneval: idk, not feeling it yet, maybe it'll get better
Muromi-san: excellent gags and animation and Char's Counterattack reference
Shingeki no Kyojin: ballin
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

Gargantia... episode 1:

Well, as expected, that certainly kept my interest. :) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And LOL, I really like the robot, too. :grin: Quite looking forward to the rest! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:57 am

Shingeki no Kyojin: Giants are scary. Definitely watching.

Gargantia: I like the characters. I like the setup. I like the squirrel-thing. I like the funny AI system. I like the art. I like the animation. I like the use of a language barrier. I like...that there's nothing I don't like so far. ^_^ Watching.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Vii wrote:Gargantia: I like the characters. I like the setup. I like the squirrel-thing. I like the funny AI system. I like the art. I like the animation. I like the use of a language barrier. I like...that there's nothing I don't like so far. ^_^ Watching.

^ Exactly! :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:43 am

The week ahead:

MONDAY April 8
0105 - Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W (TV Tokyo)
0600 - Mushibugyo (TV Tokyo)

TUESDAY April 9
0135 - Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (TV Tokyo)
0205 - Arata Kanagatari (TV Tokyo)

WEDNESDAY April 10
0030 - Yuyushiki (Tokyo MX)
0135 - Aiura (TV Tokyo)

FRIDAY April 12
0135 - Valvrave the Liberator (MBS)
2330 - A Certain Scientific Railgun S (AT-X)

SATURDAY April 13
2230 - The Hentai Prince and Stony Cat (Tokyo MX)
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Karneval episode 1:

First, I have to preface this by saying that I *really* want this to be a good adaptation, because I really love the manga. :) And while I knew that the pace of the anime's adaptation would probably be quite fast (to get to a good stopping point for the end of the show, I figured they'd have to cover at least 2 chapters per episode, and ep. 1 here actually did *3* {well, minus a bunch of chapter 2 that I was actually totally fine with them skipping, since it wasn't that important and would've just slowed everything down :) }), I was relieved to see that they actually did pretty well so far with this ep., IMO. :thumb: Cautiously excited for the rest!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Gargantia: moe
Mushibugyou: seemed cool but then spiders nope
Arata Kangatari: I'm actually way more interested in real-world Arata's real-world story than anything else
blkmage

Postby Vii » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:12 am

Arata Kangatari: Maybe this isn't quite my kind of anime, but I'll give it a few more episodes to get rolling.

Crime Edge: HAIR. Meh.
Vii

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Karneval was okay, it could go either way. Not as wildly different as I was hoping it would be, unfortunately.

Gargantia was awesome. I know most people were down on the space battle, but I liked it. The real highlight was the super cool setting it's obviously about to start exploring.

Maou-sama was pretty funny and also surprisingly well-animated. I think my favorite gag was when he got all excited about that pay raise, though it's bigger than the raise I got after two years so really it just made me feel pathetic.

Red Data Girl was a little dull but also ridiculously pretty, so I think I'll keep up for a little bit.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:22 am

Hataraku Maou-sama!: I don't know, still making my mind up about this one. I'll probably give it another ep or two.

Arata Kangatari: I wasn't particularly impressed and it bugged me that no one in fantasy-kingdom commented on his change of clothes and haircut, even if it's expected from someone who returns from that forest.

Shingeki no Kyojin: Question in the relevant thread.

Suisei no Gargantia: Well, I am excited for this and I'd rate this the highest of the first episodes in terms of sheer entertainment. I particularly liked how the main character accesses and reacts to his new environment completely in line with his military training.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Well, Funimation got RDG for streaming; however, they're three episodes behind, and it appears that it's going to stay that way (so I'm not quite sure how that qualifies as a 'simulcast,' LOL :sweat: ), and I don't want to wait another three weeks for ep. 4, so I'm just going to continue watching it as I have been so far. :P (I *will* go and run the Funi vids in the background each week though to show my support for the stream. :) )

So, anyway, RDG episode 4: I really like both Izumiko's roommate Mayura and her brother Manatsu :) , and whoa-- while I expected that other kid to be an antagonist, I wasn't expecting him to seriously try to SPOILER: Highlight text to read: kill someone. :pikka: Loved Miyuki's SPOILER: Highlight text to read: spiritual arrow moment, too. So, yeah, I quite liked that episode-- and it should be fun to see how they put that guy in his place next week... :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 pm

I tried Hayate because I heard there was A-tan. Can't tell if actually better than last season or animating manga+A-tan just makes it better by default. I wouldn't say Kawasumi Ayako's voicing was what I wanted from her but it's decent enough. I'll take what I can get at this point.

Gargantia has lots of pretty, pointless beam spam. Second half was really well done. Surprised it's only going to be 1 cour.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby blkmage » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Funimation actually isn't behind on RDG (well, they might be one week behind). The TV broadcasts for RDG started last week, but Nico Nico Douga started streaming it last month, so they're actually three weeks ahead.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:59 pm

^ Ah, got it. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Valvrave the Liberator: Started off alright. Got progressively more dramatic and cheesy, to the point where I was laughing at the serious stuff. Eh...

Aku no Hana: Haven't decided how I feel about the animation. The backgrounds are nice, though. Story is eh, but it was exposition, so I think next episode might be better. And that ED. Dang it's creepy.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 pm

...Maou-sama! episode 2:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Bwahaha, when their fight got stopped by the police but they just figured it was a lovers' quarrel. :grin:

I love how ridiculously normal all the characters are without their powers... except when Maou starts to describe his extremely illogical plan of how he'll conquer Japan (and Ente Isla) by working his way up through the fast food ranks, ROTFL. :lol:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, the mystery-magic-sniper bit was interesting, and it should be fun to eventually see what's up with that (as well as the earthquake connection). :)

Yeah, I'm quite enjoying this. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 pm

Valvrave: highlight was T.M. Revolution x Nana Mizuki followed by SPOILER: Highlight text to read: suddenly space vampires
blkmage

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Valvrave: (almost) the most predictable, standard first episode possible but at least we get SPOILER: Highlight text to read: confession death trigger and vampires. I really hope they don't bring her back to life via vampire powers though which I can totally see happening. split cour means animation quality will stay good.
Railgun: really standard Railgun stuff. A wild Hanakana appears.
Oregairu ep2: this needs more Yukino lines.
KazeShiki

Postby DarkNozomi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Date a Live: Best series of Spring 2013! It's got a good balance of everything... fighting (both swords and guns), romance, extraterrestrials (or something like that), comedy, and secret organizations. And it's even framed sort of like a video game, which is both hilarious and really cool. My current must-watch series.

Shingeki no Kyojin: Awesome idea and really freaky visuals. It's sort of outside of the box (no pun intended) in terms of concept, but that's part of its charm. High hopes for this series.

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. (Season 2): I don't usually fall for romance anime, but this one is cool because it's unique. Personally, I'm cheering for Kuroneko, but that's mostly because Kirino is so nasty most of the time.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet: Sort of like Gundam Wing, but I'll give it a few episodes. It already changed direction completely, halfway through the first episode, I hope it picks a direction and sticks with it.

Hataraku Maou-sama!: Funny! Just really funny.

Dansei Bunri no Crime Edge: Too cute for words, but there's blood and murder. Strangely, these can combine for a really promising series. Another one that I have high hopes for.

Meh, those are the ones I'm most enthusiastic about, anyhow.
DarkNozomi

Postby spark300c » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Most intrest thing about Valvrave the Liberator is SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the main character is space vampire the oddest scene was random boob grab which made no since at all. I am looking forward see how next episode turns out.
I going to stop watching Majestic Prince because the boss mechanic lady ware her suit showing excessive cleavage. in two episodes she give close up in a way that me feel real nervous and dirty.
spark300c

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Gargantia episode 2:

Still really loving this. :jump: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: LOL-- "But it's a corpse!" :grin: And whoa, that precision vaporization... :pikka:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:41 pm

GeneD wrote:Arata Kangatari: I wasn't particularly impressed and it bugged me that no one in fantasy-kingdom commented on his change of clothes and haircut, even if it's expected from someone who returns from that forest.

I'm pretty sure that this got accidentally overlooked in the anime, but was definitely well-explained in the manga - they don't comment on it because they don't see the new guy, he has the appearance of the one who was switched to them.
Atria35

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews